Pandora Successor Should Not Have A New Name, But...

^ Once a product has a bad name , it has a bad name , no matter the management. Thats something that can be avoided to an extent.  As I said, a new forum, a new name , etc.  It's not like it's something new in marketing.  A lot of people don't do full google searches on the history of things.  What would they find anyway if they searched Dragonbox.  It's not a matter of surpressing everything that might make the connection, some stories may make the connection, it's a matter of limiting it. A good example is the ICP2, some people that backed it weren't aware of the Pandora - food for thought

Thats not to say this forum would cease to exist, it would remain for the Pandora. There's not much reason really the dragonbox or whatever it's called should be on this forum with it's multitude of negative threads and posts mostly aimed at Craig , but also a lot just flinging mud wildly at the Pandora. Why would you put the next device here on this forum .

Last edited by a moderator:
For marketing a seperate forum could maybe do good. But for the community it would be bad. A big forum for open source gaming / productivity handheld is the way to go IMO. A bigger user base and more people would contribute. And see things.

Maybe people would are interessted in the Dragonbon Box but can't afford it, will learn about the Pandora and will buy a cheap model (I think the price of the Pandora will lower in 2 years)? I bought a Caanoo long ago, when I could not afford a Pandora, but I learned about the Caanoo through the Pandora (and about the Pandora via a discussion over a Dingo).

LTE / UMTS
Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Having some kind of connection to the original pandora is certainly good. There's really no bad publicity.

People would still eat taco bell even after knowing tacos from those guys are made off horse meat.

There are thousands of good places to get quality food, but since no one has ever heard of them, less people would eat at those places.

Here's what would happen in reality. People get to know a product by doing researches, and most people get their opinions from viewing professional reviewers' journals. Most of those reviewers would do some kind of sniffing around beforehand. Even if we try to hide P2's identity, every reviewing websites could still find out P2 as the successor for P1, and undoutably they would mention P1's mismanagement. Some of the less professional journalists would even go as far to warn people against buying it and may be call ED a hypocritical scammer if we cover it up. We need proper communication with those journalists and let them know P2's promising potential without trying to hide anything.

Thus, the real selling point of P2 is its potential. (sorry for derailing) Most reviewers are not optimistic about anything they can't test or see the facts. (who wouldn't be like that after reviewing a few dozen of trash each month)

If the prototype of P2 can run Qemu to emulate some pc classics such as Diablo 2, deus ex, system shock 2 at a relatively decent speed; then it's certainly something unheard of. It's to my knowledge that many of these journalists have very fond memories of these games, and by doing this would gain some points for P2.

I doubt any of those x86 chips would have drivers for windows 98. (at least that surface tablet does not)

Thus, maintaining the backwards compatibility is pretty much necessary for P2's early stage support.

For a small project like this, we need to build up hype thus gaining a decent number of pre-orders if we want to get anywhere.

If the product is promising enough right out of the box from the eyes of mainstream journalists, this hype could hopefully undo or even cover up some of the damage.

My understanding is ED wants to distance himself from the Pandora by calling  His new device something completely different. Why then would he put it's forum on the open pandora forum which caters for the Pandora which was started by Craig.   I still haven't seen many good reasons to do so. Time to start afresh in my opinion and break free once and for all of the negative Pandora|Craig legacy.

I'd hate to see people doing research on the Dragonbox have to come to this forum and read all the negative shit here. That would be very bad , That's one thing people do , research a products forum to see what people say about it. Do you really want them coming here when you launch and are trying to establish a new product? how bad would that be.  Sort of the reason people wanted the ICP2 section removed, ie so people interested in the Pandora aren't put off by the negative talk about that product.

It's not like this Forum would go anywhere, it would still go on. 

