App Request - Duke Nukem: Alien Armageddon (Duke Nukem 3D mod) (Branch? Custom compile? of EDuke32 PND)

DrasticNerd

Script Kiddie
I'm interested in playing Duke Nukem: Alien Armageddon on my Pandora. Since this is a mod for Duke Nukem 3D, this may be as simple as dumping the files into the EDuke32 data folder. I haven't tried that however because I want to keep my EDuke data clean so that I can still play the original/"vanilla" Duke Nukem 3D.

However if there was a separate PND made for this mod and if this PND were to use a different appdata folder then it would be possible to play both DN3D and DNAA on the same Pandora while keeping saves + game data separate.

Is there a kind programmer out there who would be interested in creating a custom PND of EDuke32 for Alien Armageddon? (I can't even compile, let alone port! :()

Why not learn to compile / port stuff? It's a bunch of fun when you get the hang of it.

Also you could just rename the appdata folder and move between then when you want a different version?

Alternatively extract the pnd, change teh attributes required in the pxml, (Appdata directory, pnd name etc) squash the pnd again. Profit.

Or you could have a simple script that does the renaming of the appdata folder and launching of the PND

Reactions: rSl
Why not learn to compile / port stuff? It's a bunch of fun when you get the hang of it.
Actually I have tried several times. I know this may sound pathetic but I just can't get my head around it. It is puzzling because have learnt a few different programming languages over the years (to varying degrees of proficiency) but they all have one thing in common. They are all script based languages. Learning object oriented languages gives me headaches (literally) to the point that I end up giving up!

Or you could have a simple script that does the renaming of the appdata folder and launching of the PND
Thanks for the suggestion. I would prefer to have a separate PND to launch a total conversion mod rather than running a script each time I want to swap over.

Alternatively extract the pnd, change teh attributes required in the pxml, (Appdata directory, pnd name etc) squash the pnd again. Profit.
Its app data directory is defined in its PXML? If that's the case then even I will be able to create a separate PND for this! Thanks for the tip @Wally ;) I will check it out and upload it later after I get it working.

I'm stumped. I extracted the eduke32 pnd from the repo and changed all references I could find in PXML and other files. I rezipped the edited files with 7z to create a new PND but the new PND doesn't appear in my Pandora menu. I located the PND manually on the card (using Thunor) but it appears as having an archive icon and - more importantly - will not run as an executable. o_O

For Windows we have the PNDTools here:
I used them for all my PNDs on the Repo and its a wonderfull Software with a nice and easy Gui.
Thanks for the Creator of this Software :)

For Windows we have the PNDTools here:
I used them for all my PNDs on the Repo and its a wonderfull Software with a nice and easy Gui.
Thanks for the Creator of this Software :)
Thanks @ingoreis but the download and its mirror are both dead

I'm interested in playing Duke Nukem: Alien Armageddon on my Pandora. Since this is a mod for Duke Nukem 3D, this may be as simple as dumping the files into the EDuke32 data folder. I haven't tried that however because I want to keep my EDuke data clean so that I can still play the original/"vanilla" Duke Nukem 3D.

However if there was a separate PND made for this mod and if this PND were to use a different appdata folder then it would be possible to play both DN3D and DNAA on the same Pandora while keeping saves + game data separate.

Is there a kind programmer out there who would be interested in creating a custom PND of EDuke32 for Alien Armageddon? (I can't even compile, let alone port! :()
Hello
After some time spent on compiling a newer version of eduke32 (they switched to an alternative malloc that i wasn't able to compile on Pandora and Pyra :(), i was instead able to compile a relative recent version (v9607 around Sept 2021) without this malloc replacement ...and here it is a new build of the eduke32.
I spent some more free time to test with Alien Armageddon release (v443) and it work almost good ....speed is ok but it only work using a 800*480 screen at only 8bit...(it say that 32 bit screen mode isn't available on my machine)...naturally it use gl4es.

As requested i done a separated PND (using a separated directory for this Alien Armageddon release)....to test you need to
-Run the PND and it create the dir (duke3d_alienarmageddon) inside pandora/appdata/
-Now copy DUKE.RTS and DUKE3D.GRP from your release of Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition (or any other supported version...but i have this edition)
-Now copy the whole content of the Alien Armageddon zip file inside this same directory BUT don't replace the file "settings.cfg" as this file is adapted for Pandora (if you accidentally overwrite it no problem ...delete "settings.cfg and "eduke32.cfg" from the appdata/duke3d_alienarmageddon folder and the pnd will copy both when you run again).

At start the eduke32 is set to run with the graphical GTK front end...(i forgot to disable it at compile time...compiling again is so time consuming....maybe on the next release).

Please Note....on a CC Pandora you NEED a swap file (the game is memory hungry)...512MB is ok

Please test and report....and enjoy

Attachments

• dukeAlienArmag_v1.pnd
    10.3 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Yes, provided you check you're #including stdlib.h near the top too. Functionally they're claimed to be identical although mimalloc focusses on speed, while malloc is just the way gnu libc does it.

Back