Pandora Successor Should Not Have A New Name, But...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone merge all those naming threads?

I do not even find my own suggestions anymore because of this chaos.

Please stop creating so many new threads! ><

Uhm, well... this was a thread about not giving it a new name, which went wrong.. again^^

I want a new name, yes.

Besides DragonFly, I think DragonBox might be a good idea as well.

We could take the Pandora logo and add some kind of dragon silhouette inside the box.

Then it would be clear it has a connection to the Pandora but it will be a new product.

And yes, I would also love to have different priced versions.

For example, optional LTE / UMTS would be a good thing here.

Because not everyone needs that, and it could be made cheaper without.
I think it's a good idea to make a clean cut from the 'Pandora' name.  Using a modified Pandora logo graphic is a nice homage though.

How about a series of names that can give the product line legs?

Red DragonBox: Alpha hardware - not released.  Maybe sell them at auction 10 years later?

Yellow DragonBox:  Beta hardware - tested by hardware & OS developers.

Green DragonBox:  First run hardware.  Mid 2014? Limited release for known OS & software Developers and long time supporters willing to pay $1,000+ to get one.

Silver DragonBox:  Production machines for mainstream release.  Late 2014?  Includes as of that time current everything.

Gold DragonBox:  Next iteration of the SoC, maybe 2016 or so?

Platinum DragonBox:  2018?

Prismatic DragonBox:  2020?

For differentiation with an LTE radio or outside-normal spec:

Silver DragonBox LTE

Maybe add numbers after if you want to have different sizes of eMMC on-board storage?

Silver DragonBox 16

Silver DragonBox 32

Silver DragonBox 128 LTE

So, SoC iteration, DragonBox, hardware option levels.

How about:

(if the company/product line were to be called sparkbook, abbreviated to SB)

SB100    -    The most basic sparkbook - possibly a beta run

SB1xx    -     Future revisions / improvements to the design

SB200   -     The first revision of a completely new design

If two parallel models exist (say one has a DAB radio, the other cellular radio)

SB100a

SB100b

I don't remember why this sounds so familiar, but if the product were called Myriad, abbreviated to M, the numbered shorthands would sound like awesome Speed Racer cars.

M100

M1xx and

M200 going with Binky's test order.

How about "Open Pandora Resurrection Edition" after all, we could drastically improve hardware inside the thing.

How about "Open Pandora Resurrection Edition" after all, we could drastically improve hardware inside the thing.
Pandora 1 wouldn't be dead to be resurrected.  Also, the idea to keep the same name but with different version number, at least I think, is to keep selling P1 even when P2 is out.

I think it could be argued that one of the ideas of changing the name completely is to keep selling P1s after the P2 is out. 

i am not a fan of Dragons, used too often ..

I would think of a name having words as Devil, Rebell  (we can call it RebelCommodore as a reference to the commodore machine, or a RebelCommander or so) or a Firefly (instead of a dragon fly, i am tired of dragons) Titan etc...

I would think of a name having words as Devil, Rebell  (we can call it RebelCommodore as a reference to the commodore machine, or a RebelCommander or so) or a Firefly (instead of a dragon fly, i am tired of dragons) Titan etc...
Devil - Scares away Christians

Rebel - Offends Republicans/Conservatives

You want to eliminate EDs share of the American market, right? :D

Back