Auto Gk Screen Size

Winterkid

Website
Visit site
Posted this in the video/audo sub, but I don't know if anyone will even read it there, as it's tacked on to the end of a sticky subject, before I realized. Oh well, I made a mistake

Using Auto Gordian Knot, I had a go at a DVD, and the resolution did limit itself to 320 width, but it unfortunately cut off the area below the viewing area, as it's similar to widescreen, but underneath, there's occasionally text that appears below and the odd picture or two. AutoGK otherwise works fine for fullscreen and widescreen videos, but this is a completely different beast.

So, can I force Auto GK to include the black area at the bottom of the picture, so I can read the text and see the occasional picture displayed there?

Winterkid posted on Aug 8 2006 at 09:42 AM said:
So, can I force Auto GK to include the black area at the bottom of the picture, so I can read the text and see the occasional picture displayed there?

Yes, you can, but it's worth finding out if this occasional text is actually burned into the image or is in it's own subtitle track. If the latter, it's more successful to rip the subtitle track to a *.srt file using a tool like SubRip.

But assuming you want to go ahead and encode all of that black (which, believe it or not, does impact quality), then you want to get into AutoGK's override menu. You access it by pressing CTRL-F9.

Many override options in there - you'll want to override the cropping ones.

I suggest that, if you have the full Gordian Knot package on your system, you open the video in that and scrub over to a video frame that has a subtitle/subpicture in it, and then tune the crop settings by hand to kill the black bar on top at least, and as much of the bottom one as is practical. Make a note of the values you end up with, and use them in AutoGK.

This is because while it arguably doesn't take a lot of bits to encode the colour black, it nevertheless does take some. Moreover, the line where the picture meets the black bar takes a lot. And further, if your video does indeed feature the subtitles burned into the main picture, then the colour being used in the bars is probably not static black, but will feature some grain and flicker which will also affect filesize/quality.

</nerd>

Last edited by a moderator:
TheFroon, Thanks. No, it's not a subtitle track, they happily stuck the text IN the black area below the action. Makes it easier to read but at the same time, it's not friendly for conversion to the GP2X format.

Still not skipping the auto resize and in fact, it decided to shorten it even further, from 320x112 to 320x90. *shrug*

Tried AR Override, and I'm thinking of trying the autocrop tuner all set to 0 to see if I can crop it down after.

GOT it! Set the "threshold" of the Tune Autocrop area under the hidden options to 0! Disables autocrop. Now all I have to do is get the person who made the video this way and kick his ass.

Back