Bugs and Calculations

Pandora and Pyra always have been about versatility over speed/specs, so 3G would be the logical choice from what I've gathered if the 4G chip isn't also able to make use of 3G, which seems to be the big question atm.

Pandora and Pyra always have been about versatility over speed/specs, so 3G would be the logical choice from what I've gathered if the 4G chip isn't also able to make use of 3G, which seems to be the big question atm.
This is not a question. The 4G chips do of course work in 3G and 2G.

What's all this fuss about then?
The fuss is about the US requiring special frequencies supported by a different chip and fears that the US market is not big enough to reach minimum order quantity of this special chip.

The fuss is about the US requiring special frequencies supported by a different chip and fears that the US market is not big enough to reach minimum order quantity of this special chip.
Well, if the US wants to keep its own standard (again), they'll have to make do with 3G on the 4G chip then. No biggie.
I'm not sure either if the US can come up with enough people buying a Pyra. Are there any numbers of Pandoras around per continent?

Well, if the US wants to keep its own standard (again), they'll have to make do with 3G on the 4G chip then. No biggie.
I'm not sure either if the US can come up with enough people buying a Pyra. Are there any numbers of Pandoras around per continent?
The problem is that US frequencies for 2G and 3G are also different from the rest of the world...
And some operators where using CDMA2000 without SIMs :D Although I think that era is coming to an end.
The 4G ("E" version) chip is almost unusable in the US, meaning unusable even on 2G and 3G. As I said before, only Sprint on LTE800 might work. For data only, no circuit voice & SMS.

Not with CDMA so two of the 4 top cellular providers in the US are automatically out unless the 5 band 3Gchip is used.
Are you talking about CDMA2000/EVDO or WCDMA ? These are different networks. I don't think the 5-band chip supports CDMA2000/EVDO at all.

Edit: if you're talking about PDS8
http://www.gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/M2M_PDS8_datasheet.pdf
This supports only WCDMA at 7.2Mbps.
You can forget about CMDA even with this chip.

Checked PHS8 as well;
http://www.gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/M2M_PHS8_datasheet.pdf
WCDMA at 14.4Mbps, still no CDMA support.

I don't believe any CDMA operator would register your Pyra anyway. You need an operator supporting uSIMs and GSM/WCDMA/LTE network.

Finally checked PXS8:
http://www.gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/M2M_PXS8_datasheet.pdf
This one supports CDMA2000. I still couldn't understand why you would prefer this one VS the US LTE module. CDMA2000 is a tech of the past, not easy to switch operators, only used in the US. This has to die.

Last edited:
Even if MOQ for the US-Version of the modem is not met in the preorder, I think it is reasonable to assume that there would be enough customers within a year or something. Link could then set up a board swapping service for US customers, possibly cheaper than every US customer paying for several chips. Obvious downside is that it will not be usable right away.

@ED To add the 3g/4g chip, do you need to make it through the factory, or you can do it by yourself?

If you are able to do it later by yourself without extra cost for you, maybe the most interesting thing to do in first place is to sell the Pyra without any chip, you can start with only one price and not problems with who wants what. You would be able to sell the module later and add it when the customer ship you back the Pyra.

It would give you more time, let you do the mass production and maybe let you find an other deal to buy the 4g chip.

Last edited:
Hm, the problem was only with the 4G module?
Maybe we should switch back to 3G for the first batch (it'll be 20 - 25 EUR cheaper as well)

And now without 3 options: no-GSM, 4G-EU, 4G-US, there is another one: a 3G.
So I'm afraid that now the amount of preorders needed to break even has increased a bit.

3G is enough for me, so I'll be glad to be able to pay less for what suits my needs.

Oh man these chips are a headache. Think at this point I'm leaning towards a wifi version
and USB tethering / WiFi hotspot :|

Oh man these chips are a headache. Think at this point I'm leaning towards a wifi version
I'm wondering myself. I'll be waiting for the options available and decide. In my case I think if LTE-EU is available for up to 80€ extra I will choose it, otherwise (more expensive or 3G only), I'll probably get the wifi only version and keep a phone.
The thing is I'll eventually need a phone anyway for the camera, so I might just be better off with the smallest simplest phone (like 4 inches) with a decent camera, LTE and the best battery life possible.

Even if MOQ for the US-Version of the modem is not met in the preorder, I think it is reasonable to assume that there would be enough customers within a year or something. Link could then set up a board swapping service for US customers, possibly cheaper than every US customer paying for several chips. Obvious downside is that it will not be usable right away.

That's why I am saying if you get the 3G chip, there are two versions period. The wifi and the 3G. MOQ is no issue because everyone is ordering the same (EU and US. It will work for all providers, and it keeps the cost down. Really is kind of a no brainer.

I have no use for LTE, my plan is 3/3.5G only, it doesn't support WCDMA, and I travel to Europe quite often....So I might as well not get mobile data since I absolutely wont be able to use it.

This will be a big issue. People will buy it thinking it will work on all carriers (I just had to see if it would be compatible on my own). But the 4G chipset won't work on Verizon or Sprint.

The 3G chipset should just work on all providers since it has wcdma support.

So in providing 4G, sprint and Verizon customers will either buy one thinking it will work when it won't... or they will buy a base model since that modem will be useless on their network.

The most support for all providers is the 3G world version.

But trying to offer something that will work on other networks doesn't mean that those companies will allow it. Do we have anything other than a "maybe" from Sprint and Verizon? I also thought that trying to use it with CDMA only worked with 4G. Can you get SIM cards for 3G devices from those companies? Just because you have the capability doesn't mean that you can actually use it.

Also, all the stuff that @benoitb said.

MOQ is no issue because everyone is ordering the same (EU and US. It will work for all providers, and it keeps the cost down. Really is kind of a no brainer.
I am pretty sure it won't work for all providers. See above. US GSM companies are probably the only ones that might be possible.

We have had these discussions in the past, so it might help to do a search so that everyone isn't trying to figure out the same things again.

But trying to offer something that will work on other networks doesn't mean that those companies will allow it. Do we have anything other than a "maybe" from Sprint and Verizon? I also thought that trying to use it with CDMA only worked with 4G. Can you get SIM cards for 3G devices from those companies? Just because you have the capability doesn't mean that you can actually use it.

Also, all the stuff that @benoitb said.

I am pretty sure it won't work for all providers. See above. US GSM companies are probably the only ones that might be possible.

We have had these discussions in the past, so it might help to do a search so that everyone isn't trying to figure out the same things again.

You absolutely get sim cards for Sprint and Verizon, and of course they are going to say "it may or may not work" even GSM companies will feed you that line of shit.

I have had world wide 3G phones for years now, have swapped carriers and never had any issues.

And they will allow you to use this weird little device they have never heard of on their network?

Back