Bugs and Calculations

@rygD the big problem lies in the MOQ.... With a splitting up like that.

IIRC he hasn't confirmed he can mix and match

of course, i figured europe (and other countries using the same modem) would meet the 4G MOQ, i was just worried about the MOQ for US stuff. but 500 doesn't seem like too high of a goal.

would ED be happy to have 3 pyra versions? i'm fine with the "global 3G" option here in the US, but maybe i'm not forward thinking enough...

I guess we have to wait for preorders to start to see what happens.
Or direct contact via email for the 200 with pre pre orders & an official poll here from ED asking if people would want to pay the necessary price for the option of 3G / 4G. I can understand why it would appeal to some but my gut feel is that it would make a lot less sense in terms of demand / financial impact / customer support / manufacturing costs / driver & software support when compared to offering a premium unit with 4GB Ram & 64GB eMMC......

However it is appreciated that every sensible effort should be made to implement a promised feature.....

Just so you know the cellular discussion got split.
Gak - a note in the thread it was split from (this one) would have been helpful. I'm going to copy the content of my above message to there - please respond there and not on this thread.

While I would want 4G and am prepared to pay for it myself, I don't think the overhead on 3G is worth the difference.

Because you can get a lot of eMMC and ram for it, and that has an impact on what you do all the time.

I wont use the speed upgrade on 4G for anything meaningful, and I probably wont get a data-contract that can support a great deal anyway.

Does 4G use less or more power than 3G for just staying on IRC-ing?

I don't want any cellular, and will happily give it up for more RAM/eMMC :D

1500 preorders: it isn't impossible but it isn't easy.

GDP Win, a $299 USD device (if bought in preorder), has now 1223 preorders when it takes 13 days to finish campaign.

But, who likes easy challenges? :)

PD: I would be very glad if Pyra can reach 1500 preorders in 1st batch.

So 1500 are needed to make it so that second batch doesnt need pre orders.
How much pre orders are needed to ensure the device will be produced?

Lets say that in word case scenario, only 500 people pre order, will the device still be produced?

So 1500 are needed to make it so that second batch doesnt need pre orders.
How much pre orders are needed to ensure the device will be produced?

Lets say that in word case scenario, only 500 people pre order, will the device still be produced?
Yes, 500 would be enough to start the production.

Not realy: these 200 Pree Pree Orders, thery are all entusiasts, who are easy customers, but to get the remaining 300 Customers, will be a bit tougher..
I realy hope whe get 1500 Orders in total..

i'm sure we'll all spread the word when the pre-orders start :). and we'll get some good press, i think.

Does 4G use less or more power than 3G for just staying on IRC-ing?

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer to this. From random search results it seems that the 4G state machine is simpler and will spend more time in the high power state when the link is active, so sending a small package every couple of seconds will keep it continously in the high power state and drain battery faster than 3G that will remain in its medium power state (that doesn't exist on 4G). OTOH downloading a large file will use less power on 4G than on 3G, because it will stay in the high power state for a much shorter time (assuming good connectivity). Power consumption while idling seems to be comparable.

Yeah, i'm wondering how I could assist in spreading word about the Pyra and contribute in some small way to Ed getting those additional 1,300 Pre-orders.

Back