Blog Update, Pcb Inside Case!

Soulkiller

Check out the blog for a new picture posted by Craig... Shows the Case along with all the keys and PCB inside the bottem half of the case and the LCD... most complete "real life" picture yet. Their definitly teasing us now ;)

caseingup.jpg

Meh. It looks shiny-er in the renderings. Can it come with some shoe-polish or something?

jk, it looks great!

Well since I still see an empty space on the board where it should be.... yes it looks like its still MIA

YESYESYESYES!!!! I AM EXCITED!!!!!!!!
It looks like the blog post isn't finished yet.

edit
HAHA I fell like that kid from N64 Kids ;)
Christmas all over again!

guys just let preorder us now

I have some ports lined up, and I'll start developing

"What? Atomicthumbs CODING?"

yes indeed

Zarneth said:
Such low resolution??? You're a horrid tease craigx!

So is this a rapid prototype mould or the final thing?
Chances are it's a rapid prototype casting, as DaveC posted a rendering from the actual STL/CAD file (the one that would be used for rapid prototyping) in ED's thread about the previous blog entry. The top of the case actually looks about the same as the render he posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a moment of pointless fanboyism, I blew up & tweaked the pic. It looks terrible, but does highlight some of the case details (speaker & screw holes etc).

I hope it wastes your time as much as it wasted mine. :)

[edit] Oh man, I'm one of "those guys" now. I'm going to get some sun. :lol:

Gruso said:
I blew up & tweaked the pic.
wait, you mean you can't just hit a button like csi, and have the picture appear perfectly zoomed in (but display one line at a time, making dot matrix noises?)

man that pic is like a half dressed elisha cuthbert. not enough too see much, but just enough to please the eyes.

must have preorder open soon.....repeat 10 times.

Soulkiller said:
Well since I still see an empty space on the board where it should be.... yes it looks like its still MIA
Maybe an electronics boffin can shed some light on that empty space. It seems to me that the WiFi chip will not be soldered to the PCB but must come in some external package (removable/replacable by the user?), interfaced using one of USB/SPI/SDIO, but then I don't understand the large number of pins: on top there is a double row of 2x8 pins, on the right a column of 9 pins (SDIO?), plus 5 more on the left.

In addition to hardware constraints, there is also the Linux device driver issue if this openmoko page is still valid.

Looking at that photo - all I can think is "I hope they got a pick and place machine to do the dev boards as well as production because that looks like a helluva lot of tight soldering to do by hand"

..... saying that I know somewhere along the line someone has probably had to populate several boards by hand -my hat off to the developers and their "mad skillz"

Back