Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Castlevania spiritual successor)

I really like symphony of the night, but the art direction of this new game looks really dissapointing to me :(

Yup, I don't like the art style either and I have backed way too much kickstarter stuff recently, Slain, The way, kingdom come deliverance, the bitmap brothers book, bedrooms to billions the amiga years etc, etc,

Looks like a big retread of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia specifically in a lot of ways and not just Castlevania or Metrovania style games in general(which we've seen an awful lot of over the past few years)

Castlevania games have almost always had really good soundtracks, and some of the best ones were on titles Michiru Yamada worked on, although I have no idea what her contribution was vs the other composers. Still a good sign to see her involvement.

I totally want to bid on that $3000 pledge to get one of my pets in the game but I just can't bring myself to do actually waste that kind of money :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a big retread of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia specifically in a lot of ways and not just Castlevania or Metrovania style games in general(which we've seen an awful lot of over the past few years)

Castlevania games have almost always had really good soundtracks, and some of the best ones were on titles Michiru Yamada worked on, although I have no idea what her contribution was vs the other composers. Still a good sign to see her involvement.

I totally want to bid on that $3000 pledge to get one of my pets in the game but I just can't bring myself to do actually waste that kind of money :p
3,000 is a lot for a pet. Goldfish or hamster?

Hm, not a single ingame screen, only concept art, no prototype or anything. Not very convincing at the moment. Before you start an KS campaign you should have at least something to show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the art style. It doesn't look nearly as anime-esque as CV: Dawn of Sorrow, which everyone lost their minds over too.

Hm, not a single ingame screen, only concept art, no prototype or anything. Not very convincing at the moment. Before you start an KS campaign you should have at least something to show.
They're relying on the (pretty substantial) reputation and work history of those involved. I guess none of these people are committed to doing any real work until they're assured of being paid.

I like the art style. It doesn't look nearly as anime-esque as CV: Dawn of Sorrow, which everyone lost their minds over too.

They're relying on the (pretty substantial) reputation and work history of those involved. I guess none of these people are committed to doing any real work until they're assured of being paid.
Yeah, some projects just don't even bother to do anything until the funding is in place. As stated, those involved here have a pretty good history, so most pledges are happy to pay site unseen. I'm not really a HUGE fan of these "castlevania" games, but I do love art books, and the like, so I jumped in on this. I don't own a PS4/ONE yet, but by the time this sees the light of day, I may have one, both or neither. LOL

Chris

Mighty N9 used the same trick : all renders, no actual in-game graphics. In the end the game does not really look like the renders at all either... KS is just a blank check to devs, they don't feel any obligation to deliver on what they promise. 

Well as far as i'm concerned this could be worth backing, it does interest me. Regarding the Art Style i guess they have to go with a different look to differentiate it from the existing Castlevania series and as people have already said they are just concept sketches and may not represent the final aesthetic. I'm sure as development progresses they will update with actual screenshots, but really i'm not too concerned with graphical style as long as it plays like a Castlevainia game.  I guess the question is not what they have to show at this stage but how much faith you have in the dev team and people on board with the project. If it happens its gonna be good, if it doesnt then that will be a shame but it happens to a lot of Kickstarter stuff, tbh i'm just happy people are working on games like this still as i dont really like the modern gaming scene too much. 

My problem with the KS game scene is that a lot of it looks like the pop singers from the 80s making a comeback to make some easy bucks.

"Hey, we are the makers of Megaman" -> Mighty N9

"Hey, we are the makers of Castlevania" -> this thing

"Hey, we are the makers of Wing Commander" -> Star Citizen

and so on...

Some of them will be good, but I expect most of them to be below average vs expectations, because most of these people have NOT made games in years (or if they have, they haven't made good ones in years) and they are just asking to be trusted on their reputation back when they were good. 

But hey, people age, and they often "lose it" - we see it a lot among most art forms (musicians, film makers getting lazy and less provocative and therefore less interesting) - I'm not interested in backing the old guys who think they can make a come-back. They had their time of glory and now it's gone. I'd rather have new, original ideas instead of rehashing the same thing over and over again because of everlasting nostalgia.

I'd say that these people are still good at developing for the most part and its not necessarily that they "lose it" with age, rather that the software companies they work for perhaps force them in a certain direction and as a result we are left with a game that might not be as good as previous ones in the series. With a KS project like this however the Devs can do as they please and maybe we get a game of higher quality. I wouldnt say its nostalgia that appeals but solid game mechanics and difficulty that sometimes arent present with newer games. Regarding expectatations i only expect something that plays well and can get quite punishing. New ideas are great and everything and i like to see innovation, but people with new ideas also often lack experience so perhaps they are less likely to deliver. One thing you can say about IGA is he definatly knows how it develop a Castevainia-type game - so i expect that he will, even if he doesn't implement all his ideas. so even if i dont back this (assuming it's released) i'll probably buy it.

Also, the casual gamers have somewhat ruined the video games industry. What I mean is...awesome devs of the old aren't perceived as geniuses by the flappy bird wanker gamers because said game doesn't have touch or finger swipe controls integrated in it.

Back