Pandora Successor Should Not Have A New Name, But...

Hồng Thất Công

Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp
I know I'm gonna get a kick from ekianjo for using the word "Should" here but, I don't give a..._blank_ :) as these are just ideas and don't mean squat.

OK.  Just to recap, currently, OpenPandora has 3 versions.  The first is the CC version.  The second is the Rebirth version.  And the third is the GHz version.  The "poor" can buy the CC version due to their money constraints.  The "middle-class" can buy the Rebirth version.  And the "rich" can buy the GHz version.  It's a coincidence that the OpenPandora has 3 versions, and because of this (I don't have a number), I would guess that all 3 versions sell pretty well so far because of options available to tailor to users' different needs and different budgets.  Therefore, I believe P2 should keep the original name, i.e., OpenPandora, but with a different version for it.  Something like OpenPandora Ultimate Version or something like that.  This way, P2 won't kill P1 but rather integrate well with P1 and coexist with it.  So we would have 4 versions of OpenPandora and tailor to different needs and class of users.  What do you think?

to be honest OpenPandora doesn't sound too sexy for me. Its kinda dunno "bumpy". I find Dragonfly much more appealing and we can design a new cool logo yeY. The main reason is a lot of people are associating negative impressions or feelings with the name OpenPandora - there was and much frustration. So a fresh name is a good choice!

I think it should be clear, that this product is not just a Pandora Revision but a completly new product. Like dragonscale or open pandragon.

The middle class version of the Pandora1 is more or less not existent anymore (nobody buys a rebirth version if the ghz version is not much more expensive). But the CC for 270€ sells pretty good, this is true.

Maybe do for the Pandora2 again 2 versions. But remember that it is difficult to maintain software compatiblity. For the Pandora1 it just works because it is the same chip 3 times. And the Ghz Chip is slightly different and has driver problems. 2 complet different would be to much maintaining effort.

Maybe sell the remaining Parts of the Pandora1 for far less money when the Pandora2 appears?

1 Ghz Pandora1: 319€

2 Ghz Pandora2: 449€

I want a new name, yes.

Besides DragonFly, I think DragonBox might be a good idea as well.

We could take the Pandora logo and add some kind of dragon silhouette inside the box.

Then it would be clear it has a connection to the Pandora but it will be a new product.

And yes, I would also love to have different priced versions.

For example, optional LTE / UMTS would be a good thing here.

Because not everyone needs that, and it could be made cheaper without.

What do you think about Sparksbox?

Its got very few google hits, suggests some kind of link with dragons/fire and pandora's box, as well as being something small, powerful and exciting.

o28h.png

(^Random logo-like doodle)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since were rebelling away from the Craig Pandora. Perhaps Dragon Rebellion or Rebel Dragon - has a ring to it.

But , whatever it is called, from a marketing point of view, there should be no connection at all with the Pandora. Take it from someone who worked in Inegrated Marketing for a number of years.  You should not even use this forum when the new device comes out or reference it. 

It takes a lot of marketing ->Dollars to overcome bad history with a product name - and even then it's not normally successful.  

Start afresh with no connections is my advise or you will hamstring your self from the get go.

I still say it should be called Lunasea :D
whats that? a perfume? some kind of bathing lotion? -.-

You should not even use this forum when the new device comes out or reference it.
that would suck! If people google whatever Pandora's successor is called, they'll find the connection. Its not like we need to hide the Pandora. I'd focus on a good fist impression, with a new name, a strong community and a polished concept.

You can't overcome a bad rep with a product name, even with new management.  There is no way the next device should have any ties with the Pandora as far as name, forum etc goes.  

As far as googling goes, as long as it's a new product with new name and forum, it wont be so straight forward to see the connection. 

Try selling a ED Pandora to someone on other Retro forums - It doesn't even matter to them that it's run by someone else now. As soon as they hear Pandora, that's the end of the conversation  . Do you really want that right off the bat for the next device.

I'm sure most bolgs and news sites will point out the connection. It won't be difficult to find. I don't think it will scare interested people away that easily

^ The point is , some/most people coming in a fresh wouldn't be aware of the connection.

This is not a new marketing concept. Other than a new name which is already planned by the looks of it, the only other thing would be a new forum, whats the issue with that? 

Bear in mind how full this forum is with angry Pandora rants by pre-orderers 

^ then I assume these people beeing to lazy to seriously google and read a review won't ever register to the forum unless they need support. But then its too late thehe he he! ; D

its sucks to have multiple forums to check. (Thats why I havn't been online in the German forum for ages)

most of them might actually be evil Wyvern in disguise! They have increased since the Burning Fighting Fighter (Kidou) is hiding his presence as villager A to avoid the horrifying battlefield route  : p

... well they'll get tired of complaining... eventually xD

^ The point is , some/most people coming in a fresh wouldn't be aware of the connection.

This is not a new marketing concept. Other than a new name which is already planned by the looks of it, the only other thing would be a new forum, whats the issue with that? 

What make you think when P2  comes out, news or blogs or whatever won't mention that it's from the maker of P1 with a new name?  I don't think a new name will magically cut the tie between P1 and P2.  Also, all the bad stuff people talk about P1 are management and not the techinical capability of the device.  So techically, it's good to have that tie between P1 and P2 because everyone knows what P1 can technically do that no other device in its class can technically do. :)

Back