Bad News

stpat said:
Quasist,

You comment on every thread, and you never add anything productive. You just insult people and complain constantly.

You seem to think a lot of yourself, but you're really just ruining this place for people.

People are trying to have real discussions, and you just litter their posts with your crap.

Why don't you go somewhere else? I guarantee you people don't want you around here.

quasist said:
If bad lizard was good in last communications, what makes you believe it will behave same in future?
Ooohhh, BURN!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that topic bears only speculative information, and have no official statement from GPH to exists.
// but funny someone wrote about it to wikipedia =D

Can we lock it?

stpat said:
Quasist,

You comment on every thread, and you never add anything productive. You just insult people and complain constantly.

You seem to think a lot of yourself, but you're really just ruining this place for people.

People are trying to have real discussions, and you just litter their posts with your crap.

Why don't you go somewhere else? I guarantee you people don't want you around here.

quasist said:
If bad lizard was good in last communications, what makes you believe it will behave same in future?

Ah if he wants to make an (even bigger) ass of himself, just let'm :)

Dunny said:
Quasist adds colour to any discussion. Usually brown.
For western capitalist it would be a nice toilet joke, but pigs will find dirt anywhere.

Amon_Re said:
I do not own any device that I had to 'jailbreak' and I intend to keep it that way. Some of us have principles.
Right, because only those without principles run custom firmware on their PSPs. Perhaps what you meant to say was, "My principles just don't allow it".

quasist said:
So shall this topic to be locked?

No, but you shall be locked to an eternity of embarrassment by every post you make.

geise69 said:
quasist said:
So shall this topic to be locked?

No, but you shall be locked to an eternity of embarrassment by every post you make.

OK in all seriousness if no one posts to bring this back on topic mainly about GPH and future of opensource devices, than it will be locked.

Berserk said:
Amon_Re said:
I do not own any device that I had to 'jailbreak' and I intend to keep it that way. Some of us have principles.
Right, because only those without principles run custom firmware on their PSPs. Perhaps what you meant to say was, "My principles just don't allow it".

Let me clarify, it is against my principles to support a company who makes a product who doesn't meet my needs with my money. Sure I could reflash a PSP, but then my only means of protest against this company is gone, they still get my money regardless of them artificially limiting their product.

This is why I do support companies such as GPH because they create a product that does fulfill my needs, there is an official free (as in open) development kit, there is documentation, there is support for the open source movement by the parent company, they do not lock away features of the machine, and they do not take away my control over my hardware. It's mine.

With Sony, I lose that control, these days they even forbids me to do as I see fit with the hardware I purchased.

Amon_Re said:
With Sony, I lose that control, these days they even forbids me to do as I see fit with the hardware I purchased.
Evar heard about "contract and tort-based legal systems"?
First you hack a psp, second you put in your anus, then the civilization is in ruins.

First thing I did with psp after I bought it - Installed latest official firmware =D

quasist said:
First you hack a psp, second you put in your anus, then the civilization is in ruins.

First thing I did with psp after I bought it - Installed latest official firmware =D

then you stuck up your yeehaw? :p

It really is a matter of taste if you really want to go down the road of hacking commercial devices. I would expect that most people are here to support open source devices. So they as would intend to support the companies that make such devices. Since the alterative is available to them then there isnt much reason to bother with the big commercial products.

Ok, to get back on topic then!

GPH have (apparently) evaluated their business arms and decided that software (FunGP, those Wiz Games that never came out, et al) makes more money than their hardware division (which failed to launch, say, the wifi dongle for Wiz). This means that effectively GPH will very rapidly disappear, and their latest - the Caanoo - is now a finite commodity with no more to be produced. So what does that leave in terms of Open Hardware handhelds?

There's the Dingoo, which has had very little in the way of recent updates though does appear to have a thriving scene.
There's the Pandora which is currently undergoing some financial troubles and may fail yet.

There are various other devices that probably won't interest us as a community - the Ben Nanonote gets little love in these parts, and the Raspberry Pi is yet to launch. I can't think of any others.

So, given that GPH have stepped down, what else is there for our community?

D.

Dunny said:
So, given that GPH have stepped down, what else is there for our community?
nD clones gather for attack =D

The sad thing is that we are such a small community that there's really no business in it. The tablets and phones have sort of pushed the handheld as a gaming/app platform into non-existence. The handheld gaming side is already taken by the Big N and Sony. Those devices aren't open and never will be. It's all about the money, and the software is the money to keep these devices moving. GPH were trying to make money off of the systems. The idea of it being open was the great thing about it. However now it seems that more and more people want to make something and sell it. That's great for them, it's a shitty economy and should deserve money for their hard work. Why make something for nothing when you can just make it and throw it up on an app store. It's the phone/tablet market that has killed the dying open source platform.

geise69 said:
The sad thing is that we are such a small community that there's really no business in it.
It's the phone/tablet market that has killed the dying open source platform.
In your model the crowd is just inert =D, I suppose because you behave like sheep.

The casual gamers (95%) would approach caanoo scene, all forums would be in stypid questions like "why caanoo do not works without SD cards?".
Hopefully, all can rest and embrace hobby developments, and throw non-productive consumers far away.

OK I already posted this but wasn't "signed in." Anyway, is there anyway I can get a refund for my Caanoo? I love the system and want to keep it but the joystick issues have really let things down for me unfortunately. It still registers down when I press right on many of the emulators AND the system menu. Any advice would be appreciated.

Back