Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slackware

• Ubuntu

• Other

• Total voters

I'm not familiar with Arch Linux, and some of the other distros, but any argument that pre-compiled binaries are better/more available in one distro or another is a completely moot argument unless that distro has an extensive repository for arm packages. Ubuntu is working on one, and some of the other 'leading' distros such as Debian do have some files.

Additionally, even if you are using a pre-compile binary repository for arm processors, which version is it compiled for? Comparison arguement to installing i686 binaries for the latest Intel/AMD core, slightly different in optimizations, same can be said with ARM7a-Cortex A8 and ARM5. Unless you are willing to recompile all of the packages for Cortex-A8 processor, you will have to trade compatibility for optimizations.

Well, I think the deafult angstrom will probably be the best...supports deb, ipkg etc and are all optimised to omap. However, haven't read the thread about the ubuntu cooperation stuff, which might end up with an optimised version i guess.

But, much as I like Linux, I still think haiku would be best for the Pandora, except the extra difficulty of porting, and the lack of hardware info for some devices (e.g. video). I'm glad I'm not the only one too. More info:

http://forum.openpandora.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=419

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot, don't think anyone's mentioned Win CE - not that I would want it, but I guess some others might!

I don't suppose anyone wants to start (and maintain) an "Operating Systems on Pandora" thread/wiki page that contains factual information on what the potential and/or status is of various OSes on the Pandora?

Kind of modelled on this emulator thread:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41897

Would probably be more constructive than a winner-takes-all poll, yet probably reflect the same info (i.e. what's popular and possible).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back