Buddhism...

NoidZ

Mind the world, need for panic
Website
Visit site
Here's the story:

I was dating this girl 2 weeks ago and we talked about this and that and suddenly we reached the subject "religion". She said she was raised this special kind of way. She told this story about buddhism and the meaning of life and what would happen after this life. When she was finished talking, I thought "damn... this girl is right" and I found her the most magnificant person I've ever met... The way of thinking about life and the way you should react in situations etc. etc.

After this really pleasant conversation I got really interested in Buddhism and want to know more about it.. Since it didn't work out with this girl the way I wanted to cause she seems to be a very busy person and she is tired all the time, I can't talk to her about it that much <_< I asked myself, would anyone on the gp32x forum know more about Buddhism? What are your thoughts about Buddhism? Even if you're not into it, just give your opinion as long as you know what you're talking about ofcourse.

I would say, of the major religions, Buddhism is the one that that most appeals to me. The reason being that it does not separate the world from some god, but from my limited understanding of it, seeks a state of balance and unity with universe.

At the end of the day, however it is another ancient religion that in all probability has been manipulated and twisted in the retelling and has lost some of its original message. If you are going to follow a religion I would rate it up there with the best, but it might be better to learn from it and form your own understandings.

At any rate it has to be better than holding out for some dead geezer to turn up and free you from all your troubles.

:D Yes I know that. But the fact is that the people which are Buddhists (In their eyes, we all are) think 100% logical. That's why that Buddhism attracts me. They don't believe in a god, but in people and in cause-consequence.. just like life is (in my eyes) Learn from your mistakes and move on.

The girl I talked about also found that people who believe in a god don't look further than the bible. And I think exactly the same way. All my family and friends think the same way, but I know they find it kinda strange I really like the idea of Buddhism, but that has something to do with my environment I think. (may sound kinda dumb, but this is really not the best place where to grow up)

Although I never believed in anything like religion, I met some people who did from one moment to the other, only they started to believe in god (and never did before) and I find that kinda strange to be honest. But now something which is basicly the same happens to me.. and I really don't know how to handle with that. I'm not the kind of person you'd expect something like that from you know.

I never have been in such a situation (don't think much of you people have), but it's how to say... new.

That's why I want to discuss this. It's not that I'm unsure or something, but just curious about how you think about this subject.

-NoidZ-

I was in Sri Lanka, going around the Temple in Kandy. It was great, beautiful and very peaceful. There were flowers and elephants-a winning combination!

Then, our guide told us about the Rabbit in the moon. He lost us then....

But hey, if Richard Gere likes it, then why not!

NoidZ posted on Dec 10 2006 at 06:44 PM said:
Here's the story:

I was dating this girl 2 weeks ago and we talked about this and that and suddenly we reached the subject "religion". She said she was raised this special kind of way. She told this story about buddhism and the meaning of life and what would happen after this life. When she was finished talking, I thought "damn... this girl is right" and I found her the most magnificant person I've ever met... The way of thinking about life and the way you should react in situations etc. etc.

After this really pleasant conversation I got really interested in Buddhism and want to know more about it.. Since it didn't work out with this girl the way I wanted to cause she seems to be a very busy person and she is tired all the time, I can't talk to her about it that much <_< I asked myself, would anyone on the gp32x forum know more about Buddhism? What are your thoughts about Buddhism? Even if you're not into it, just give your opinion as long as you know what you're talking about ofcourse.
Buddhists don't believe in material possession, so you would have to dump your Gamepark portables. Also they don't believe in God, they believe in the Buddha, who learnt all knoledge and ascended to a higher plane of existence where he is, knows and controls everything.

BUT, is in no way a God :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on Dec 10 2006 at 10:47 PM said:
Buddhists don't believe in material possession, so you would have to dump your Gamepark portables. Also they don't believe in God, they believe in the Buddha, who learnt all knoledge and ascended to a higher plane of existence where he is, knows and controls everything.

Where on earth did you gather that misinformation from ? I have never seen it stated that Buddha controls anything or that material possessions are forbidden. It merely advises that attachment to transient worldly things is not the way forward. I don't think that means it is bad to possess a handheld - it just means don't be so obsessed with it that it lends meaning to your existence.

