Best Mame Games For Wiz?

chickendung

TO THE TRENTON TAR PITS!
Website
i currently do not have a website.com
Seeing as MAME4All is the most downloaded app in the archive, I thought it would be worth it to look into playing some MAME games for once. However, I do not know which ones are most enjoyable, and If I did, I wouldn't be sure if they would work well on the Wiz. A short list of games you enjoy and work well would be great!

Also, do Neo-Geo Arcade games like Metal Slug run under MAME4All, or do I need a separate emulator?

Thanks!

All I have to say is get Ghosts n Goblins and/or Ghouls n Ghosts. Both run excellently on the Wiz and you'll probably never beat them so you don't really need any other games, right? :D

chickendung said:
Seeing as MAME4All is the most downloaded app in the archive, I thought it would be worth it to look into playing some MAME games for once. However, I do not know which ones are most enjoyable, and If I did, I wouldn't be sure if they would work well on the Wiz. A short list of games you enjoy and work well would be great!

Also, do Neo-Geo Arcade games like Metal Slug run under MAME4All, or do I need a separate emulator?

Thanks!
What is "best" is entirely based on what you like so that is a hard question. Some may be older and like Ms.Pacman while others may have played SFII in the arcade and like that best.

Yes some NeoGeo games run under MAME. I wouldn't use MAME to run those though. It is slower and the bigger ROMs don't work due to memory use. Use FBA for MVS games and NeoCD for CD stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
chickendung said:

Thanks!

I personally recommend Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Son Son, Pooyan, Frogger, super basketball, tag team wrestling, mat mania/exciting hour, Metal Slug, Mr. Do! and Mr. Do! run run. There should be something in there you like.

EDIT: I really wish someone would add save states to Mame. That would be awesome, maybe I could finally finish some of these games.

The first game I played on MAME4ALL was my all time fave coin-op - RoboCop. I wasn't disappointed. "Thankyou for your co-operation" :)

For me a perfect emulated portable version of Joust is like heaven.

Robotron 2024 is also near perfect and the Wiz controls are perfect. For this I also like Space Dungeon. Wish Smash TV worked better under MAME.

I also play a ton of Asteroids and Gravitar. Gravitar is awesome but tough as nails.

I like I, Robot!

I,_Robot_(arcade_game).png

it was one of the first ever 3D games and great fun to play!

I would recommend:-

nemesis(gradius 1,3),vulcan venture(gradius 2),salamander,r-type,hellfire, - for space shoot-em ups.

outrun,chase hq,pole position 1 or 2,road blasters - for drivin.

bubble bobble,rainbow islands,strider,wonder boy,ghosts'n goblins,ghouls'n ghosts,dragon buster - for platform.

commando,ikari warriors,space harrier(slow ish)star wars,empire strikes back - for shoot-em ups.

track n field,hyper sports,marble madness,gauntlet,blood bros,world cop 90(slight sound prob),tehkan world cup - various other games.

There are other classics that i missed out that work great if i were to list them all i might aswell of copied and paste the gamelist file. :rolleyes:

Enjoy :D

bazza09 said:
I would recommend:-

nemesis(gradius 1,3),vulcan venture(gradius 2),salamander,r-type,hellfire, - for space shoot-em ups.

outrun,chase hq,pole position 1 or 2,road blasters - for drivin.

bubble bobble,rainbow islands,strider,wonder boy,ghosts'n goblins,ghouls'n ghosts,dragon buster - for platform.

commando,ikari warriors,space harrier(slow ish)star wars,empire strikes back - for shoot-em ups.

track n field,hyper sports,marble madness,gauntlet,blood bros,world cop 90(slight sound prob),tehkan world cup - various other games.

There are other classics that i missed out that work great if i were to list them all i might aswell of copied and paste the gamelist file. :rolleyes:

Enjoy :D

Great list! I'll see if I can get my hands on those roms.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the version of MAME in question. Some roms work with some versions of MAME and some don't. It's not a problem with the rom per-se, it's more to do with some roms not being compatible with the version of MAME on the wiz.

There is more than one version of a rom, keep searching and check out the gamelist.txt file that has all the info you need

stick to that and you cannot go wrong. ;)

My oddball arcade favorites, in case anyone cares. ;)

Mappy
Champion Wrestler
Bagman (it's super-hard!)
Mat Mania
Discs of Tron
Sinistar
Crazy Climber
Qix
Phoenix
Mr. Do!
Magic Sword

This is, of course, along with the standards like Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede, etc.

Discs of Tron
Qix
Phoenix
Mr. Do!

These are a good shout, the rest of them i never got into unfortunately.

Some more "oddball" games i will mention

moon cresta, galaxians, defender, gorf and spy hunter(the loud grunt it made every time a coin was inserted you could hear it at the other end of the arcade and it was a big ass arcade aswell) Pure quality :)

If you're into trivia you should check out Fax. It takes a little longer than I would like on the Wiz but I seem to remember it running just fine. Keep in mind some of the trivia is outdated but most of the questions aren't time sensitive. In fact I like the entertainment category better outdated, because I know more trivia about old stuff than I do new :)

Back