Bluetooth 3.0 on the Pandora ???

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
Is it possible to make the Pandora bluetooth compatible with Bluetooth 3.0 via software upgrade ?

I suppose that the hardware could have some limits, but I ask this because I have 4 devices with Bluetooth 2.0, an old phone, 2 USB dongles and a Pandora, and while all the others doesn't even see my newer phone with 3.0, the Pandora shows it in the list, with it's name... (while the newer phone sees none of them...)

With the Pandora I can also try a pairing, and it shows the code I should enter on the phone, but after a second it reports a fail, while my phone reports nothing at all...

I remember the old discussion about MasterControl, and how the bluetooth was set up to work on many devices as possible just changing some code... in that case were optimizations only for 2.0 devices, but it was interesting to see how some parameters were able to make it pair with some devices and not others...

It seems that the additions of 3.0 largely involve using ressources related to W-LAN like alternative 802.11 PHY and MAC, I doubt that's something you can simply add in via software.

I'm playing with hcitool and my total ignorance, but for now i have obtained this

Code:
$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX PowerSung
$sudo hcitool cc --role=m --ptype=DM2 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
$ sudo hcitool con
Connections:
< ACL XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX handle 1 state 7 lm MASTER

But it works only sometimes... and seems disconnecting fast

Anyway I googled a bit and I only find people just saying "Yeah 3.0 is totally compatible with 2.0" ... but my phone seems working well only with newer devices and totally ignores the 2.0...

EDIT:
just pointing something interesting that I'll have to read

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=32491

EDIT:
While using this, everytime I disconnect with CTRL+C, the phone turns on the backlight o_O

Code:
$ rfcomm connect 0 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 1
Connected /dev/rfcomm0 to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX on channel 1
Press CTRL-C for hangup
Disconnected
[doublepost=1482368177,1482364919][/doublepost]Just obtained a PIN request on the phone !!!

I did this:

1) Activated bluetooth on the Pandora
2) From the terminal I did this:
Code:
$ sudo hcitool cc XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX; sudo hcitool auth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
3) A "Bluetooth device Pairing request for PowerSung" window opened up on the Pandora
4) I inserted a PIN
5) The phone asked for a PIN and I inserted it

... then nothing more happened

EDIT:

wait... the phone has now the Pandora on the paired devices list !!! o_O

EDIT:

if I try this command in channel 5, and then disconnect, a message on the phone appears: "Connection closed"

Code:
rfcomm connect 0 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 5

Last edited:
Is it possible to make the Pandora bluetooth compatible with Bluetooth 3.0 via software upgrade ?

I suppose that the hardware could have some limits, but I ask this because I have 4 devices with Bluetooth 2.0, an old phone, 2 USB dongles and a Pandora, and while all the others doesn't even see my newer phone with 3.0, the Pandora shows it in the list, with it's name... (while the newer phone sees none of them...)

With the Pandora I can also try a pairing, and it shows the code I should enter on the phone, but after a second it reports a fail, while my phone reports nothing at all...

I remember the old discussion about MasterControl, and how the bluetooth was set up to work on many devices as possible just changing some code... in that case were optimizations only for 2.0 devices, but it was interesting to see how some parameters were able to make it pair with some devices and not others...

The only way I could commen connect my phone was with the btreceive pnd

The only way I could commen connect my phone was with the btreceive pnd

The issue in this case is that the phone can't even see the Pandora, so I cannot send a file from it...

Now, after the mess explained above, it have the Pandora in the list of paired devices, but it can't find even a service for it... so I have no options from the phone to try something...

Back