Breakout Box / Cradle Coming In Late December

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
The "naked" Breakout-Box (Developers Edition) is pretty well known to you for a while now, now I'm happy to present you a first Preview Picture of the Standard version.

cradle.jpg

The hardware hasn't changed, you have 4 USB Host Ports (for devices like Mouse, Keyboard, Harddisk, Joypad, etc.) a serial Port and a parallel Port for JTAG (so that you can unbrick your gp2x yourself in case you brick it somehow).
Additionally, the TV Out is implemented.

The Cradle is scheduled for late december.

icurafu posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:25 PM said:
EDIT: But quite pretty. Why the old cap?

That's a rendering, and that render is still from the old gp2x Prototype ;)

Last edited:
Will it have external power for the USB? I think I've read that earlier units need power to itself as well as to the USB whereas later models can have just power to the GP2X... so, how well will it work with 1st Ed. units?

EvilDragon posted on Oct 31 2006 at 11:28 AM said:

So the design isn´t final yet? Aren´t there at least prototypes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishbong posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:52 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Oct 31 2006 at 11:28 AM said:

So the design isn´t final yet? Aren´t there at least prototypes?

The design is pretty much final (except for maybe some colors) the prototype exists, but the prototype is a white mould plastic which looks ugly ;)

Last edited:
I'll definitely buy one if there is developer support behind it, as in updating emulators for multiplayer mode.

This has the potential (that will probably be screwed up :() to be fantastic

Consider, it is the perfect Myth style box. USB2 hard drive, USB2 wifi network, and you have yourself a mini opensource PVR that makes *NO* noise. No fan noise, no noise period. It can even do encoding if need be.

Not only that, but the cost! £300 or so and you have a perfect system.

Of course, this would be better if at least one of the USB ports was at the back rather than at the front where it will look a bit uglier, but that's a comparatively small thing.

You've got yourself a customer - this looks neat! Will it be powered? And if so, batteries or AC? I presume wifi is still impossible unless you have some kind of external power source.

Will my gp2x be powerd through the BoB?
Cause that would be the best thing. an Ac for the BoB so you just put your gp2x in it and power up when you get home. and then it would be plenty of time for charging your batteries... :)
and ofcourse power for our usb gadgets, plus plenty of playtime :)

Ranma13 posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:23 PM said:
I'll definitely buy one if there is developer support behind it, as in updating emulators for multiplayer mode.

Already supported in MAME and AFAIR GNGeo ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Oct 31 2006 at 03:28 PM said:
Ranma13 posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:23 PM said:

Already supported in MAME and AFAIR GNGeo ;)
for gngeo, it will be ok hopefully in the next version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back