Bob Deciding To Electrify People.

Miknal

So, my Bob still seems to work, but it leaks electricity out of the usb ports and, well, any metal part of it. Is it still safe to use (it's only a mild shock if you touch it) or should I stop for now?

well, that should not happen, maybe you should just solder the usb port shieldings to a ground/- pin on the dc in.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I have neither a soldering iron, solder, or more than a vague idea about what you said ;)

I don't really mind it, I just need to know whether it's safe or not really.

Vimacs posted on Oct 11 2006 at 12:16 PM said:
Yeah should be save for the people, the question is if it is save for the chips on the bob :)

Ahh. Dammit. Would recommend just buying another then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Miknal posted on Oct 11 2006 at 01:17 PM said:
Yeah should be save for the people, the question is if it is save for the chips on the bob :)

I would say, return it, it's not your fault that it is not working properly.

aapje89 posted on Oct 12 2006 at 12:41 AM said:

As the first post states, it is working.

And it is normal for usb ports to "electrify" you. Pretty sure that they output a voltage even when nothing is connected. Just don't stick it on your tongue.

I have had small (well, they felt quite large at the time :)) static shocks when holding an aerial cable and accidentally touching my Pocket PC with my arm. I guess this is what you're getting.

doc5avage posted on Oct 11 2006 at 10:31 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Oct 12 2006 at 12:41 AM said:

As the first post states, it is working.

And it is normal for usb ports to "electrify" you. Pretty sure that they output a voltage even when nothing is connected. Just don't stick it on your tongue.
I have never been electrified by an usb port... thats not normal and requiring that you have to solder broken pieces isn't normail either.

Back