Audio Hardware

I can't imagine how incredibly sensitive your anus must be to enable you to have "anal hearing".
(Ba dum tish)

Pandora has a Burr-Brown DAC and a 150mW amp for the headphone jack. The DAC itself supports 24 bits resolution, 48kHz sampling rate and has a 98dB SNR. The 150mW on the amp is for 16ohm loads.. how much more do you want? The built-in speakers and the line-out use the codec on the TWL4030 chip, which is pretty good for what is doing (16bit res and up to 96kHz sampling rate). Envernex, the Sennheiser HD580 are not your best choice for portable audio since they have a 300ohm impedance..

nikkopt said:
Pandora has a Burr-Brown DAC and a 150mW amp for the headphone jack. The DAC itself supports 24 bits resolution, 48kHz sampling rate and has a 98dB SNR. The 150mW on the amp is for 16ohm loads.. how much more do you want? The built-in speakers and the line-out use the codec on the TWL4030 chip, which is pretty good for what is doing (16bit res and up to 96kHz sampling rate). Envernex, the Sennheiser HD580 are not your best choice for portable audio since they have a 300ohm impedance..
erhm...does this means the panda has great audio quality(like psp or more) and loudness like psp or more?

Last edited by a moderator:
nikkopt said:

As I said I found all the info via search shortly after I made my initial post.

The Senns work fine with all my other portable equip, PDA, iPod, Phone, etc so I'm certain the Pandora wont have any issues, especially as its power output exceeds all those other devices.

borgqueenx said:
nikkopt said:
erhm...does this means the panda has great audio quality(like psp or more) and loudness like psp or more?
If you don't know what any of that means, than it will be more than good enough for you.
If you do know what it means, then you're knowledgable enough to make your own assumptions.
Or, in other words, a non-audiophile (average user) will have no problems with it. An audiophile may complain about this or that, though not likely.

WizardStan said:
borgqueenx said:
nikkopt said:
If you don't know what any of that means, than it will be more than good enough for you.
If you do know what it means, then you're knowledgable enough to make your own assumptions.
Or, in other words, a non-audiophile (average user) will have no problems with it. An audiophile may complain about this or that, though not likely.
the ds has crap quality sound and cant go loud enough to fill a living room with music.
The psp has much better quality, and goes loud enough to fill a living room,
I like to know if the pandora is as good as the psp in sound,or is better. (or worse...)

And I just told you, if those specs mean nothing to you, then it's perfect.

WizardStan said:
And I just told you, if those specs mean nothing to you, then it's perfect.
is there somewhere a page where i can see desame specs of the psp? so i can compare and see how the pandora kicks the ass of the psp? :D
Im anyways glad it has good sound quality :)

borgqueenx said:
the ds has crap quality sound and cant go loud enough to fill a living room with music.
I like to know if the pandora is as good as the psp in sound,or is better. (or worse...)

You're confusing sound quality with loudness. The two aren't related. No-one other than those with assembled Pandoras can tell you what the quality and loudness of the inbuilt speakers is like at the moment.

Also the specs listed wont tell you how loud the inbuilt speakers on the Pandora will be, only what the raw sound quality is like from the device itself. The specs look very good so it should suit me fine (99dB SNR etc).

Enverex said:
borgqueenx said:

You're confusing sound quality with loudness. The two aren't related. No-one other than those with assembled Pandoras can tell you what the quality and loudness of the inbuilt speakers is like at the moment.

Also the specs listed wont tell you how loud the inbuilt speakers on the Pandora will be, only what the raw sound quality is like from the device itself. The specs look very good so it should suit me fine (99dB SNR etc).
maby craig or ED can hold a decibel meter to the pandora and psp and ds.... :)

Didn't MWeston already answer this stuff for you back in March, borgqueenx? ;) To quote what he said back then;

MWeston said:
Extrapolating from the datasheet and applying to the power supplied by Pandora, I get: SPL: 91dB, 0.2W/0.1M, 1Khz

The speakers aren't crazy loud, but are fairly strong. I tried a number of speakers to find one that provided a rather flat frequency response curve and a lower resonant frequency. I was hoping to get a sound that wasn't too 'tinny' and had enough midbass to make guitar notes sound full. The speakers we are using fit the bill, but they are still just tiny little speakers so its not going to be a mind blowing experience or anything.

When I am testing things, I tend to listen to music with the volume all the way up. Some louder songs are a bit much for me, but most music is fairly comfortable. The sound of reloading a gun in Quake is a little sharp and loud enough that I back the volume down a bit. Overall, I wouldn't plan on using the speakers on a noisy bus or anything like that. The volume is comparable to my PSP-1000, DS lite and even the GP2X F-100 I have here. The volume is no where near as loud as the iPhone when you have your hand cupped around the speaker hole in the right way (which amplifies the sound greatly) but that's what a million dollars of engineering resources will get you.

As an aside, I must say, if I were you I'd get your DS looked at if its speakers are as bad as you've often claimed - it sounds like it needs repair. :p I've had no problems filling a large room with music with the speakers of either my original DS (incredibly loud) or my DS Lite (not quite as loud as my original DS, but still plenty loud enough to fill a room). The same applies to the DSes and DS Lites of all of the people I know who own them (quite a few :p).

Prometheus said:
As an aside, I must say, if I were you I'd get your DS looked at if its speakers are as bad as you've often claimed - it sounds like it needs repair. :p I've had no problems filling a large room with music with the speakers of either my original DS (incredibly loud) or my DS Lite (not quite as loud as my original DS, but still plenty loud enough to fill a room). The same applies to the DSes and DS Lites of all of the people I know who own them (quite a few :p ).
Seconded. I've had laptops with less volume than what my DS has put out.

my ds, and the ds lites of many other people always got desame crap quality. The dsi has it improved though.
and i remember that post...
The volume is comparable to my PSP-1000, DS lite and even the GP2X F-100 I have here.
no offense but that line is not really helpful to me.

SPL: 91dB, 0.2W/0.1M, 1Khz
no idea what SPL means, but 91db is horrible loud.but maby it was measured at the speaker, and not at his ears.

And the iPhone 3G goes a little bit louder then my psp. Both has good sound quality. DS lite goes way lower and has more bad quality.

And remember the speaker of the iPhone has improved since the iPhone 3G. What iPhone is MWeston reffering to?

If i take a gamble, with the info i got right now from various posts, i'd say the pandora has unknown sound quality, but goes as loud as my psp. maby a little bit less.
But id like some decibel meter results :)

Assuming that's written how I think it is, that's 91dB 10cm from the speaker. Also 0.1w of RMS power (most TV speakers are about 1w so are crappy small hifi unit speakers)

Enverex said:
Assuming that's written how I think it is, that's 91dB 10cm from the speaker. Also 0.1w of RMS power (most TV speakers are about 1w so are crappy small hifi unit speakers)
more watt is bad? or am i reading this wrong? and RMS is?

Higher RMS means louder maximum volume, higher is better. Higher number also means that it can push higher volumes with less difficulty and better clarity. Although these figures can be subject to exaggeration as per usual.

Enverex said:
Higher RMS means louder maximum volume, higher is better. Higher number also means that it can push higher volumes with less difficulty and better clarity. Although these figures can be subject to exaggeration as per usual.
alrighty, thanks :)

we already figured this out ages ago, the DAC is the burr-brown PCM1773
the amp is the TWL4030

2rco9wy.png

have a look at this thread
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=45093

Back