Buddha, he say - don't be a fanboy.

almost every major religion has the notion of preserving life after death, and the grand prize it represents. (paradise,elysium,etc)

buddhism,s ultimate goal is to obliterate the "self" (nirvana) so when you die and you win the grand prize, you stop existing youre uhh finito,kaputt,nomore and thus freed from the cycle of rebirth nothingness is the way to go for the hardcore buddhist

i love buddhism btw ;)

evol posted on Dec 10 2006 at 11:27 PM said:
almost every major religion has the notion of preserving life after death, and the grand prize it represents. (paradise,elysium,etc)

buddhism,s ultimate goal is to obliterate the "self" (nirvana) so when you die and you win the grand prize, you stop existing youre uhh finito,kaputt,nomore and thus freed from the cycle of rebirth nothingness is the way to go for the hardcore buddhist

i love buddhism btw ;)
Any being who has reached Nirvana is not blotted out or extinguished. There is the extinction of the impermanent and suffering-prone, GP2X loving, "worldly self" or ego, but not of the immortal "supramundane" Self of the indwelling Buddha Principle.

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 10 2006 at 11:25 PM said:

Where on earth did you gather that misinformation from ? I have never seen it stated that Buddha controls anything or that material possessions are forbidden. It merely advises that attachment to transient worldly things is not the way forward. I don't think that means it is bad to possess a handheld - it just means don't be so obsessed with it that it lends meaning to your existence.

Well, real buddhists live in a monestary where they cannot even grow their own food, they have to be willingly given it by others without asking.

sam fisher posted on Dec 11 2006 at 12:07 AM said:
Well, real buddhists live in a monestary where they cannot even grow their own food, they have to be willingly given it by others without asking.
So, does that mean that the only real christians are the christian monks who live in monastries ? Obviously not so.

The buddhist monks are providing a service to lay buddhists by accepting alms. Someone offering food gains merit and recieves a blessing in return. It is an opportunity for the giver to follow the way of the EightFold Path, leading to enlightenment.

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 11 2006 at 01:01 AM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 11 2006 at 12:07 AM said:
So, does that mean that the only real christians are the christian monks who live in monastries ? Obviously not so.

The buddhist monks are providing a service to lay buddhists by accepting alms. Someone offering food gains merit and recieves a blessing in return. It is an opportunity for the giver to follow the way of the EightFold Path, leading to enlightenment.
The expert on Buddhism has the nickname "Fawny_Kate", go figure :rolleyes:

sam fisher posted on Dec 11 2006 at 01:43 AM said:
Who did you think is responsible for the high population in South Asia ? Not the Seventh Day Adventists. :)

But we are straying from the much needed spiritual discussion that will help NoidZ to see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, to hold infinity in the palm of his hand and experience eternity in an hour.

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 11 2006 at 02:15 AM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 11 2006 at 01:43 AM said:
Who did you think is responsible for the high population in South Asia ? Not the Seventh Day Adventists. :)

But we are straying from the much needed spiritual discussion that will help NoidZ to see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, to hold infinity in the palm of his hand and experience eternity in an hour.
I'm allowed an opinion, right? My opinion? Bollocks.

evol posted on Dec 10 2006 at 11:27 PM said:

surely if no 1 belived in "life after death" (in many forms) then the world would be in mass hysteria.

----------------------------------------

I am my own Religion and in my world I am god.

I do what i want ill wear what I like. I may conform to society rules if they suit me (like paying airfare for a holiday :p ) Or I may break them (download mp3's, being grammatically correct in forums, etc).

I know my strengths and weaknesses I acknowledge my own existence, ergo I am real.

Being as powefull as i am though I cannot answer the question: Why do hot dog sausages come in packs of 10 and hot dog buns come in packs of only 8 :rolleyes:

True enlightment is belief in ones true self.

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 11 2006 at 12:25 AM said:

Nah he could be right.. There are multiple kinds of Buddhism you know. I'm talking about the "Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo" one. You know what I'm saying ;)

This is a great video about the origins of the earth from a Buddhist perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQTTq0dFT4

Back