The Pandora Sound Chip

dflemstr said:
PoisonedV said:
Just so I don't have to start a new thread, is there any way I can play all my vinyl records on the P???? (animal collective ofc)
Yes. Take your nails (they should be long enough by now) and drag them across the vinyl. And that's it! You don't even need an actual Pandora unit!
Best to drive a 10" nail through the underside of an unboxed Pandora as soon as it arrives then you'll be able to spin the record easier. Unless, of course you're playing 78s, as I'm not sure a 10" has the right diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
mrtymek said:
To be perfectly honest, as of now it's mostly 320 mps's,

320 msp's ?? is that mega samples per second? For audio? Am I the only one who thinks that there's a big error there?

Beyond that, since I haven't yet been able to find a schematic (or even a block diagram) of the Pandora, I don't know if the BB (uhh, DAC, or ADC?) is a separate module, or part of the main die? Because if it's part of the main die, I'm kinda skeptical if the noise factor can really be kept down, even if the BB section is technically capable of low noise & low distortion. What I *think* is of real importance in audio is having good input & output analog signal prep, having at least about 2.1 times the greatest input/output freq for a minimum sampling rate, crosstalk isolation, and at least about 90db of S/N ratio (more your ears can't really hear) which means about (90-4)/6 bits resolution (or more). Any of this can be increased IF you want to spend less on the input/output audio processing.

Look, I'm no kind of business exec at all, but it seems to me that the level of secrecy being maintained on the hardware is either over the top for an open source project, or maybe it's really out there but I'm being dense about being able to find it.

may88 said:
Best to drive a 10" nail through the underside of an unboxed Pandora as soon as it arrives then you'll be able to spin the record easier. Unless, of course you're playing 78s, as I'm not sure a 10" has the right diameter.

A NIN should suffice.

chuckr said:
320 msp's ?? is that mega samples per second? For audio? Am I the only one who thinks that there's a big error there?

320kbit CBR mp3's.

mali said:
may88 said:

A NIN should suffice.
I C WUT U DID THAR

chuckr said:
Beyond that, since I haven't yet been able to find a schematic (or even a block diagram) of the Pandora, I don't know if the BB (uhh, DAC, or ADC?) is a separate module, or part of the main die? Because if it's part of the main die, I'm kinda skeptical if the noise factor can really be kept down, even if the BB section is technically capable of low noise & low distortion.
I'm by no means authoritative, but I highly suspect the DAC will be a separate chip, having seen how many chips there are on the board.
Look, I'm no kind of business exec at all, but it seems to me that the level of secrecy being maintained on the hardware is either over the top for an open source project, or maybe it's really out there but I'm being dense about being able to find it.
I'm not entirely clear what information it is you're looking for.
Obviously they can't publish detailed PCB schematics, because that would make it very easy for Chinese cloners.
If all you want to know is what chip is what, I'm pretty sure that information, or at least the important bits, will be published.
As of the moment, that information is not readily available (to my knowledge), but I suspect this is more due to them just not having the information in a presentable form yet, rather than trying to protect it.

Protip: The only "open source" part of the Pandora is the software. They have never had any intention of publishing detailed hardware documents.

Just to clarify that.

Good thing you don't actually need hardware documents, just open it up and get yourself a microscope.

Back