Release Beta Test: Upcoming (HF5) Firmware Image BETA 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated to this firmware (HF5 BETA 4.

Since then, my wifi didn't work, device kept freezing and all my emulators / documentations refused to open :blink: So i re flashed and updated to HF4 again. All back to normal now.

With HF4 (and prior fixes) I couldn't connect to my belkin wireless router but I could connect to my Huwei MiFi wireless network.

When I installed HF5, initially my belkin wireless network worked - Joy! Unfortunately, since rebooting my pandy I can no longer connect to either network. I repeatedly get asked for the wireless key, which is a problem I have seen people report in the past.

I have removed the battery, turned wifi off and on, removed my configured networks from the list and re-added them but nothing I do will get me connected. Can anyone out there tell me if there's a local config file/cache I need to remove/edit in order to get this working again?

Is this thread the best way of reporting HF5 issues?

Cheers,

Adam.

I think notaz checked in the fix that long-usernames were borking op_menu.sh:

http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pandora-libraries.git;a=commit;h=d5981ef223296d25107151360382e02111e63c4a

We definately need more blood in development .. active wise its pretty much notaz on kernel, me on libpnd/minimenu/scripts/userland and ED on random-hacks-of-kindness :) (firmware builds, sh-scripts, configuration, userland.) sebt3 has adopted pnd_run.sh and done some cleanup too :) (And of course random deposits from urjaman and some others, not to be forgotten. I'm not being exhaustive here.)

RL is kicking my rear (small kid around, overtime with work, and maxxing out on libpnd/minimenu/writing-games already) so I've elected to keep out of kernel for pandora since the beginning .. sometimes you just have to draw lines to keep semi-sane (and notaz really is frakking good.) (I'm actually doing some kernel work for another project, but Pandora has been eating up all my time for a couple years so that work has petered right off). Makes me feel guilty that I'm not helping notaz out, but such is life .. we sort of have domains - notaz does this, I do that, ED does suchandfoo, djwillis takes over when he arrives, vimacs is script-god when he has moments, etc :)

djwillis pops in and out depending on his RL commitments, and he's still the god of the firmware.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
hi ed, I was wondering about implemntation of mp3 playback. I know on the psp you could copy some files to your root stick and then enable it the firmware plugin bit so by pressing a weird combo it would start playing mp3s in a folder. Could this ever be done?

hi ed, I was wondering about implemntation of mp3 playback. I know on the psp you could copy some files to your root stick and then enable it the firmware plugin bit so by pressing a weird combo it would start playing mp3s in a folder. Could this ever be done?
You just install the codec pack (only if you are legally allowed to, of course!) and got mp3 playback support! Have a look at this page for the codec pack: http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199&Itemid=40&lang=en

Sorry should've been more specific.

When I had a psp I had the below plugin allowing the psp to have "embedded" mp3 player. You had to do a weird, unlikely combo to play, stop and skip tracks (select and left for instance)

This was embedded and could music could be started from the second you turn your PSP on and ran independant of the applications with like "select and up" starting music and select and right/left skipping tracks. A vid below shows what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qrxA7ju54bo?feature=oembed

There is ommpc that can do that, it has a backend and a frontend once you kill the frontend (that looks like a normal mp3 player) it keeps playing in the background.

Things like mplayer are also command line players that can do that.

Is it possible to turn that stupid keychain off then? I really hate xfc compared to mini menu

Normally, it should be off if you create an empty one (first time you're asked, don't enter a password and select to use unsafe storage)

Hi Ed,

I've just installed the latest hotfix and took the above into account when running for the first time, BUT 1st, the only time I got anything that CONFIRMED a password (I assume this keychain does this too) it was a password for my username thats all. Then 2nd, it would prompt for password to install stuff (same as my user account) finally when I first got the keychain password it wouldn't let me enter blank (would only accept my user account password). Does it use user account password by default or something? Do I have to use no password at all on my user account to avoid keychain prompt? Sorry, I not exactly a newbie to linux but this keychain stuff I fully don't understand.

The user has to have a password, the keychain doesn't have to.

You can leave the keychain password fields empty and that's it :)

The user has to have a password, the keychain doesn't have to.

You can leave the keychain password fields empty and that's it :)

but thats just it. The first time I seen keychain it wouldn't let me leave it blank. Anyway I can check or reset it to blank now?

I have been watching some videos, and I have noticed some tearing when using omapfb driver. A bit of googling shows there's a patch to enable vsync support.

Is it planned to add this patch to the Pandora firmware? For some people (like me), tearing is very annoying...

Also there is another issue regarding video playback with mplayer: the playback window gets cut, and two small horizontal bars in the upper and lower area of the video are not shown. If you enable fullscreen mode, you can see the missing area is replaced with black bars. Most of the time this is not very annoying, but when watching video with subtitles, the subtitles are sometimes cut a bit.

I have tested this with mplayer and H264+AAC MP4 videos encoded at 640x360 resolution. I don't know if this also happens with other codecs/players/resolutions. These videos play perfect with Ubuntu MPlayer in my PC, including the "missing area".

Also it is a bit suspicious that the missing area has approximately the same size as the lower menu bar (with the play/skip buttons and the progress bar).

The driver already supports vsync (that's why most games and emulators run smoothly :) )

However, you need to use it. I don't know what mplayer uses to play videos, you can use various settings though.

The driver already supports vsync (that's why most games and emulators run smoothly :) )

However, you need to use it. I don't know what mplayer uses to play videos, you can use various settings though.
MPlayer video playback relies (as default) on xvideo (Xv) working. This is some overlay for the driver used, which also overlays stuff like menus and whatnot. Vsync for this can be dependent on completely other things than eg OpenGLES vsync. It all depends on how this Xv stuff is done.

Hm, mplayer also supports SDL.

I wonder how well it would run with notaz hardware SDL. It would also support scaling then.

I might see if I find the time to try.

Normally, it should be off if you create an empty one (first time you're asked, don't enter a password and select to use unsafe storage)
Exactly what I did. Works fine that way. Autoconnects to WiFi, etc.

When using mplayer, I usually tell it to render on fb, and then use ofbset to scale up, and works great to give a few more fps :)

jeff

I've been wondering if any of the hot-fixes allow you to charge the Pandora with out it being on. Also would any of the hot-fixes add support for exFAT or is that something that won't be able to happen. If not I guess I'll just have to format it as ext3 so if it won't support exFAT does anyone know how to format it without journaling?

<snip>

Also would any of the hot-fixes add support for exFAT or is that something that won't be able to happen. If not I guess I'll just have to format it as ext3 so if it won't support exFAT does anyone know how to format it without journaling?
I have no idea what is exFAT, but if linux can support it and it is open source, then it is possible ;)

ext3 is ext2 with a journal, so if you want ext3 without a journal, you need to use ext2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back