Are The Tv Out Cables Available At Real Stores?

frostedfires

I was wondering if I would buy the tv out cable at a store and not the one pandora is trying to sell... $19.99 is quite a lot to me just for a cable. If it is a special cord that only works with pandora then I will buy one for $19.99 but I would rather not. :)

It's a custom made cable, you'll have to buy it from OP Ltd. :) This isn't so they can be proprietary and annoying, but because the Ext port it plugs into contains a lot of functions that most AV out connectors don't (including audio in). So they had to make a special cable.

Have you gone into a store and looked at cable prices lately? Even super-common cables?

According to Best Buy's web site, the cheapest svideo cable they have in a store near me is $18.99. And that is just for a super simple patch cable.

Yes, I know you can get simple cables cheaper online - but he did say "at a store".

The $19.99 is cheap for a high quality custom spec cable.

Grench said:
Yes, I know you can get simple cables cheaper online - but he did say "at a store".
How is an online store not a store?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check monster cable. I hear they'll be carrying the OP cables at a ... nice price
don't bother

At first i thought "heh, probably have some video cables lying around that i can use, no need to pay for an extra one" and didn't order one.
Oh how wrong i was

frostedfires said:
i generaly ment any store aka online cause im lazy but thanks for the answer guys :)

So other online stores count as "real" stores, but GBAX and GP2X.de don't? What is your definition of a "real" store?

-God Ginrai

frostedfires said:
I was wondering if I would buy the tv out cable at a store and not the one pandora is trying to sell... $19.99 is quite a lot to me just for a cable. If it is a special cord that only works with pandora then I will buy one for $19.99 but I would rather not. :)

I believe that ED is planning to provide the pin-outs so you could make one of your own, or get somebody else to do it for you.

Pleng said:
frostedfires said:

I believe that ED is planning to provide the pin-outs so you could make one of your own, or get somebody else to do it for you.

don't forget, this is probably the same scam GPH pulled with the GP2X TV-Out, where you get this iddy biddy cable about 10CM long and they don't tell you that you need an extra cable that you have to buy yourself ON TOP OF what yyou already paid for the "tv-out" and then depending on your TV you need some other crap to actually get it connected and working but that's a whole other bag of ferrets.

Thankfully, it's the opposite of that.

MWeston said:
We don't want to skimp out and give you the bare minimum so we found a company that will do 10 feet long cables, gold plated male ends so no adapters needed and all the multimedia signals possible on the port so it's just one nice long run from the Pandora to your stereo. Badda boom, badda bing ;)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47653-tv-out-questions/page__view__findpost__p__723568

what features do the AV cables have then, it was mentioned previously that they had audio & video out but also audio in. if they have video in as well, i'd totally buy one, I'd love to be able to plug my ps2 into my pandora and see all the action on that tiny, but amazing, screen.

There's no video in. Full details here: http://pandorapress.net/2009/04/26/tv-out-cable-detailed/

The Ext port itself has other functions (more along the lines of development/hacking), but they're not accessible with this cable.

Gruso said:
Thankfully, it's the opposite of that.

MWeston said:
We don't want to skimp out and give you the bare minimum so we found a company that will do 10 feet long cables, gold plated male ends so no adapters needed and all the multimedia signals possible on the port so it's just one nice long run from the Pandora to your stereo. Badda boom, badda bing ;)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47653-tv-out-questions/page__view__findpost__p__723568

I stand corrected

El Jefe said:
Check monster cable. I hear they'll be carrying the OP cables at a ... nice price
What's wrong with monster cables? :huh:

Kramy said:
El Jefe said:
What's wrong with monster cables? :huh:

Are you kidding? They're overrated, overpriced, and made by a widely hated borderline fraudulent company who spend all the money they make on their 1000% brand tax suing anyone else who says the word "monster". What a bunch of bastards.

I've never had an issue with the cables, though. I've got a lot of 100FT CAT5e monster cables going all around my home. But since I get OEM pricing on that stuff (cheaper than the cheapest generic cable on eBay), price has never bugged me.

Ahh, so they're a trademark troll? ;)

You're not getting screwed by RRP then. That's good. They're a perfectly good product, they're just not ten times better than the cables they cost ten times more than. They do look nice though... :p

Back