Would SuperZaxxon make money?

Hồng Thất Công

Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp
I was walking in the park today and an idea popped up in my head.  The idea was how OPT can make some extra money to support engineering and development costs as well as other costs for P2.  So the idea in my head was what would happen if notaz and OPT were to port SuperZaxxon over to run on Android and charge something like $2.99, $3.99, or even $4.99 (I don't know I just throw some numbers out)?  Would this be possible to port SZ over and run full speed on today's Android devices (I would guess so as the Shield and Samsung S4 are most powerful beasts of the Android jungle)?  I think it would attract a lot of people who do not know about P1 and the OpenPandora community and at the same time, OPT and notaz can make some money.  With SZ on Android, users will have access to the full Repo and enjoy the awesome libary there for free! And only then full Open Office Suite can be run on Android devices.

You may say that this is a crazy idea as it would kill Pandora sell or even kill the prospective P2.  IMO, I don't think so because P1 and the P1's successor are and would be physically different from all others portable devices in the market (things like real gaming controls and real keyboard, etc.)  It may even have a positive impact on P1 sell as well as P2 sell since more people know about the openpandora.

Well, I may just be dreaming again and need to get slapped to wake up :p

I already have SZ running on my phone....
How?
Linux Deploy app on Google Play. SSH works great so I can enter commands no problem. But sadly, I cant access the GUI because I cant run a VNC server without having a framebuffer already setup. And I was unable to find a copy of VirtualFrameabuffer that was compatable with ARM Linux.

I already have SZ running on my phone....
How?
Linux Deploy app on Google Play. SSH works great so I can enter commands no problem. But sadly, I cant access the GUI because I cant run a VNC server without having a framebuffer already setup. And I was unable to find a copy of VirtualFrameabuffer that was compatable with ARM Linux.
That's what I'm trying to say.  I would pay to buy SZ if it is easy just to download and install like any other apps on Play Store and runs just like on the pandora on my Shield and my wife's S4 (i.e., full Gui as well as minimenu experience, etc).

Even if you could get Angstrom working on a phone with the PND system, there is no guarantee if any of them would work.. Hell even Yars Revenge (Next iteration of the OS for Pandora aka .next) may break half of the PNDs on the repo.

Edit: then on top of that you have to consider that phones have different SoCs, which each library, binaries...etc may need to be compiled for that specific target.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you could get Angstrom working on a phone with the PND system, there is no guarantee it any of them would work.. Hell even Yars Revenge (Next iteration of the OS for Pandora aka .next) may break half of the PNDs on the repo.
Yeah, and most PNDs use notaz SDL nowadays which would probably not run very well for non-Pandora hardware.

Just can the idea already. 

Even if you could get Angstrom working on a phone with the PND system, there is no guarantee it any of them would work.. Hell even Yars Revenge (Next iteration of the OS for Pandora aka .next) may break half of the PNDs on the repo.
Yeah, and most PNDs use notaz SDL nowadays which would probably not run very well for non-Pandora hardware.

Just can the idea already. 
If they work with SDL, it wouldn't be a big problem.

Porting libPND to other GNU/Linux distros (e.g. Debian) makes sense - perhaps even for non-ARM platforms: some PNDs contain only Python, Java or shell scripts, so no reason why those would not work on other platforms. Also there could be different repos for different platforms.

Porting it to Android: maybe, why not. More work though, and not sure if there is any benefit over .apk

^ Sure, but I think what he was getting at was having something totally compatible to the Pandora. Not something someone would put a ton of time recompiling PNDs to another platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Porting libPND to other GNU/Linux distros (e.g. Debian) makes sense - perhaps even for non-ARM platforms: some PNDs contain only Python, Java or shell scripts, so no reason why those would not work on other platforms. Also there could be different repos for different platforms.
It has little value over using another distro running on top of Android then. Shenmue wants actual PND compatibility across the board, but that wouldn't work that way.  

^ Sure, but I think what he was getting at was having something totally compatible to the Pandora. Not something someone would put a ton of time recompiling PNDs to another platform.
Yep.

It has little value over using another distro running on top of Android then. Shenmue wants actual PND compatibility across the board, but that wouldn't work that way.  
 The average users like myself don't give a crap (or don't even know) what's running on top of what as long as it runs well we'll buy it.  Look at all the stuff, good and not good, they put on Play Store all make money.    

Ya, you can make a quick $1,000 frome making a stupid fart app. But thats because it entertaining. I doubt people would flock to a $3 "Pandora Emulator"

The average users like myself don't give a crap (or don't even know) what's running on top of what as long as it runs well we'll buy it.  Look at all the stuff, good and not good, they put on Play Store all make money.    
There is still the question if the money that is beeing made is worth the effort that has to be put into it is. notaz (which is as far as I know, not motivated my money) would need to make certain that super zaxxon and all pnds would keep working over a variety of plattforms, sounds like an awful lot of work. Plus the time you have to spend on support, something neither notaz nor Ed would have time for. Additionally, with the Pandora beeing a "non 3G/4g/whatever" device, most people would expect at least some basic phone functionality which would need to be added, which would add to the dev and support time.

In the end I would like to extend your statement: "The average user does not care wether he uses open software or closed software as long as it does what he/she wants" 

With that in mind, which software do you deem beeing a "system seller" for SZ on Android devices ?

Back