Buddhism...

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 11 2006 at 01:06 AM said:
evol posted on Dec 10 2006 at 11:27 PM said:
almost every major religion has the notion of preserving life after death, and the grand prize it represents. (paradise,elysium,etc)

buddhism,s ultimate goal is to obliterate the "self" (nirvana) so when you die and you win the grand prize, you stop existing youre uhh finito,kaputt,nomore and thus freed from the cycle of rebirth nothingness is the way to go for the hardcore buddhist

i love buddhism btw ;)
Any being who has reached Nirvana is not blotted out or extinguished. There is the extinction of the impermanent and suffering-prone, GP2X loving, "worldly self" or ego, but not of the immortal "supramundane" Self of the indwelling Buddha Principle.

that is opinion not fact (nothing is definitive in a religion as its not built on fact)

my opinion is that you dont exist anymore when you reach nirvana and thus is freed from all sorts of consciousness

Last edited by a moderator:
Iorgy77 posted on Dec 11 2006 at 05:37 PM said:
This is a great video about the origins of the earth from a Buddhist perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQTTq0dFT4

lol good one

sam fisher posted on Dec 11 2006 at 02:43 AM said:
The expert on Buddhism has the nickname "Fawny_Kate", go figure :rolleyes:

That's right. When you're out of arguments, start offending. :)

clarky2o2o posted on Dec 11 2006 at 03:19 AM said:
surely if no 1 belived in "life after death" (in many forms) then the world would be in mass hysteria.
From my observations it appears the hysterical ones are those who do believe in an afterlife.
NoidZ posted on Dec 11 2006 at 06:51 AM said:
Nah he could be right.. There are multiple kinds of Buddhism you know. I'm talking about the "Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo" one. You know what I'm saying ;)
I was under the impression that 'Nam-myoho-renge-kyo' was a chant that supposedly brings enlightenment to the chanter. I do not believe its practice originated from the first buddha so it could be considered as a sect.

It seems improbable to me that in a country like Cambodia with an estimated 93% buddhist population, only 7% of the people are allowed to own a fishing net or a plough.
evol posted on Dec 11 2006 at 08:02 AM said:
Fawny Kate posted on Dec 11 2006 at 01:06 AM said:
Any being who has reached Nirvana is not blotted out or extinguished. There is the extinction of the impermanent and suffering-prone, GP2X loving, "worldly self" or ego, but not of the immortal "supramundane" Self of the indwelling Buddha Principle.

that is opinion not fact (nothing is definitive in a religion as its not built on fact)

my opinion is that you dont exist anymore when you reach nirvana and thus is freed from all sorts of consciousness
Within a discussion of buddhism, as an alleged teaching of the first buddha, it is a 'fact' of buddhism.

If you consider your essence to consist only of the conscious ego then what you say is true - but you may be missing the whole point.

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 11 2006 at 12:48 PM said:
I was under the impression that 'Nam-myoho-renge-kyo' was a chant that supposedly brings enlightenment to the chanter. I do not believe its practice originated from the first buddha so it could be considered as a sect.

I bought this other book (which turned out to be about mantra's and mudra's) but this was based on meditation only and this was absolutely not what I was looking for. In fact, the girl told me this was the "wrong" type of Buddhism and that the one she talked about was the Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo one. She told me, it was ok to study the book about the meditation stuff, be she also said this was probably another god-based typ of Buddhism..

I just receiced a little book from her about the SGI. I'm gonna read this on the way home. If I read it, maybe I get another look at this subject. We'll see...

Ok, I read the book. It was all about the SGI en what they do and have done. That buddhism I mean is based on Nichiren Daishonin buddhism.

-NoidZ-

NoidZ posted on Dec 11 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
Ok, I read the book. It was all about the SGI en what they do and have done. That buddhism I mean is based on Nichiren Daishonin buddhism.

-NoidZ-
If you really cannot find any books about this subject, then you can look into other religions:

Christianity(several denominations)
Islam(several denominations, takes more religious restrictions)
Judaism(not sure)
Confucianism(not sure)
Hinduism(although I am not sure about the "caste" system)
I am sorry for not knowing more religions....ism :p

I'd just like to say that Buddhism is the one religion I hate the least, mostly because nearly all of it is scientifically verifiable and very beneficial to a person. Among other things it teaches respect towards and tolerance of others, without discrimination pertaining to who they are, where they're from or what they do, two very important principles. Other religions... well, let's say they have their bad days. Oh, and I really hate the Catholic church, but that's another story.

