Release Beta Test: Upcoming (HF5) Firmware Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks ED. Looking forward to when DJWillis has more time and we can get a larger update to XFCE 4.8, newer kernel etc. It's encouraging to see so many fixes contributed by the community -- thanks everyone.

went to try edit the cpu speed script (as my Pandora so far can handle a little extra horsepower than the 800mhz maximum, but when I try to save the file I get an error message "can't open file to write". Any ideas? Also the links to email and IM are still on the desktop by default. Not gotten a chance to really try out the wifi yet, defintiely seems faster for my unit than before, and the faster restore from low power mode is definitely much snappier!

Last edited by a moderator:
went to try edit the cpu speed script (as my Pandora so far can handle a little extra horsepower than the 800mhz maximum, but when I try to save the file I get an error message "can't open file to write". Any ideas? Also the links to email and IM are still on the desktop by default. Not gotten a chance to really try out the wifi yet, defintiely seems faster for my unit than before, and the faster restore from low power mode is definitely much snappier!
You will need root permissions

How are you editing it,

I use terminal do change my cpuspeed script, will be able to chnage the cpu.conf the same way

#sudo cp /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh /media/SDCARDNAME

#vi /media/SDCARDNAME/op_cpuspeed.sh (or just use another editor now its on your sd card wouldnt hurt to backup either)

#sudo cp /media/SDCARDNAME/op_cpuspeed.sh /usr/pandora/op_cpuspeed.sh

I do it that way so when I flash I can just quickly copy file back over.

edit : done from memory folders maybe slightly different,

you don't need to copy it, you can edit it in place with terminal command

if you're familiar with vi

> sudo vi /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh

if you prefer the gui

> sudo mousepad /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh

Don't think there's currently a way to open a file for editing as root from within xfce though, just the terminal.

Code:
* Applications: Removed Pidgin, Gnumeric, AbiWord, Clawsmail (use the PNDs for sebt3!)
Seems there would then be some NAND space savings, correct?

Code:
* Lid Closing: Disabled LCD Blanking, since that has issues with audioplayers
So the screen stays on all the time now even with the lid closed? Can that be a selectable option? What about an alternative of simply dimming it to minimum to conserve battery? I'm going to have to look up what these audio issues are. Anybody got a refresher or quote?

So the screen stays on all the time now even with the lid closed? Can that be a selectable option? What about an alternative of simply dimming it to minimum to conserve battery? I'm going to have to look up what these audio issues are. Anybody got a refresher or quote?

The backlight is completely off, just the screen signal itself is still there.

There was an issue when being in TV Out mode, but I can change the lid script so it will blank when NOT in TV Out Mode :)

Ah, TV out, of course. Makes sense. Thanks! Going to try the new FW tonight when I get home.

you don't need to copy it, you can edit it in place with terminal command

if you're familiar with vi

> sudo vi /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh

if you prefer the gui

> sudo mousepad /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh

Don't think there's currently a way to open a file for editing as root from within xfce though, just the terminal.

sadly my Linux knowledge falls down dramatically at that point, ~I managed to get the cpu.conf file open and changed some values in there, but as I don't know how to change the opp value myself (it'd be nice if it appeared as another slider when one is changing the CPU speed), that's as far as I got really!

sadly my Linux knowledge falls down dramatically at that point, ~I managed to get the cpu.conf file open and changed some values in there, but as I don't know how to change the opp value myself (it'd be nice if it appeared as another slider when one is changing the CPU speed), that's as far as I got really!
On the terminal, type

Code:
echo 5 > /proc/pandora/cpu_opp_max

echo 900 > /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max

Sets it to OPP5 and 900 mhz. DO NOT put the Pandora into low power mode. Restoring from low power mode always puts it to OPP3, and since you're trying to run 900Mhz it'll crash your Pandora. Do not set opp higher than 5. Really shouldn't run at OPP5 for extended periods of time, either. You can also try 1000 or higher, but not many people can do that so be prepared for a crash.

When you're done, reduce the mhz back to 500 before setting the OPP back to 3

Alternatively, wait for hotfix 5. EvilDragon is working on config options for all this so you don't have to punch in commands.

One vote for Yie Ar Kung Fu!

+1 from me.

@ED Any chance you could make the Pandora display Zaxxon HF5 on boot, it would make things easier for general troubleshooting. Forgive me if there is already an easy way to see what HF version you are running.

Just wanted to add that I like what I've seen so far as changes. Only thing I forgot was to backup my FFVII. Oh well, savestates and that game are a love hate relationship. Well done with the update!

I'll hang tough and wait for EvilDragon to give us an easily configurable version, plenty of Pandora goodness to keep me well entertained until then! :)

Just wanted to add that I like what I've seen so far as changes. Only thing I forgot was to backup my FFVII. Oh well, savestates and that game are a love hate relationship. Well done with the update!

You had the savestate on the NAND?

If you have the emulator PND on the SD Card, it should still be there, including all savestates.

I installed the full HF5 firmware and re-installed the community codec package. All seems well, but Abiword from my PND doesn't start any more. Has a library disappeared?

I installed the full HF5 firmware and re-installed the community codec package. All seems well, but Abiword from my PND doesn't start any more. Has a library disappeared?

Yes, the ones that are only needed for AbiWord.

Already fixed, redownload the PND from sebt3's site.

Just to note that you may get the same problem with gnumeric.

And while I'm pretty confidant abiword will works with my last update, i'm less sure for gnumeric. ED confirmed me that it start, but it might have some problem doing advanced stuff.

I hadnt had time to test it myself. In fact, I have near no time for pandora related stuff theses days but I'm still commited to make sure everything is OK.

If you've a problem, feel free to bug me in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back