Beta Appstore Testing (Again)

Shame my home Internet connection's currently screwed up; I love bug tracking and trying to break stuff :D
Oh well, maybe I'll get to help out next time.

Dead1nside said:
Trevsweb said:
Dead1nside said:
I would appreciate if you would accept longer email addresses, mine doesn't fit the current field.

how long is it? char wise

34 characters. ('googlemail' takes up a lot of it)
For future reference, @gmail.com works too for a Google mail address.
Example:
People can send me mail to tripmonkeyinuk[spam]@gmail.com or tripmonkeyinuk[spam]@googlemail.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Shame my home Internet connection's currently screwed up; I love bug tracking and trying to break stuff :D
Oh well, maybe I'll get to help out next time.

Dead1nside said:
Trevsweb said:
Dead1nside said:
I would appreciate if you would accept longer email addresses, mine doesn't fit the current field.

how long is it? char wise

34 characters. ('googlemail' takes up a lot of it)
Example:
People can send me mail to tripmonkeyinuk[spam]@gmail.com or tripmonkeyinuk[spam]@googlemail.com.

Thank you for the tip. I know gmail works, but Google now explicitly only gives out "googlemail" addresses because of the court case. For good measure I only use the fuller address.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Example:
On a related note, Google also ignores any dots in a gmail address.
So: p.a.n.i.k@gmail.com or panik@gmail.com will both go to the same mailbox. (not a real address. At least, not mine :))

panik said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Example:
So: p.a.n.i.k@gmail.com or panik@gmail.com will both go to the same mailbox. (not a real address. At least, not mine :) )
You can also add a "+" at the end followed by any random string. Useful to "tag" versions of your email address that you give out. E.g. "imemyself+facebook@gmail.com" and "imemyself+twitter@gmail.com" both lead to "imemyself@gmail.com". Any appstore-related email regex should respect this.

dflemstr said:
panik said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Example:
So: p.a.n.i.k@gmail.com or panik@gmail.com will both go to the same mailbox. (not a real address. At least, not mine :) )
You can also add a "+" at the end followed by any random string. Useful to "tag" versions of your email address that you give out. E.g. "imemyself+facebook@gmail.com" and "imemyself+twitter@gmail.com" both lead to "imemyself@gmail.com". Any appstore-related email regex should respect this.
Yes, that feature is incredible usefull, I wish I knew it from the start so now I would know where all the spam come from.
Btw, "imemyself+facebook@gmail.com" actually won't work in facebook (at least it does not for me) as it reports it as an "invalid" mail address (fuckers -.- ).

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Yes, that feature is incredible usefull, I wish I knew it from the start so now I would know where all the spam come from.
Btw, "imemyself+facebook@gmail.com" actually won't work in facebook (at least it does not for me) as it reports it as an "invalid" mail address (fuckers -.- ).

foxblock out
That's because a lot of people think they're smart and implement regexp checks for mail addresses without ever even looking at the RFC they're defined in (or, in fact, doing any research at all). You get wonderful constructs like [\w\d-_]+@[\w\d-].[\w\d]{2,3} - they match about 90% of the addresses in use out there but they don't nearly match 90% of what a valid mail address can contain. In fact, even someone with a domain under the .info TLD can often run into websites that declare his address to be invalid because obviously there are no four-letter TLDs.

People should either do a very generic check (like .+@.+\..+) or validate mail addresses the proper way like with the Perl module I linked to earlier. Everything in between is usually a case of the developer believing himself to be cleverer than he really is.

Craigix: You want to throw me the address link?
I didn't notice this thread... Or is it the same as previous (if so, can I sneak in once you open it up again?)?

kingoddball said:
Craigix: You want to throw me the address link?
I didn't notice this thread... Or is it the same as previous (if so, can I sneak in once you open it up again?)?
Same as before.

[edit] ooh, just noticed it's empty. I guess that means stop playing with it for now, population + launch is imminent.

Probably going to have to move it to eds new server, so might not launch it today. But yeah, it is almost ready to go.

socket said:
So it should be live in about 2 months?

lol love this pointless comment.. ok so we release it tommorrow.. then what? you gonna download the files to your desktop and do nothing with them.... seriously i dont get why that needed to be said...

dflemstr said:
^craigix doesn't use PHP. He uses Perl. Yeah.

So anyways, iTheora is a no-go.
Javascript ?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OggHandler
http://metavid.org/wiki/Mv_Embed

I posted a comment longer than one row on the fake app and it seems to break the size format used.

if you do a search which results in Fake App coming up, the rating is empty on the search result page, I think it shouldn't be.

Trevsweb said:
socket said:
So it should be live in about 2 months?

lol love this pointless comment.. ok so we release it tommorrow.. then what? you gonna download the files to your desktop and do nothing with them.... seriously i dont get why that needed to be said...

Lighten up dude! the whole forum is full of such jokes, it's a part of what makes it possible to keep waiting for this amazing, yet very late, device.

Back