Battery Forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleng

This Universal Laptop Battery claims to provide an additional 8-10 hours of battery life for a laptop. It also has 5v/USB charging capabilities. How long would it keep a Pandora running for?!

From what I can tell, it should be up to ~15 times the capacity of the Pandora battery. Of course, that depends on how efficiently the Pandora charges via USB etc.

Wait, what?

# Capacity : 21200 mAh
# Dimension : 53.10x35.20x7.35mm

There's no way that could be right, could it? A battery that small couldn't possibly have that high of a capacity. Maybe they mean cm and not mm...

BigTruck said:
There's no way that could be right, could it? A battery that small couldn't possibly have that high of a capacity. Maybe they mean cm and not mm...
Sure it can, when you don't specify a matching voltage for that capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, true, which is why I wish all batteries were measured in Wh. According to wikipedia, though, li-poly batteries generally vary between 2.7V and 4.23V. If they're basing it on the voltage of the external device, the lowest it supports is 5V (USB). The only way that capacity would be reasonable would be with a voltage of 0.5V or maybe less. It seems rather shady to me. (Disclaimer, I am not an EE, the extent of my knowledge of this is pretty much that Wh = Ah * V.)

Anyway, this was the external battery I found that I might order.

BigTruck said:
Anyway, this was the external battery I found that I might order.

Ahh that one looks a lot more sensible, price-wise at least! I'm guessing that should give about 1 full charge to the Pandora? 16 hours of use should just about cover even the longest trips!

external-battery.jpg

I guess here is the answer.

Under load, the Pandora will use more power than is provided via USB. No matter what you have it hooked up to, it will die

Hotcooler said:
I guess here is the answer.
But that makes even less sense. 21.2Ah at 14.8V is 312Wh, or roughly five times the capacity of the battery on my laptop, yet supposedly (if you do the math) at approximately 1/23 of the size of the Pandora. If all items in the picture are scaled equally and it isn't a photoshop job, it looks like the dimensions are wrong. Then again, that picture might not even be of the item in question because it says color: light grey.

Under load, the Pandora will use more power than is provided via USB. No matter what you have it hooked up to, it will die

True, but I for one am rarely going to be using my Pandora at full load.

that's the problem when recharging from a 5V 500mA font (your usual usb port), so it's better to recharge it via the charging plug. this battery does not provide 5V via the normal recharging plug (only 16-24V, it's really made for laptops).
but a good thing to notice is that the usb port in there provides 5V 1A, that should be enough :) I really hope the pandora under heavy usage doesn't draw more than 1A even though it may draw more than 500mA

but at 53x35x7cm, i doubt it would really be useful :p

put this in your battery, and it WILL last forever :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt5z8L4LBJE...feature=related (magnet engine which only needs to be initiated)

Kloplop321 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt5z8L4LBJE...feature=related (magnet engine which only needs to be initiated)

Yep :rolleyes:

Kloplop321 said:

Why does these free energy things never get out on the market?

If you couldn't guess the answer, here it is: because they don't work! ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy )

BigTruck said:
Wait, what?

# Capacity : 21200 mAh
# Dimension : 53.10x35.20x7.35mm

Using that USB cable as a base, estimating it's width against the battery, there is no way those measurements are accurate. Unless the image is a composite, and they intentionally made the battery look bigger than it actually is, but I'm more inclined to believe it was mismeasured.

dentrado said:
Kloplop321 said:

Why does these free energy things never get out on the market?

If you couldn't guess the answer, here it is: because they don't work! ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy )

you obviously know nothing about zero-point energy on the quantum level. :angry:

The reason why: Car manufacturers have contracts with engine manufacturers, who have contracts with oil distributes
It would put out the oil industry, as well as the electric plant industry or force the plants to move on to another method.
Also because it doesn't have too many people researching into it.

Logically it all makes sense when you know ALL the factors and how magnetism really works.

You obviously know nothing about how the world works.

atomicthumbs said:
35 millivolts, probably. :p
No, 14.8 Volts. I don't quite understand what the difference between norminal and typical capacity is about, though... What the hell is "norminal", anyway?!

people like you once thought we couldn't go past the speed of sound.
No I don't know how the WHOLE world works, but I do know enough to know how this is possible, and how to make such a thing.

Kloplop321 said:
people like you once thought we couldn't go past the speed of sound.
That was a structural thing. They said we couldn't exceed the speed of sound at the time because we didn't have the technology to build a craft capable of withstanding the shock of breaking the sound barrier. They didn't say we could never go past the speed of sound: an actual problem was identified that made it impossible. Solve that problem, and you get super sonic speeds.
In this case, the problem is a fundamental rule of the universe. We're not just waiting on stronger materials and better building techniques here; we'd need to redefine the way in which energy actually interacts with matter.

yes, but conservation of energy is still followed with this, Zero-point energy is there, it is a separate resonate energy than heat, it is on the subatomic level, and may be linked to gravity and most likely magnetivity(if that is a word), which explains how such a thing can work. I have thought about it for a while, and it all makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back