Benchmarking Cortex A8

jabz

I see quite a few mentions around the newer Cortex A8 used in iPhone 3GS, ODRIOD etc being faster than the Pandora.
Can anyone point me to some actual benchmarks or comparisions I'd like to see how much faster? If it's anything like the CPU/GPU benchmark we get for PC's then I'd say not much to worry about, i..e this cpu/gpu will give me 60fps vs this another combination will give me 62fps.

Pandora is using Cortex-A8, same as those Samsung based chips. The only difference is that they have more L1 cache and a higher clock speed. And determining that more L1 cache and higher clock speed makes for a faster CPU is like determining that a 16oz steak is bigger than a 12oz one.

There could be other bottlenecks, like the memory subsystem slowing it down. For instance, I've heard that the memory layer in i.MX51 is a bigger bottleneck than it is in OMAP35xx. This would affect overall performance. But if you're just talking about raw CPU performance then that doesn't necessarily factor.

jabz, it won't answer your question, but you may search for Pandora's nBench results as a starting point. They are posted somewhere on these boards. I don't know if nBench works on an iPhone, though. We compared Pandora's Cortex to Atom and the older OMAP2 a few months ago.

Back