Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mutilator

Website
Visit site
hi all.

After reading through the "Should The Pandora Become An Ubuntu Partner?" thread i was wondering what OS you would choose if you had the choice. Ive added the more popular linux distros to the poll and would be intrested to see what you all personally would like to see the pandora run as a alternate OS. I know some of these distros wont likely run on the pandora but i would like to see would choose.

This is a silly poll. Many of those OSes are desktop distros not really suitable for a portable device.

More to the point, unless a partnership with the Ubuntu people changes this, the thing is going to ship with Angstrom. (The official OS of the Beagleboard) That's not even on the list!

This is a silly poll. Many of those OSes are desktop distros not really suitable for a portable device.

More to the point, unless a partnership with the Ubuntu people changes this, the thing is going to ship with Angstrom. (The official OS of the Beagleboard) That's not even on the list!

this poll was for fun, and as i said i know most of them wont work but i was just curious what everyone would pick if it could

Haiku! The BeOS family is excellent at getting the most out of low end specs (relative to PCs). But, other than the sheer geek pleasure in it, there's seriously no point. The GUI wouldn't work that great, there'd be no drivers or software. But it'd be a combination of my two favorite projects. =)

Edit:
Hmm... on second thought, I might be wrong about there being no point. So far, I've mostly been thinking of the Pandora as a gaming console/PDA/portable media player. Haiku, OTOH, probably stands out more on things like sub notebooks where the efficiency of the OS really stands out. A leaner desktop OS on the Pandora might give a more pleasant user experience. It might be the difference between "runs, albeit slowly" and "runs as well as a laptop or PC". But there's still the lack of software that would limit its usefulness.

I would love if it got its own OS. Would ensure 100% compatibility and feature usage for the applications made for it.
This should be considered if there is a Pandora 2 with a wider userbase (with lots developers) and the need for lots of performance (even more than what linux can offer - which is alot) and so on..

Aimless_E said:
Zor Prime said:
Haiku. @#%! *nix. ;)
But does it work on arm processors?

There is interest in porting Haiku to ARM from a couple Haiku developers.

One of them also works for ARM.

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:

The Pandora will ship with Angstrom. Therefore it's quite pointless of having a poll with Angstrom as an alternative, thats probably why it's not listed :)

Where is BackTrack, the Slax distro. PPP Portable Pentesting Pandora :)
(I know it would mean porting hundreds of applications, and would be an inordinate amount of work)

Squidge said:
VRAndy said:

The Pandora will ship with Angstrom. Therefore it's quite pointless of having a poll with Angstrom as an alternative, thats probably why it's not listed :)
Oh. That makes sense. My brain must have missed the word "alternate".

Sorry.

/me votes, and promises to read more carefully next time.

I think that GNU/Linux users can get kind of attached to their favourite distro...

Really its "Horses for Courses" so whatever actually works is fine by me :)

Personally I'd like to see Slackware - ARMedslack looks interesting.

I'd say Debian (assuming it was optimized for the Pandora/armv7a). Most of the speed benefits of Gentoo + instant-ish software installs of Debian - Speed penalty for using generic armel optimizations + constant updates = win.

The ability to easily bootstrap it/do installs from scratch (without Gnome/KDE and kilos of other programs and libs you don't want) is nice as well.

skelso said:
I think that GNU/Linux users can get kind of attached to their favourite distro...
I think SOME users can get attached to their pet distro. This GNU/Linux user has been using so many distros for so long that he's not attached to any given one. My preference, which isn't what I end up telling people to use (It might be, might not depending on what they're looking for.) is for Ubuntu. It's what my GF is using right at the moment to do her online MIS Master's work right at the moment and on the "craptop" making this post with. However... It's not practical to put Ubuntu on the NAND. It's practical to put it on the SD. Same goes with the other desktop distros.

Each to their own, but really, if you want to know this old Linux fart's opinion on things, there's a bit of a reason for Angstrom being chosen. (Besides, I think you're going to find that there's going to be many of the apps you think won't be there will be optional packages if I've any say in the matter (And, I believe I will, since I'm one of the people doing the Angstrom packaging for the Pandora... ;))

Capn_Fish said:
I'd say Debian (assuming it was optimized for the Pandora/armv7a). Most of the speed benefits of Gentoo + instant-ish software installs of Debian - Speed penalty for using generic armel optimizations + constant updates = win.

The ability to easily bootstrap it/do installs from scratch (without Gnome/KDE and kilos of other programs and libs you don't want) is nice as well.

We over at gentoo-arm-pandora will be optimizing for the cortex-a8 and using a pandora overlay to install everything as pre-built binaries. Maybe when we have something finished you will take a look at us.

Not sure that there's a really good reason for this poll, since were any of these OS's released onto the Pandora, they probably wouldn't function like the originals (and if they did, then something's wrong). But, it's still very interesting.

If I had to choose an OS based on which one I like best for PC, I would choose Ubuntu. But, my second choice would be openSUSE, since Ubuntu hasn't worked as it's supposed to for me. Also, openSUSE is very good.

If I had to choose one based on which I think is best to be ported to the Pandora, I would say Debian, since it seems to be the one best suited to such a project, but then again, I probably don't really know.

Back