Anyone Want To Help Me With A Tron Game Idea?

aesir911

aesir triumphs
i have the ideas but not the knowledge. I have been playing a game for the ipod touch called light bike, and thought it would be amazing to put a tron like game on the wiz, but with a "story" mode. more like various competitions and whatnot. it would be great to using the wifi to play online. i have so many ideas but i do not have the technological know how to make it happen. is there anyone who is willing to help me with it? such as working together, taking on the product altogether, and informing me on how to do it alone (in order of what i am hoping for). it would be awesome for the pandora too, but i haven't received mine yet and it seems like it would be much simpler to do it on the caanoo.

i think this guy can help you: terry.g ( a new gp32x member ):

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/57191-im-stupid-spammer-nokia-x5-01-for-just-220-terrygbarryyahoocom/

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd only be able to make time from Jan. 2011. If you're still looking by that time, we could give it a go? However, more importantly ... are you good at making graphics? :) There is no problem for me to cover the coding, but would love to team up with a really good pixel artist.

Detritus said:
I'd only be able to make time from Jan. 2011. If you're still looking by that time, we could give it a go? However, more importantly ... are you good at making graphics? :) There is no problem for me to cover the coding, but would love to team up with a really good pixel artist.

i am adept with photoshop and gimp, so pixel art would be pretty easy to get into (especially with a simpler game like tron). do you know of any software i can work with till we get started in january?

For pixel art, I've seen ppl work magic with DeluxePaint - that is if you have 2D in mind.
If it's 3D, then Photoshop for textures and either 3DStudio Max or Maya for modeling. What is it you like to do most yourself? Coding, graphics, game design?

Detritus said:
For pixel art, I've seen ppl work magic with DeluxePaint - that is if you have 2D in mind.
If it's 3D, then Photoshop for textures and either 3DStudio Max or Maya for modeling. What is it you like to do most yourself? Coding, graphics, game design?

game design especially, but would like to help out with coding and graphics too. (i can figure out graphics alone i think, but coding i would need some guidance.)

Well the way I got started myself, was by getting an example/sdk running, then doing a Hello World, then an image on screen, then an animation, then controls, adding enemies and eventually a level... and before I knew it I'd rebuilt LodeRunner. Surely you could try something similar yourself if you'd like to learn about coding?

The 2DExample that comes with the linux SDK is a fine example to begin with imho.

If you'd like to play around with an existing game engine to test your game ideas; there are packages out there to mod levels and script stuff for existing games - that is another quick way to gain some experience without going into depth with coding?

do you know any programs for coding? i really know absolutely nothing about coding.

I use VIM and a commandline. However, maybe using Eclipse or CodeBlocks would be easier for you? Unfortunately I don't use IDEs (Integerated Development Environments) - so I can't help you with that. If you want to try coding - pick a language, get an editor (or IDE), compile[link]run some samples, try to roll your own code and you're on your way.

First thing is to get started, next thing is to find out what you want to ask/learn.

One of the things you will have to figure out, when doing C++ (or other compiled languages), is how to get your edit/compile/link/execute development process going. Though this is separate from writing actual code, it is a crucial part of programming (and it can be a very complex/frustrating part).

If you feel that this side is a bit too much at the moment and you'd rather get going with the code writing part as quick as possible, you could try an interpreted language like Python first maybe. Getting something up and running in Python is considerable less work than it is with C++ and you can get into the writing code part more quickly.

Most important part is just to get started. Then just keep going.

Can you make Python games for the caanoo? Anyway, Love2D is now available for Caanoo, and BennuGD also seems popular. This should be very well suited for beginners. See if you can find any tutorials around :)

It seems that you want to create something from scratch which is honestly an admirable thing, but perhaps porting over something like http://armagetronad.net where as if my memory serves correctly is an open source game, might be a more worth while starting point.

/shrug just my 2cp.

Back