Beauty competition.

Apparently ED is running a poll on twitter (kind of), and there are currently 70 likes for the chrome version, and 43 for the black version...

Personally, I'd like to term the colour something other than "Chrome". It doesn't look much like chrome to me in the photos, and there are much cooler metals. Perhaps the Gunmetal Pyra, Smoke Hazed Rubidium Pyra, or, for a bit of alliteration, the Tainted Titanium.

Randomly curious to see what a Pokédex-style render would look like (but only for the purpose of potential future accessory cases...) \o/

After getting over my initial excitement of new photos, I have to agree with Askarus, they are great product images but poor at conveying 'realism'. I too would like to see some phone snaps on a desk or something. If I had to choose from just these images it would be the gunmetal which I'm surprised about.

Thanks for posting ED, keep up the good work!

I've slept a night over it... I'm leaning towards the dark grey now... Still C64c retro cream white would be a serious consideration for me if it would be an option.
That could be a future accessory :)

The logo looks trash on black housing.
As mentioned previously, the logo stands out a little too much against the black case.
I either don't like that particular black or the contrast between the logo plate and this black doesn't agree with me
I like the black too but to me it seems a little jarring contrast between the case and the logo plate.
Indeed, and that is exactly why I was saying to TRY to coat the logo plate with the case in the previous post.

The chrome looks better to me, it is ok. But I don't like FAKE metal plastic.
The black color is way too mismatched with the logo color. And it looks too shiny I much prefer the previous matte black.

Overall both cases are too much.
The Pyra is already an extravagant device, form factor, leds, keyboard, you don't need to add an extra shiny coating + logo on top of that. That's TOO MUCH.

Indeed, and that is exactly why I was saying to TRY to coat the logo plate with the case in the previous post.

*sigh* For the tenth time, this doesn't make any sense nor would it even be possible.

1. I could produce 1000 of these logos for a price that's even cheaper of coating them. And I could print ANYTHING into them. Pink, a picture of a dog, whatever. Producing them with one color is just as useful as buying a green car just to paint it yellow afterwards.
2. How would you even coat it? It's self-adhesive on one side. So you can't put it into the lid and coat it - otherwise you'd coat the translucent logo as well. And coating it before putting it into the case would probably be a bit unclean as color would get into the opening where the logo is. Additionally, the self-adhesive would probably suffer as well.

Besides that, a new production also doesn't make a lot of sense.
The production of the logo and plastic are vastly different, so are the colors.
It's probably impossible to get the exact same look - and if you try to get the look as close as possible, everyone would just say "Nice try, but didn't work".
Two colors that are nearly the same but not exactly ALWAYS look horrible.

So the only way to make it look okay is to have two different colors.
I've seen the case in real life, and I think it looks pretty good.

And out of about 40 - 50 who love the look here and on twitter, you found three or four who think the contrast is a bit too much?
Oh well.

You are welcome to coat your logo and unit any way you like. I won't stop you from doing that.
You are also welcome to pay me the costs for coating your logo or producing you a logo plate with a color you want. I have no problem arranging that.
The last one would probably be the best solution, that would be around 300 EUR, you're okay with that?

The black color is way too mismatched with the logo color. And it looks too shiny I much prefer the previous matte black.

The previous blacks were a lot glossier, btw. I can make some comparison pictures.
Even the uncoated case is glossier. The only way to make it matte is by not putting a protective clean coating on top. Which means it would scratch within a few days. And look like my Nintendo 3ds: I barely used it, but it looks scratched like hell.
I loved the original matte look - but after a week, I was already cursing at Nintendo.

The black coating is the exact same used on the the PS4 controllers, btw. How many complaints have you seen on the net that it is too shiny?

The Pyra is already an extravagant device, form factor, leds, keyboard, you don't need to add an extra shiny coating + logo on top of that. That's TOO MUCH.

The logo is useful for notifications if it lies around somewhere and it's closed. I can be used to see if your compilation is finished, you can use it as notifications for emails, SMS, phone call or even finished downloads.
You can let it show the remaining battery, etc.

Without coating, it looks so horrible that I cannot show it to anyone. This has been tested multiple times. It's not enough to sell the Pyra only 1000 times, I need at least 3000 sales in the end.
And without the coating, reviews would be devastating simply for its looks.

You need to think about stuff like that as well, not only what you yourself care about. Unless you plan to buy 2000 units from me - then I can coat the full logo so that it doesn't even lit up anymore for you :)

you found three or four who think the contrast is a bit too much?

I hope you didn't include me in those three. I said the contrast looked a bit much for the black one, but looks great in the photo for the chrome version, and it's honestly hard to have a good, objective opinion of contrast or look without seeing it in more detail, in more environmental settings and lighting. To clarify, I love the chrome version, and reserve judgement on the black version for now.

@Kiga, whether you feel your frustration is valid or not, please don't quote others out of context for the sake of your own argument. My feelings on the logo do not reflect yours.

Don't have any preference, both look fine for me. I'm more concerned how well the coating will keep with time, yes ED said that it will be very durable and whatever. Call me skeptic, this is something I need to check by myself.

Thanks a lot for sharing the photos.

The black does not look any good with the logo so it’s going to have to be dark chrome. Or transparent. Whatever happened to those?

Back