Bugs and Calculations

Hi,

Long time lurker here. I'm just wondering roughly how much the pre-order cost will be? I read somewhere that ED will take pre-order money and let us pay the difference when we can, I've put my money in the GPD WIN but the Pyra is still a must, to keep my pandora company...as I say, I want to support the project by pre-ordering. Prototype looks great BTW.

is there a poll for voting for 4G us/eu or 3g?

I'm voting 4G.

my US moto g 3 doesn't support my current phone providers 4G so it falls back to 3G and it's working fine.
(I'm in japan, on y-mobile at the moment but if I understood it correctly au should support the 4G band of my phone, I'm just too lazy to switch lol)

Long time lurker here. I'm just wondering roughly how much the pre-order cost will be? I read somewhere that ED will take pre-order money and let us pay the difference when we can, I've put my money in the GPD WIN but the Pyra is still a must, to keep my pandora company...as I say, I want to support the project by pre-ordering. Prototype looks great BTW.

Welcome! IIRC, it will be the same as the pre-preorder amount, 290 euros. You'd pay the difference when the units are ready to ship.

I will create a video with all the important information as well as an updated website.
And I will provide flyers, etc. for free if you want to promote it, no worries about that.

I am preparing, and I'm sure there are enough users out there who would be interested if they only knew about it!

Once that video and website is done, I'll actively contact all news websites as well.

About the Preorder: The downpayment will probably be 290 EUR, so same as the Pre-Pre-Order, to keep things simple.

Reactions: rSl
@EvilDragon: i would like to get some Pyra Flyers in the Shippingbox whit my Pyra Handheld :)
I cant guaranty to get some new customers, as the peaple in my envroiment arent that interestet in Gaming or Retrogaming, but they should be cool for my shelf of interesting handhelds..
Looking forward for the video

I will create a video with all the important information as well as an updated website.
And I will provide flyers, etc. for free if you want to promote it, no worries about that.

I am preparing, and I'm sure there are enough users out there who would be interested if they only knew about it!

Maybe the guys at the Computerspiele Museum Berlin can be persuaded to host a few fliers. It's the hub for nostalgia and retro gamers after all.
I can reach it easily, if it's any help. The people working there were always very nice and if you tell them, they can put a C64, an Amiga, a Dos-PC etc... in their pockets, they'd probably think it's quite awesome.

@EvilDragon

There is a reasonably popular YouTube channel called Computerphile that you may want to contact. Their videos cover a wide spectrum within Computer Science, including the history of Bell Labs, the halting problem, buffer overflow attacks, the difference between a CPU and a GPU and the history of ARM and RISC. I imagine that they would be quite happy to interview you (as an "amateur") about the Pandora, the Pyra and the details of making a mobile device etc. -- that is, stuff similar to what you have told this community already, but in a condensed form of 10-30 minutes. You should expect to get between 50 000 and 100 000 views in 2 to 3 weeks so... I have no idea how many would "convert", but perhaps a thousand may go to your website and a hundred would order a Pyra?

If you take a downpayment and then can't get enough 4G orders to justify it, can we get a refund, or is the downpayment a two-way guarantee?

If you take a downpayment and then can't get enough 4G orders to justify it, can we get a refund, or is the downpayment a two-way guarantee?
If 4G can be tested/shown working, those orders may jump.

Once that video and website is done, I'll actively contact all news websites as well.
Don't forget to mention the option to have a full Linux Desktop via the (future) docking station. Oh and I would be lucky to help doing a prototype docking station for that.
I guess hackaday is on your radar to tip?

Don't forget to mention the option to have a full Linux Desktop via the (future) docking station. Oh and I would be lucky to help doing a prototype docking station for that.
I guess hackaday is on your radar to tip?
Why would you need a docking station for that? It'd surely be nice and useful, but I don't see any vital connections missing that needed to be added via a dock.

1. comfort: just snap the Pyra in (instead of several plugs. USB, HDMI, Power; USB-Hub for keyboard and mouse)
2. SATA (needs some extra components outside the Pyra
3. wired Network
At least when aiming for the Desktop use, which could perhaps gain some customers, too. since now there is no device that open in hard- and software of that size. And can substitude the use of a Notebook/Laptop.

For now I reckon it's best to focus on what it can do without having to add hardware that doesn't exist. If the Pyra succeeds well enough that ED can afford to go ahead with making a dock for it, then he start advertising the capabilities of both units together, but not before.

-Neelix

Could also work the other way around. Advertise the desktop/laptop use without the dock and claim it as future add-on, which is planed anyway, IIRC.

I may be a bit of a problem doing this, but I plan to wait until at least the second batch. I'd like to wait for the first-release bugs in the hardware to be found and worked out (There's bound to be some). I'm fine with waiting on software updates, but I like my hardware to work properly first time, mostly because I'm not good at diagnosing hardware bugs.
This sounds harsh to me, and I'm sorry for that, but this is what I think.
Will it be possible to preorder, and then redeem it for when the second batch is ready? Would that work?

This sounds harsh to me, and I'm sorry for that, but this is what I think.
That's completely understandable, don't be sorry.

Will it be possible to preorder, and then redeem it for when the second batch is ready? Would that work?
If I remember ED's plan correctly, if there are enough pre-orders in the first batch then the second batch will just be made and available for direct sale, no need to pre-order.
The only problem with waiting is that if enough people do decided to wait for the second batch there may not be enough orders to make even a first batch, downpayment or not.

Back