For marketing a seperate forum could maybe do good. But for the community it would be bad. A big forum for open source gaming / productivity handheld is the way to go IMO. A bigger user base and more people would contribute. And see things.
How could we gain better publicity by creating a seperated forum? It's not like any journalists would judge a device by this. If anything, letting people see  the power of this community, would only bring us benifits. What else open sourced retro gaming community has so many great people? No other. We have Qemu, gpsp, picodrive, that pc-e emulator by exo, DraStic, pcsx rearmed and so on. We don't need to hide our features, hookers don't wear sets of armor unless they are in a gaming convention. (bad joke on my part, I respect women)

If anything, we should let everyone on earth know about these awesome members of ours, and their love and passion for pandora. It's an undeniable fact that we have some of the best people, even if people have never heard of those apps before hand, after some kind of promotion, they should know and get interested in becoming one of us. This is a big selling point that we should use it well.

PS: I'm not saying ED should force anyone to be involved in P2, but it would definitely be lovely to let all potential customers know about them. We need to give people the impression that we are the best, and dragonbox is the ultimate retro fantasy and opensourced wonderfulness. It's not lying. We certainly can't compete with android and windows tablets on specs, but we can give people the impression that we are above all that. Dragonbox may not be perfect, but as long as people are believing in its goodness, then it will go a long way.

New name is a good idea, if only to make it clear that it's not just a minor revision like the ReBirth or 1GHz models.

But there is no need to distance ourselves from the OpenPandora. The OpenPandora is a great device with a great community. It is an ancestor to be proud of, not something you try to hide.

It might work for people who will automatically turned off by the name OpenPandora...

The new name might stop people from mentally association Craigs involvement.... but ED can build his vision how ever he wants.

It is an ancestor to be proud of, not something you try to hide.
We're not going anywhere.

Honestly, seeing how the successor will be roughly the same design that has been brought up in collaboration - but more up to date/better - I don't think giving it an entirely new name makes a lot of sense. Plus there has been so much publicity - whether good or bad won't be of interest in the long run - the name is out there in the minds and on the webs.

OTOH, if there really has to be a new name: no offense meant ED, but I dislike the ring of "dragon"-anything for my eletronic gadget, it just sounds weird and like a child's plaything when talking to, say, a colleague at work. Dragonbox has an unnecessarily harsh ring in my ears. All that stuff may very well sound different in someone else's ears, so meh.

OTOH, if there really has to be a new name: no offense meant ED, but I dislike the ring of "dragon"-anything for my eletronic gadget, it just sounds weird and like a child's plaything when talking to, say, a colleague at work. Dragonbox has an unnecessarily harsh ring in my ears. All that stuff may very well sound different in someone else's ears, so meh.
Yes, we should call it the "Serious Business Computing Device for Grownups" :p

What kind of name would you like? Can you give examples of consoles or portable computing devices that have good names? Bring solutions, not problems :)

If it were only up to me, I'd go with everything from the ground up:

- new name

- new logo

- new website, new color scheme and all

- new communication plan

- new business model

It doesn't matter whoever knew the OpenPandora before, because the audience is so super limited anyway. There's nothing to lose in "hiding" the OpenPandora name, except the bad reputation. The Pandora has not made the news of any major website for at least 3 years and it has a pretty bad reputation on reddit and all. You need to start anew, and the people who know the OP will anyway be aware of the change.

Yes, we should call it the "Serious Business Computing Device for Grownups" :p
:D

Can you give examples of consoles or portable computing devices that have good names? Bring solutions, not problems :)
The thing with other devices is that they're mostly established brands with a good and well known name where it's often enough to just have a few letters and or numbers like X60T or DS.

The alternative are words easily pronouncable and recognizable by a majority of nationalities like Wii or Vita. I think cars are good examples, too: Polo, Golf, Astra, Omega. Those have nothing to do with the function of the device but are easy to remeber and spell.

If a longer, more "difficult" name is chosen I think it should be at least somewhat descriptive like Playstation or Pocketbook.

Seeing how hard it is to come up with a two-word name for Pandora that sufficiently describes all it is and can do I would go for the easily recognizable, memorizable and spelled option. I like Allino.

Is there a general consensus that recursive acronyms are bad?

ALYCE Lets You Control Everything, for example.

Back