Bugs and Calculations

Yep. I would like to use Cricket as well.

But between PLS8-US, PLS8-E, and PHS8-E, the only option for US support I can see is to use the PLS8-US.
There is no PHS8-E, it's just PHS8 and it's worldband.
[doublepost=1460402227,1460402102][/doublepost]
Here's another +1 for a US 4G module being necessary, but I'll go one step further: what if, at least for the first batch, there were a way for people who want 4G to donate or pay a higher price to defray the cost of meeting MOQ? I couldn't afford four Pyras, but I'd be willing to pay for two or four or ten 4G modules if that's what it takes to get to MOQ for US 4G - I'm *dying* to dispense with my Android and just carry an actual proper pocket computer around.

Who else is in?
That's not a bad idea either. Although ten of them would cost a lot!

I must be looking at the wrong data sheet then. From this: http://www.gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/M2M_PHS8_datasheet.pdf

> PHS8-P / PHS8-J / PHS8-K: Five Bands UMTS/HSPA+
(WCDMA/FDD) (850/800, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz),
Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
> PHS8-US / PHS8-USA:
Dual Band UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 1900 MHz),
Dual-Band GSM (850/1900 MHz)
> PHS8-E: Dual Band UMTS/HSPA+ (900/2100 MHz),
Dual-Band GSM (900/1800 MHz)
> UMTS / HSPA+, 3GPP release 6 / 7
> Rx-Diversity with Equalizer (Type 3i)
> Enhanced F-DPCH, DTX, DRX, SCH-IC

Maybe that is the top one? The PHS8-P / PHS8-J / PHS8-K ?

EDIT: That one does in fact seem to include all the bands from the PLS8-E and PLS8-US, so maybe that would be the most global option.

my dataplan is only 300 mb, and when i reach the 300 mb i only get 2G Speed until the end of the month..
Wow, you're lucky! Over here if you go over your data plan budget, they start taking money off you immediately (often at stupid rates).

Ideally I'd like a full spec 4g Pyra but if if it's not possible I'll settle for wi-fi only.

The GSM module also includes GPS and possibly some other goodies I forget. I'm planning to buy a GSM+wifi model, but probably won't get a SIM for it at least to begin with.

As per the spec sheets:
  • 3G modem is limited at 14.4Mbps on HSDPA
  • 4G modem is limited at 100Mbps on LTE and 42Mbps on HSDPA+ (so even on 3G-only networks and countries it could/should be faster)

So in common parlance, the 3G module only supports up to 3.5G, while the 4G module supports up to 3.75G on the 3G bands?

woohoo, preorder-time ahead soon! perfectly timed for my birthday! :)
as i only use tor these days for comm (not for streaming video of course) any laggy mobile connection would be ok for me, i guess. ;)

Here's another +1 for a US 4G module being necessary, but I'll go one step further: what if, at least for the first batch, there were a way for people who want 4G to donate or pay a higher price to defray the cost of meeting MOQ? I couldn't afford four Pyras, but I'd be willing to pay for two or four or ten 4G modules if that's what it takes to get to MOQ for US 4G - I'm *dying* to dispense with my Android and just carry an actual proper pocket computer around.

Who else is in?
Well, the MOQ is 500, the price per module 80 EUR.
So if only 100 need one, the additional money I would need to charge per unit would be 320 EUR...

I know a bunch of people are going to jump on me for this but IMO there should ONLY be a 3G version

Reasons
MOQ is no issue
No swapping of parts in the run (us/e)
Price is cheaper
Higher likelihood of enough orders to be feasible
Usable world wide

Downsides
It is not quite as fast... but you still have up to 14mbps mobile data.

There is no way i can see to make it work aside from this, and I would rather have it then not.

Once all that's done, the preorders will start. Yes, really
Are there any ways the community here can help with the pre order process / crowd funding process?

Such as :

Translation to French, Spanish, Japanese & proof reading of English for the relevant Pyra web pages.
Helping anticipate & compile answers for what are likely to be frequently asked questions by potential backers who might not have closely followed the project.
Suggesting good sites to publicise the Pyra.
Helping with publicity on such sites.

Or anything else you can think of?

Cant there be a public "tell us what you want"-vote.?

That way its easy to see what the demand is.
All options along with ballpark figures for what they cost.

Edit: Perhaps also add to that the MOQ, and then live commentary on how it looks.
Dude, this is a BRILLIANT idea!

I think it's a good idea, but only if ED can't make the 4G mix and match MOQ work.

Well there are frequency issues with 4G working will all providers right? So the 4G will only work/benefit some and people are less likely to buy a the more expensive version for something that "might," work with their provider.

Well there are frequency issues with 4G working will all providers right? So the 4G will only work/benefit some and people are less likely to buy a the more expensive version for something that "might," work with their provider.
Not quite. The US 4G chip will work with all GSM enabled US carriers that actually allow it. Cricket already told me they would. I even showed them my Pandora and explained.

The EU chip should work with any GSM EU carrier.

Not quite. The US 4G chip will work with all GSM enabled US carriers that actually allow it. Cricket already told me they would. I even showed them my Pandora and explained.

The EU chip should work with any GSM EU carrier.

This will be a big issue. People will buy it thinking it will work on all carriers (I just had to see if it would be compatible on my own). But the 4G chipset won't work on Verizon or Sprint.

The 3G chipset should just work on all providers since it has wcdma support.

So in providing 4G, sprint and Verizon customers will either buy one thinking it will work when it won't... or they will buy a base model since that modem will be useless on their network.

The most support for all providers is the 3G world version.

Last edited:
Back