[Application] RISC OS on the Pandora

Discussion in 'DragonBox Coding Compo 2012/2013' started by Raik, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Raik

Raik Member

Have try. Hold [Shift] boots in to a pure desktop: All choices in !Boot are ignored.So it should be possible to look at the card.
    But if the card is corrupt, save the time and made a new one ;-)

My Risc PC works with 4.39 ... but 4.xx and Six is a other (death) fork of RISC OS. Any things are different. No boot menu in 5.xx.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 6, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 6, 2018 ---
    640x480 is mode 28. Often the system is jumping to 800x600 if you try [ESC] or other breaking keys. Then you need the wimpmode command to see the iconbar.
    If the device is empty, looks like you have a non compatible card. Is not often but any times :(
    Have you look at the card in WIN? WIN destroy often the card.

You can also boot from USB Pendrive but it needs a other CMOS ans is a bit fiddely. I can send. But booting from card is the better way.

Sorry touchscreen is not working. RISC OS is not really a touch-OS. I have a working solution for my DIY PiTab but I think is not for the "masses" only for enthusiast like me ;)
    I have not try to port the driver. I think my knowledge is not enough.

2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

As I recall at the London show where they changed the license, either Steve Revill or Richard Brown announced that the two companies were talking and a merger of the codebases looks likely, and then we can forget that whole unfortunate episode.

3. Raik

Raik Member

RISC OS Developments is owner of Castle Technology Ltd and with it the RISC OS Operating System. RISC OS Developments Management is Andrew from R-Comp and Richard from Orpheus...
    I'm a (free) member of ROD. Have realized any projects with Andrew at the past e.g. ARMini, ARMiniX, ARMx6... For me it is only hobby and I have fun summary ;-)
    Quote Andrew: We have also been in discussion with VirtualAcorn/3QD/RISCOS Ltd and we are sure you will be pleased to hear that historical grievances have been put aside, and that a co-operative future is planned.

Good news or not, we will see at the future.

Maybe the codebase can be merged. I use !Paint (more options) and !Draw (SVG export) from a9home (RISC OS 4.42) on my new hardware (RISC OS 5.24+)... so anything is possible.
    I think it is a good idea to bundle and organize. We have not enough programmer so wie should avoid double work.

4. Magic Sam

Magic Sam Forever Homebrew

Hi all,

@Raik : I bought a new USB SD card adapter yesterday. No luck with RISC OS on the Pandora so far :(

I'm trying one last time with a brand new SD card. I'll keep you all posted.

EDIT: just dd'ed the image to the new SD card (/dev/sdb). Looks like Linux sees 2 partitions, sdb1 and sdb4. Only the first vfat partition of ~100 MB is mounted. I presume the other partition is RISC OS specific, and can't be mounted on Linux.

EDIT 2: that one is booting fine !!! :D

EDIT 3: just donated £20 to this bounty:

https://www.riscosopen.org/bounty/polls/29

It's not much but it's all I can afford at the moment. I hope it'll help to get WiFi working on the Pandora :)

EDIT 4: according to the wiki, the Pandora uses this touchscreen:

http://www.ti.com/product/TSC2046/description
    https://pandorawiki.org/Display

I don't know whether there are any useful bits in there for a port of your driver to the Pandora though. Maybe @notaz could give you a hand on this one ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 8:00 PM
  5. Raik

Raik Member

Sounds good.

Is fake ;-) That make problems anytimes.
    The card is filecore, the RISC OS format. I come back later to it.

Any generally things...

RISC OS needs a 3-Button mouse.The options are not really changed since the beginning of the 90. I use RISC OS since 1992.

The nub do the following:

Left - one click
    Up - double click
    down - menu (you get a app or os related menu wherever the mousepointer is placed.)
    right - is the right mouse button. Has special options. Named Adjust in RISC OS.

Folder are folder like in other OS.
    Apps are folder with a pling at the beginning e.g. !App.
    You can open this Apps with holding [shift] and doubleclick.
    Inside you find all the most stuff are needed by the App e.g. a file named !Boot, a script witch is started if the App was seen by the filer e.g. to display the icon.
    !Run ist the script witch is start by doubleclick (without [shift])...

Back to the filesystem.

In the main directory you find !Boot. Is the system-folder. Inside the settings and resources are needed by Apps...
    In !Boot you fnd a folder named "Loader". This is the "FAT-Partition". Inside the bootfiles, the ROM named RISC OS... Please not remove or what ever or change the content of the folder if you not know what you do ;-)

Hope you find it useful. If you have a question, feel free to ask. ;-)

Magic Sam likes this.
  6. Magic Sam

7. Raik

Raik Member

Yes, if you need a paper one.

In Documents.books of the distro you should find a pdf.

There was a User Guide pdf downlod at the past but the link I found was broken. Will look at again tomorrow.

Have fun,

Raik
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 12, 2018 at 5:04 AM, Original Post Date: Nov 11, 2018 at 10:42 PM ---
    Looks like the download is gone since the new user-guide is ready.
    For the first steps you find a lot of old guides here.
    The old 3 guide should be enough for the most "problems". 4.39 and Six is for the other fork.

Magic Sam likes this.
  8. Magic Sam

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 9:32 PM
    levi likes this.