Release Blender

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Hi,

You'll find on the repo a port of blender v2.68, here.

previewA.png

This new Blender is compiled with Hardware support, using gl4es. (version prior to build 04 used MesaGL). Only v2.68 is included, I dropped old 2.49b build.

This version works with GL acceleration, but due to heavy used of glDrawPixel functions, the GUI is still a bit slow. The 3D View is fast.

I suggest you use a real mouse for this software.

I have to deactivate the menus that spawn a new window (2: user preference from top menu, and duplicate window from top menu too), and force to Fullscreen.

It looks quite stable, but may crash. It's still an experimental build.

Here is a video of Build 05 on a Gigahertz Pandora

Starting with build 05, it use LIBGL_FB=3, so it's a bit slower, but mouse doesn't leave any artifact.

Build History
=========
Build 05
----------

• Fresh build
  • Updated libs
  • Switched to gl4es
Build 04
----------
  • Switched to Blender v2.68
  • Removed old Blender v2.49b
  • Hardware accelerated!
Build 03
----------
  • Added Blender v2.65a
  • Added Python 3.3.0 runtime to PND. Python 2 is still there too.
Build 02
----------
  • Added Python 2.7.3 runtime to PND, so blander actually starts.
Build 01
----------
  • Initial release.

Last edited:
Very nice, It's time for Blender on Pandora. :) I still have v2.49b on my PC because I've learned Blender with the old Interface and the new one is completely different, including completely different hotkeys and everything (although much more userfriendly than the old interface mess ;) ).

I'm sure to use blender on the Pandora, HW acceleration is useful but rendering still can be done on the PC, if at least modeling is usable on the Pandora. I've waited a long time for a Blender port for the Handheld, it should be strongly maintained and supported, Blender is a pretty useful program imho. ^^

I hope it works. My tests were minimu as I suck at 3D stuff ( :( ) and I was only able to load samples. I tried to move camera and do simple things, but just failed. I have to follow some (plenty) tutorials think.

awesome, I hope you can eventually suport and improve this a bit more in a near future :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried firing this up last night using XFCE and it didn't start, just stayed at the desktop and the SD card flashed on and off once or twice.

Perhaps I'll try redownloading. Do I need anything special to get this to run?

Nothing special needed, all libs are included, it should run out of the box. I'll retest without codeblocks pnd latter to be sure.

Ok, I've tested, and you are right. It just don't start.

I have constructed a new PND, it was missing the whole Python2.7.3 runtime... I'll upload a new PND on the repo as soon as I can.

Sorry for this.

Tested. Works.

Here are some hints that I find out while trying to remember the Blender-controls:

- you can turn view by holding ALT and using the touchscreen. Or press Alt+hold the right nub left (leftclick) and use the left nub to rotate (just like with Alt+Touchscreen)

- Alt+Rnubright+Lnub move object

- press TAB (Fn+Tab) to enter edit mode of currently selected object.

- Right-click (right nub right) does select a vertice.

- press g to grab the selected vertice and move it

- In XFCE go to Start->Settings->Desktop->Window Manager Tweaks->Accessibilty and set the key to grab the window to "none". Then you can use the shift-modifier in Blender for e.g. selecting multiple vertices.

Editing worked better than I expected. Though it's probably not very useable in a productive way, it's quite nice for a test.

Thanks for testing ! Glad it works now (I'm improving, I need just 2 release this time <_< , next time I may have a working version from build 01 :p )

Awesome! Works on old 256MB-Pandora and better than I thought. Its actually speedy enough to create basic models. Rendering is slow, I expected that. Using a real keyboard+mouse is recommended.

Hint: Blender has a built in (texture) painting tool. Switch from 3D-View to Image/Texture edit window, create a new white texture and hit c for the brush controls. Hide again with c (so the painting is more responsive) and paint! Works much smoother than with myPaint.

rightTrigger+up maximizes any subwindow.

Edit: I have hopes for the newer blender versions with the updated UI because there are customizable keyboard shortcuts.

Tested. Works.

Here are some hints that I find out while trying to remember the Blender-controls:

- you can turn view by holding ALT and using the touchscreen. Or press Alt+hold the right nub left (leftclick) and use the left nub to rotate (just like with Alt+Touchscreen)

- Alt+Rnubright+Lnub move object

- press TAB (Fn+Tab) to enter edit mode of currently selected object.

- Right-click (right nub right) does select a vertice.

- press g to grab the selected vertice and move it

- In XFCE go to Start->Settings->Desktop->Window Manager Tweaks->Accessibilty and set the key to grab the window to "none". Then you can use the shift-modifier in Blender for e.g. selecting multiple vertices.

Editing worked better than I expected. Though it's probably not very useable in a productive way, it's quite nice for a test.
Yes, the controlls for the Pandora Version could be adjusted, Blender uses a ton of keys and especialy the numpad-keys are missed on the Pandora (mandatory for viewpoint and camera controlls).

On the fly viewpoint movement can also be done with middle mouse button, but I'm not sure what the alternative for zoom is, because Blender usualy does this with the mouse wheel.

I also use swapped mousebutttons in (PC) blender, so select is on the left button (standard is right button).

The actual Blender Options/Settings Menu is HIDDEN, you have to grab and pull the top menu bar down to show the entire menu, I remember that I've needed some time to find this out. :D

There you also can set the lock mode, so you always move an object on the grid instead of free, usualy, this is done with ctrl but I prefer it as standard when obects are always alligned on the grid, and free move is only done with a modifier key.

So, alot can be set, when I find time to tet Blender on the Pandora, I will look for the most usable controlls settings. ^^ Only annoying thing is, that Blender never offered useful translations for the entire menu and GUI system, I guess this has not changed in all the years...

Its .. not .. fast.  And on my original #008 Pandora .. sorta .. not .. usable.  But okay, its a good start.  I guess this is one of those times when we wish we had a real GL->GLES shim layer to use .. 

New version on the repo.

Build 03 now integrate Blender v2.65a.

It is still have Software rendering, so it is slow. I looks like the GUI is much usable on the Pandora than with v2.49 (it is still on the PND). If you put the window Fullscreen (right-click on menu bar of the windows, than "Fullscreen"), it is not bad (and with a real mouse).

Oh, 2.65a already? Nice. :)  Worth to mention again, Blender 2.49b and 2.65a are actualy quite different. complete new GUI, and especialy complete new hotkeys, even for old functions. Quiet a bunch stuff to learn new if you are only used Blender up to 2.49b all the years. ^^

But for beginners, the new GUI seems to be the far better choice, much more modern and better usability. :)

EDIT: for people with slow Internet or download trouble on the Pandora, maybe it would be a nice Idea to separate the two Blender versions instead of putting them into one big pnd?

Yes, they looks very differents, look'n feel has changed in a radical way. That, plus previous comment on the dramatic changes after v2.49 made me keep the old version. So both versions are available in the same PND.

Hope they both works (slowly) well.

Back