Back to normal!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, what a drama we had the last two weeks!
You might've followed this in the last news thread...

A short summary:
I wanted to work on the tester script and test all the PCBs we have here - but unfortunately, when I started, the unit froze.... even though we thought the 4GB RAM should now be working!

What had happened? Well, you can follow the full drama on the mailing list and on the last news thread, but here's a short summary.

Apparently, the 4GB RAM boards workec without any freeze as long as you stress the RAM and system - which was what we tested. That's why we thought the 4GB RAM freeze was fixed...

But as soon as it was just sitting around idling, it froze after usually 10 minutes.

Pretty weird, huh?

Yes, we thought that as well.
So we made multiple tests, trying to get to the bottom of this mystery... it most probably has something to do with wrong timing settings, so these need to be checked.

Disabling the DLL function of the RAM chip makes the system run stable and without any freezes!
While this might not yet be the best and proper solution, it's one that works. Tweaking and fixing things can always happen later.

Well, this means I can finally work on the testing scripts... and test all PCBs I've got here.

October 17th will be the day when I visit the plastic exhibition in Germany where I will check for various plastic materials together with UniquePlast and hopefully find the best one for the Pyra.

This was just a quick update / summary of what's going on - back to testing :D

Nice summery.
It is good to see that you are still on track. Have fun on the fair;) (I guess it's the Fakuma)
Also now that you guys found a workaround, you should take a break and relax a little. |-)
So long

Colours again? Have I ever reminded you of @Neelix
pyra_darkrednoisy_black-png.27510
? ;)

Thank you for the update! One thing I love about this community and this project is knowing that when there are problems, you keep us in the loop, and let us know about the solutions as you find them. That makes it so much easier to support this project. You're doing an amazing job. Keep up the awesome work!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I like that although ED probably meant assessing technical parameters of materials, the mention itself is enough to trigger a color thread/war, just as mentioning a keyboard can provoke a keyboard thread.

Such trade fairs (at least in other industries) are a great opportunity to see "crazy" products, and I bet there are going to be some unique-colored/textured plastics presented- I hope we get a pic or two in a "imagine a pyra looking like THIS" style, even if actually the choices would be unreasonable!

October 17th will be the day when I visit the plastic exhibition in Germany where I will check for various plastic materials together with UniquePlast and hopefully find the best one for the Pyra.
Good news. :) I already see the glorious Thinkpad Pyra Carbon edition. ;)
Show them the pyra and I'm sure these people will already have ideas what would be the best material to make the little decvice look great.

Whenever anyone has mentioned their preferred colour so far in this thread, I've found myself liking it.

I guess the conclusion there is that actually I don't really care what colour it is!

(oh... as long as it isn't pink, no offence intended...)

Wait so the problem is solved or we've just found a stop gap to test boards? So confuszled.
As far as I can tell the main outcome is that a small but decently sized handful of people have started to actually learn what all of the timing parameters actually do, and they've found a change that lets units run unattended for some dozens of minutes. Until ED has the time to do the idle stability tests over mutliple hours across multiple boards, we don't know for sure if it's enough, but thus far it's looking promising.

As far as I can tell the main outcome is that a small but decently sized handful of people have started to actually learn what all of the timing parameters actually do, and they've found a change that lets units run unattended for some dozens of minutes. Until ED has the time to do the idle stability tests over mutliple hours across multiple boards, we don't know for sure if it's enough, but thus far it's looking promising.
According to TI (was it?) it's not recommended to deactivate internal DLL. I.e. depending on their motivation to say so/the implications of deactivating it this might only be good enough for a temporary workaround. Still being worth a lot, though.
Any insight on those implications, anyone?

phew! thanks for ending this drama with happyness!
*cough* c64c light beige is still an favourite colour for me. ;)

now, back to the saltmines, err... testing! :).

That's great to hear!!! Your referring to all of the colour drama right? How soon till ED announces the c64c light beige as the final decision?

Last edited:
Awesome news! I want something Pretty in Pink <3

If this is anything like my project group in the product design class I took, then this will become an intern joke. Then it will make its way into more and more discussions. Then, before you know it, it has snowballed to the point where a 3D render made over many CPU-hours in some professional ray-tracing software, will be a very pretty picture of a semi-finished go-kart in approximately the color scheme of Hello Kitty. :happy:

We may or may not have included it by accident in the final dump of rendered images, hidden among a lot of detailed high contrast part renders.

If this is anything like my project group in the product design class I took, then this will become an intern joke. Then it will make its way into more and more discussions. Then, before you know it, it has snowballed to the point where a 3D render made over many CPU-hours in some professional ray-tracing software, will be a very pretty picture of a semi-finished go-kart in approximately the color scheme of Hello Kitty. :happy:
You mean like this?:
Image8.png.10b7711be34895d38bc18c7553707b5a.png

Linked from the thread with all of the colours.

Back