Battery Power?

Big and as long as possible! :)

We know how important this area of the design is the the system has a large space for the battery, we are trying to get the biggest possible battery we can.

How 'bout a zero point energy module? Great for power hungry overclocking. ;)

On a more serious note, what about adjustable screen brightness so we can conserve more power.

Zarneth said:

On a more serious note, what about adjustable screen brightness so we can conserve more power.
yes

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:
Zarneth said:

yes

ah, going Stargate Atlantis on us huh? :D

One thing came to me, what about a doing something with a Gameboy Advance power pack? You now, the ones that click on back of the battery compartment? Not the same shape as gp2x but maybe something could be rigged up to charge then click on back in the same manner.

Something like this:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item...HITE_LEDS_.html

I don't care as long as it makes it to at least three hours. (Hopefully it will, I never take my electronics out of the house, so charging every three hours isn't bad. It will support charge/play, right?)

I must say, I'm still hoping for the originally supposed 10 hours. Or rather, 10 hours of casual gaming (obviously for some quality boosts or for particularly tough to emulate systems, a hit on battery life is to be expected).

Preferably more when it comes to listening to music with the screen closed, simply because I don't imagine it needs that much horsepower to decode an MP3 (some, yes, but not *that* much - the GP32 did it happily with 66MHz), so hopefully the CPU will draw a LOT less power (especially if the screen's off) when just playing music.

imec said:
I don't care as long as it makes it to at least three hours. (Hopefully it will, I never take my electronics out of the house, so charging every three hours isn't bad. It will support charge/play, right?)
It's nice that omap saves power when you are not using the cpu fully, maybe I will get 10+ hours while reading manga if full power gaming gets 4-6 hours

I will be very happy if Pandora last 5 hours at maximun overclocking.

10 hours is far away of reality.

10 hours would be awesome and all, but i remember going on 16+ hour drives with the family, and with my gameboy (and eventually gp2x) i could just pop in my extra batteries when it dies. with pandora, its either buy an in car charger or listen to my mother's cheesy book on tapes rolling constantly through the drive.

I hope it will have big enough capacitors, so that you can change the battery pack while the device is in use.

slint said:
I hope it will have big enough capacitors, so that you can change the battery pack while the device is in use.
This has actually been discussed, and the developers will do all they can, but in the end it will require some sort of power-down before the battery can be changed safely.

The only accurate way to determine the battery life is to take a final production unit, charge it fully, and then time how long it takes before it dies. Obviously we don't have that yet, so all we can do is guesstimate.

You can make educated guesses, though. You can add up the power requirements of the known components (OMAP3430, LCD, WiFi chip, etc.) to get a good idea of how much power the final product will draw. You can take the dimensions of the case, subtract the space needed for known components, and figure out how large a battery you can fit inside. You can divide the mAH rating of the battery that can fit in that space (remember, this will be a custom LiPo pack) by the power requirements of the components and get a rough idea of battery life. By rough I mean maybe +- 30%.

There's a bit of sleuthing involved, but it is the only way to get a real number. We're all just making baseless assumptions until somebody figures out some hard specs.

Idea: how about a built-in heavy-duty voltage regulator for accepting a variety of voltages?

I.E., just plug in a solar panel and have it charge the Pandora (slowly, maybe).

I would really like this.

atomicthumbs said:
Idea: how about a built-in heavy-duty voltage regulator for accepting a variety of voltages?

I.E., just plug in a solar panel and have it charge the Pandora (slowly, maybe).

It would never finish charging here in the uk. :rolleyes:

Trooper

trooper said:
atomicthumbs said:

It would never finish charging here in the uk. :rolleyes:

Trooper

...and here in Aus your Pandora would be at risk of developing melanoma... :)

Cheers

Back