[Poll] Additional hardware for the P2

As built in (would increase price of P2)

• Sim reader and suitable transmition hardware for long range internet access.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Broadcast radio reciver(s) FM DAB(+) DMB DVB

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • -Ignore-

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camera(s)

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Gyroscape/accelerometer

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Magnetometer/GPS

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I don't want to vote in this category

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
<compulsory jabber about the P2 being a long way off, expensive etc> (I have no expectation that the Team will act on any results here, but it is worth having the information.)

I am not trying to turn the P2 into a phone, however, as a portable multipurpose computer, (similar) additional hardware could be useful>

This is working on the assumption that the P2 will be a clamshell very similar to the P1.

Simply, I would be interested what (if any) added hardware features people would like.

Here is a brief summary of why anyone would want the above:

1. Allows internet access anywhere, also phone functionality with a headset (or as speakerphone). Perhaps you like texting?
  2. Would boost the Pandora as media player, would work anywhere (without expense) Linux-compatible Digital broadcast receivers are very hard to find (if such was available as an expansion unit, it would have a market across the Linux community)
  3. Some like thin gadgets, some like long battery life. Best of both?
  4. If you carry your Pandora around with you, you might want a camera (?)
  5. Might increase compatibility with Android, and some interesting use would be made of it...
  6. As the Pandora has a nice, big battery (also nubs for scrolling), it would make a good navigation device?

If something you would like is not on there, I can add it. <excluding giant lasers etc>

What could be a suitable expansion card/module arrangement for the Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
How good are phone style cameras these days? Is the zoom any good? Are they particularly fragile?

An external camera module with real moving optics might be fun...

I'd say thow in as many things as possible and make it a mini super computer. Just don't put android on it. I can't stand that crap. I don't care how much apps they have for it. Its friggin annoying.

Sorry for not posting right after I voted, but I voted for a built-in camera, and opted not to vote in the other two categories. :p I'm really not interested in any further additions, myself, as I think the balance is just about right with the first one, as it is.

I voted on for the accelerometer because one could be added to the board (assuming there's room, it's a pretty small chip) to the existing i2c lines for as little as a dollar, though you'd probably want a 3-axis one for a little bit more. Couple more dollars gets you a gyro and/or a compass. At most $10 to add all three, and that's retail without bulk pricing.

GPS would be cool, but it is neither trivial nor cheap to add.

Any internal stuff that won't significantly impact the price of the unit, and maybe even if they do a bit.

Camera for webcam would be dandy I suppose. An outward facing camera would annoy me, even though I can't think of a legitimate argument against one.

Id really like to see something that would allow the pandora to replace my phone entirely. Yes keep it a computer, not a phone. But some long range/constant internet connection and some good VoIP software would be amazing. Which should be feasable in the present if im not mistaken...

Id really like to see something that would allow the pandora to replace my phone entirely. Yes keep it a computer, not a phone. But some long range/constant internet connection and some good VoIP software would be amazing. Which should be feasable in the present if im not mistaken...
Yeah. I agree.

I also would like little improvements like USB 3.0 Support

Faster SD

Better W-Lan

I don't like a camera. Where should it be. If it'd be on the same place the Nintendo Sd Camera is I don't like the appereance any more. If It'd be beside the charger it'd be ok.

I voted for UMTS and GPS.

Do you think there is room for the Pandora to grow as a portable media player?

I think a combination of battery life, sound quality, xbmc, and Radio/digital TV hardware could attract quite a few people. :)

I'll take the Pandora exactly as it is, only with a faster CPU, more RAM and a decent WiFi chip.

Extras like USB 3.0 and SDXC might be nice, but I could live without them... I already do!

I guess I'm not one of the folks who uses the Pandora as a mini PC.

As for expansion packs- some sort of expansion port and the ability to connect a dock with all sorts of gubbins in it might be nice. Most people would say this already exists in the guise of a USB hub, though.

R2/L2 would be nice, too... somehow. Fitting decent shoulder buttons onto a hand-held is seriously tricky stuff.

Any sort of 3G connectivity is redundant, IMO, I just have a MiFi to share between all my gadgets.

The main problem with expansion units is that they mustn't stick out to much, otherwise the Pandora looses its pocketability.

I would like to take my Pandora then use it as a media player/receiver, games console, netbook, navigation device etc.

Plugging in Hubs&Dongles every time would be frustrating; Hunting for Linux-compatible devices would be offputting.

However, manufacture of such devices, even if they are based around a single chip would be added work for the hardware guys here (although spread out when compared to everything being on one board?)(external units might reduce the returned Pandora count?)

If I asked whether neat expansion modules are a possibility in/on a P2, would I get an enigmatic answer from Craig?

Back