Oh, I'm hedonist, myself, then nihilist on whatever applies to the term after its contradictions with hedonism are removed. But only because I can't think of a better word for belief in ultimate pointlessness.

nickspoon posted on Dec 11 2006 at 06:13 PM said:
I'd just like to say that Buddhism is the one religion I hate the least, mostly because nearly all of it is scientifically verifiable and very beneficial to a person. Among other things it teaches respect towards and tolerance of others, without discrimination pertaining to who they are, where they're from or what they do, two very important principles. Other religions... well, let's say they have their bad days. Oh, and I really hate the Catholic church, but that's another story.

Maybe your next step will be: no religion at all. Sure, there are teachers. But teachers are only a starting step. We have to decide for ourselves what is right and what is wrong. And the basis for those assertions. And the justifications for those bases, and so on.

nickspoon posted on Dec 11 2006 at 06:13 PM said:
Oh, I'm hedonist, myself, then nihilist on whatever applies to the term after its contradictions with hedonism are removed. But only because I can't think of a better word for belief in ultimate pointlessness.

Despair? If we recognize that life was formed through a series of events that are to some extent random, then that leaves us with a concern for the purpose of our lives... a meaning. Luckily, we are able to define this for ourselves. Your reality is defined by your perspective. That's all we have, that's all we'll ever have.

I'd actually say Buddhism is probably one of my least favourite religions. Buddhists in general are almost as hypocritical as the catholic church, and their method of conversion is annoying as hell. "I am amazing because I'm practically suicidal... be like me and give away your stuff..."

saehn posted on Dec 12 2006 at 04:26 AM said:
Maybe your next step will be: no religion at all. Sure, there are teachers. But teachers are only a starting step. We have to decide for ourselves what is right and what is wrong. And the basis for those assertions. And the justifications for those bases, and so on.
I'm not religious. I just like Buddhism, unlike practically every other religion. Especially Christianity.

Despair? If we recognize that life was formed through a series of events that are to some extent random, then that leaves us with a concern for the purpose of our lives... a meaning. Luckily, we are able to define this for ourselves. Your reality is defined by your perspective. That's all we have, that's all we'll ever have.
Oh, of course, being hedonist means I believe that my purpose in life is to enjoy it as much as possible. However, there isn't some will, some ultimate purpose that I have to fulfil, a place in history I must gain in order to reach some kind of salvation - in the end I'll die, eventually I'll be forgotten, and anything I ever did will be destroyed. OK, it's depressing, but I prefer it to hiding under a veil of some divine falsity just to comfort myself. I'm perfectly happy believing in pointlessness.

nickspoon posted on Dec 12 2006 at 02:23 PM said:
I'm not religious. I just like Buddhism, unlike practically every other religion. Especially Christianity.

I think I understand you. I can more or less accept the non-superstitous versions of Buddhism, but's it still someone else's pre-defined path/philosophy.

Oh, of course, being hedonist means I believe that my purpose in life is to enjoy it as much as possible. However, there isn't some will, some ultimate purpose that I have to fulfil, a place in history I must gain in order to reach some kind of salvation - in the end I'll die, eventually I'll be forgotten, and anything I ever did will be destroyed. OK, it's depressing, but I prefer it to hiding under a veil of some divine falsity just to comfort myself. I'm perfectly happy believing in pointlessness.

Again, I think I understand you. :) I see things similarly, but I've accepted it and am no longer depressed by it. I just make the most of it. As I quoted earlier, I firmly believe that "my perspective defines my reality". Thanks, Frank Herbert.

Edit: typo

NoidZ posted on Dec 11 2006 at 04:29 PM said:
Nichiren Daishonin buddhism does not appear to be a religion, it's a way of life, in order to create world peace.. :ph34r:
If you don't want to follow a religion, then why follow a "way of life"? Just follow your way then... ;)

OMars posted on Dec 12 2006 at 06:03 PM said:
NoidZ posted on Dec 11 2006 at 04:29 PM said:
Nichiren Daishonin buddhism does not appear to be a religion, it's a way of life, in order to create world peace.. :ph34r:
If you don't want to follow a religion, then why follow a "way of life"? Just follow your way then... ;)

Way ahead of you...

I am a Zen buddhist from the school of rinzai.

the best place to go,discuss and learn is here -

www.E-sangha.com.

peace

WTBGP32man posted on Dec 13 2006 at 05:33 AM said:
I am a Zen buddhist from the school of rinzai.

Aren't we all?

Back