Release Beta Test: Upcoming (HF5) Firmware Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a while since the last hotfixes have been released, but now as Pandoras finally are shipping again, it's time to work more on the firmware.

Creating a HotFix-PND takes some time, but releasing an image as full flash is easy, so here's a preview image of the upcoming HF5.

There have been quite a few fixes and additions, here's a full changelog:

Code:
* LCD-Settings: Fixed the bug where the user could delete the default gamma setting
* LCD-Settings: Added Video-FIR-Selector
* Mass Storage Settings: Fixed a bug where it didn't remount the card under certain conditions
* First Run Wizard + Date / Time-Setting: Fixed timezone-selection - should finally work now.
* Applications: Removed Pidgin, Gnumeric, AbiWord, Clawsmail (use the PNDs for sebt3!)
* Applications: Added GCalcTool (Calculator)
* CPU-Speed: Now configurable using /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf
* Pandora-State: Can now set a default CPU Speed during startup
* XFCE4: Enabled Icons in Startmenu, added Pandora-Splashscreen
* WiFi: New driver and firmware version with a lot of fixes (Yuri Ershov, notaz and Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli)
* xf86-video-omapfb: Handle cycle/forcer events better
* Automount: Unmount from Thunar / XFCE4 is now possible
* Low-Power-Mode: Speed now set to 125 MHz (works more stable and doesn't use more power)
* Lid Closing: Disabled LCD Blanking, since that has issues with audioplayers
* Brightness-Buttons: Changed values so that the screen doesn't flicker anymore
* pnd_run: Lots of fixes and cleanups (sebt3)
* pnd_run: Script now popups a message if mount fails (sebt3)
* pnd_run: Fixed running of directories with PXMLs inside (Paul Brook)
* U-Boot: Add WiFi reset on boot (fixes occassional power eating from WiFi Chip even if it was switched off)
* U-Boot: Pandora Menu: Always add serial option (for sure)

Besides the fixes (and most notably some more WiFi fixes!), it introduces a cool new feature: CPU-Settings!

There is no GUI yet to configure those settings (will be added within the next week), but you can manually edit the configfile.

To do so, edit /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf (as root).

So, what can you change in that config?

You can adjust the minimum and maximum allowed CPU-Speed (i.e. if you know your unit can't go higher than 800 MHz, you can set that as limit).

You can set the Safe-CPU-Speed: If you clock higher than the safe setting, you get the overclocking warning.

You can disable the overclocking warning.

You can set the maximum allowed OPP (default set to 3). BE WARNED: A value higher than 3 needs lets you overclock higher, but needs MORE POWER AND REDUCES YOUR CPU-LIFE!

You can set the default CPU-Speed that will be set on startup.

Some might ask:

What happens if the default CPU-Speed is set too high and the system will crash on startup?

Easy: It won't change the speed on the next boot, so you can fix the settings.

The image has not been extensively tested for a long time, but that's where you can help!

How to flash the image?

Easy: Download the zipped image and extract the full contents onto the root of your SD Card.

Put the SD Card into slot 1 (the left one), switch on the Pandora while holding the R-Shoulder button and select "boot from SD1:1"

The flashing process should start. After it's finished, reboot the unit.

The first boot will take a while (up to 10 minutes). Patiently wait and you'll be greeted with the First Boot Wizard.

WARNING: You lose ALL YOUR CUSTOM SETTINGS you made on the NAND. The Pandora will basically the same as you got it! Be sure to backup ANY DOCUMENTS you saved on the NAND!

And please report back if you encounter any issues :) Thanks :D

NEW VERSION RELEASED HERE

[/CODE]

Last edited:
Awesome , one problem though . Xfce 4.8 just came out. Will you add it to hf5 or will it have to wait ?

No, that surely has to wait.

There is a way bigger update planned when DJWillis has some more time, but it takes months to move to a complete new system.

Yanchamaru. (Can anyone beat this for obscurity? :p )

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Hotfix 5 reaching its final state (I'm looking forward to the FIR selector, in particular, as I currently set this manually at every boot). I'm afraid I don't have the time of late to be messing about with the way I have my Pandora set up, or else I might give this image a go. :p

How about adding some of Wizardstan's work with battery charging cutoff and restart? Maybe a value for BCIMFTH2 somewhere between 0xDC and 0xED? I don't know what the perfect value is but the battery should get some time to discharge before restarting the charging process.

How about adding some of Wizardstan's work with battery charging cutoff and restart? Maybe a value for BCIMFTH2 somewhere between 0xDC and 0xED? I don't know what the perfect value is but the battery should get some time to discharge before restarting the charging process.

Yep, that's planned, but notaz and me (we just chatted today) wanted to talk with you about the proper value first :D

^ This, and this is a quote on how the end-of-charge is detected (from the TPS65950 TRM):

7.5.10 Battery End-of-Charge Current Detection
Battery end-of-charge current detection detects whether the battery charge current is less than 80 mA.

Battery end-of-charge current detection is a MADC monitoring function. The ICHGEOC status bit rises and

an interrupt is generated when the battery current is less than 80 mA.

In software-controlled mode, battery end-of-charge current detection is started by setting the ICHGEOCEN

bit to 1. To ensure accuracy, it must not be started for 50 ms after charging is enabled.

7.5.10.1 Scaling for ICHGEOCTH <cut the math out, go read the pdf if you need it>

NOTE: The 80-mA threshold must be set according to system power consumption on VBAT,

because it can vary ± 40 mA.
I think we should tune the current so that an idle pandora will always stop charging when full.

Link to wizardstan's work: http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=195

Just flashed the test and it worked flawlessly. The wifi seemed a bit more snappy but I did not run any speed tests. But it seemed to be more responsive. Things after a brief look around look more polished.

Looking forward to giving it a better run in the morning.

Yep, that's planned, but notaz and me (we just chatted today) wanted to talk with you about the proper value first :D
I don't really know what the right value would be. Someone who is a chemistry expert and knows how LiPo works would be the only one who could answer that. Maybe there is decent information online somewhere. Looking at the specs on the battery protection PCB, after an overcharge condition, the battery is only reconnected when the cell relaxes to 4.075V (+/- 0.03V) so maybe that means something.

So this hotfix can only be flashed. Are there any things that can go wrong with making the flash SD card. Or is it as simple as emptying a card putting the file on and flashing the pandora. (oh I'll wait for the PND, I dont have my new pandora yet so I have time)

Last edited by a moderator:
So this hotfix can only be flashed. Are there any things that can go wrong with making the flash SD card. Or is it as simple as emptying a card putting the file on and flashing the pandora. (oh I'll wait for the PND, I dont have my new pandora yet so I have time)
Well if the file is corrupt or something you can always redownload make a new SD and do it again,

the pandora is "unbrickable" so worst you can do is break OS and reflash

Edit: also its easy after you set up SD card turn pandora on holding the right trigger your shown a menu and then you choose boot from SD and then follow on screen instructions (if any)

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, new firmware update.

Is Pandora team for the next firmware update taking on really challenging tasks?

Like getting drivers for DSP and GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back