App request

Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
As I'm seeing Plex (www.plexapp.com) appear on so many devices like Android, IOS, PC, Linux and even my Samsung TV, I was wondering if my Pandora would be able to run a plex client.

I paid (some) money for the Android and IOS version and I would surely donate (some) for an open pandora version too.

Would there be devs out there interested in looking into this?

From their website:

System Requirements
• 1.6 GHz processor (2.4 GHz dual core for 1080p transcoding). • 256 MB RAM
In short: no.

Besides, they only have binary-packages on their website -> another no.

Your only hope would be with the devs of the software and I doubt that they're interested in a niche device like the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ofcourse the official windows or linux client won't work, but...

On my old Android phone works perfectly fine too, it's not 1.6Ghz by a long shot. Also I think the total RAM it has is 256 MB.

Somehow some 3rd party dev made his own client work on a samsung TV or blu-ray player utilizing the TV's media player. I thought plex used some sort of API and the client needs some sort of front-end for browsing through the shows and movies, triggering the stream wiiith the prefered transcoding settings. 800x480 for my phone and for my pandora too but more for my tv or ipad.

Still a no? Would it work if I ran android on my Pandora?

Did you read the second "no"?

If they have binary only packages, it's likely not going to work here. There's a totally different processor in the pandora...it'd need to be rebuilt. I did a quick glance on their web site, and didn't see any source code.

If it worked on a nokia N900, you /might/ have some luck with the binaries - but in general nothing can run on the pandora unless a community member gets the source.

I'm not talking about a port, I'm talking about creating a front-end for the plex-server which does all the on-demand/real-time transcoding work.

It's just a movie/series/music database, accesible over a LAN that serves video or audio transcoded to a format on request.

How the media eventually will be played is up to the one that made the client. The guy that created the samsung tv front-end uses the samsung media player that's in the TV already. My guess was that maybe mplayer or similar could be launched by the front-end on the pandora.

If any of you would have taken the effort to even look at it before screaming no. :)

I'm sure if XBMC can be done, this can be done and maybe easier even.

If only I could code....

Could you pick out a few links to any pages about its documentation for us? :)

How does it actually work?

Yeah for me it was also just a first glance from their page.

We have no idea how this software works.

In the first post you said people had their software running on these devices.

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Main_Page

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_AdvancedInfo

I guess someone with XML experience could Cook something up....

It works as follows

You set up a plex server with your media on it, i use an old laptop thats connected to my nas.

the server automagically scans your media and looks up the cover art, episode or movie info etc. It puts it all in a database which you can access with a client to browse through and start the media from a nice xbmc like front end.

The server streams and transcodes the media to the client in the preferred quality. Hence i can stream media to my phone over 3G in low quality or watch high quality on my lan wifi. The free server does all the work and can be accessed through a web page

Edit: i use the old laptop with a nas because my qnap nas is too old (slow) for the qnap version of the server software. Otherwise I could have done it with just one machine but alas....

Back