Best Way To Buy Gpx2.

Dimension

Still Fresh
HI im a hobbiest game programmer and I came across this a few months ago and decided that the gpx2 is definetly something I want. First though I need to know some things. First I want to buy the 275 mhz version. Is the extra speed the product of overclocking or are they just faster processors and if so can I overclock it more second is wifi possible through usb or sd? third can i hook upa keyboard via usb for word processing etc. and also ihow is the sdk? I really look forward to playing my favorite retro games on this and programming games and possibly emulators for the community. and the features seem great . Thanx in advance!!!

I believe the 275mhz just means you can overclock that far. It isn't as processor upgrade.

The community SDK/toolchain is great. I can't comment on the SDK provided by GPH since I don't use.

I can't answer all of that as I am not a programmer, but I can tell you that the 275 mhz version is just a regualar gp2x that has been tested to ensure that it can be overclocked to 275 mhz... the hardware is the same. There is no Wifi support through sdio, Though the gp2x technically has sdio support, I have been told that it is pretty much impossible for anyone to make gp2x sdio drivers. I do not know about usb wifi. I know that people have used keyboards through the external port, so its possible but I am not sure what software supports them.

edited to take out incorrect info

I apologize, though that was a pretty rude way to correct me. I generally reserve the word bullshit for talking about someone who has knowingly said the wrong thing. Though I don't like being scolded over the internet, i am incredibly interested in what you said about people getting it working, could you please give me a link to a thread about someone getting wifi to work.

P.S. I edited my post to take out the misleading info

Thanx guys! DO you think its worth buying the 275mhz model? Cause could order from a u.s. distibuter but I saw this one had 275mhz so I second guessed it. Does it make a big improvement in emulation etc?

You're bound to get at least 250-260 without paying the extra dough.

- Alex

I figured but if I do get it can I overclock it even more? or is 275 Uaually the limit?

Learn to type and spell (that means put thought into your posts before you post, not just bash on the keyboard and hope we understand).

To answer your question, the clockspeed is random, so craig takes some units out and tests them and gives you the first one he notices that can stably overclock to 275 MHz, and only checks that. Anything higher is possible but not guaranteed.

OK I understand now. Sorry about the spelling. Wrote it in a hurry. Thanks for your quick reply's.

Higher clockrate will help for:

SNES
Amiga
NeoGeo
MAME (for newer games)
Quake

Everything else you wouldn't run higher than 250mhz at most anyway.

For those programs mentioned above, at 240-250mhz they're quite playable anyway, but sometimes you will need more frameskip than at 275mhz. It would be, say, 10% faster/smoother on the most demanding games.

To answer your question: it really depends on how disposable your income is versus how finicky you are with emulation speed.

I have a low clock GP2X and just wanted to give my input on high OC vs low OC. My unit goes up only to about 140-150 and the only thing so fat that dosent run fullspeed is Quake. It's playable, but I don't really case because I was never much of a Quake fam anyway. I have only tried Genesis, SNES, Gameboy, Vektar, Payback Demo, Doom, Beats of Rage, and Quake though.

Back