Bugs and Calculations

That's a good question - it supports 3G, yes. So the EU 4G module should still be usable with 4G in the US.

That's great, actually my current plan allows me unlimited call, sms from almost everywhere in the world, plus 3GB of data 35 days in a year.

Be sure that I will pay for the 4g version for my pre-pre-order!

3G is unreliable, slow and patchy. It works in some locations and not at all in others. I'd rather just wi-fi than 3g, it's not worth the extra cost imo.
Ideally I'd like a full spec 4g Pyra but if if it's not possible I'll settle for wi-fi only.

It looks like you really don't have any GSM900 operator in the US :(
However, it looks like you have Sprint on LTE800. It seems to be their only low frequency for LTE, which could be good news since it might mean they are relying heavily on it for 4G coverage. However, I think the Pyra module doesn't do VoLTE (4G voice over IP), meaning for phone calls we're likely to do a CSFB (circuit switch fall back). This requires 2G or 3G access to establish a voice call. This won't be possible with Sprint's GSM and WCDMA frequencies.

And having traveled quite a bit, I can tell you the PLS8-E will be usable in almost all of Europe, Africa, Asia. It really is the "most-worldwide" option for LTE.
Sprint doesn't use standard SIM chips in there phones and does not sell them for other phones/tabless so even the pyra with a US chip will be unusable with Sprint.

Edit that information is 3 years old so they may have changed.

Last edited:
Well dammit, I was planning on eventually not needing a separate phone.

Might you be able to get less than 500 US chips if you get them from a reputable reseller? Maybe mouser electronics or some other place might have them. I am willing to pay extra for that if need be.
[doublepost=1460385894,1460383583][/doublepost]http://yawid.de/wireless_modules/pls8-us/ Maybe these people will sell them in smaller amounts. It may be that the US units will just have to cost more due to lower volume.

I also am a supporter of the 4G US and EU options if possible. So far, all the world-wide 3G sticks that I have used have reverted to GSM speeds due to unsupported 3G frequencies by US carriers.

You know, there's also a PLS8-X and PLS8-V, are those suitable for all regions? I don't understand the difference.

Hmm since 3G is cheap, could you put that in the base model and 4G in the upper end model, and use the combined 3G +4G chip purchase to meet your minimum chip purchase?

(this may be completely ridiculous)

I'll start this post by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about, all this is from the spec sheets...

Will the 4G us version only have us 3g too?
As per the spec sheet, yes.

What exactly is the difference in speed between 3G and 4G?
Does it make any difference in browsing and sending/receiving eMail?
As per the spec sheets:
  • 3G modem is limited at 14.4Mbps on HSDPA
  • 4G modem is limited at 100Mbps on LTE and 42Mbps on HSDPA+ (so even on 3G-only networks and countries it could/should be faster)
Anything is fast enough for email, without heavy attachments 2G too ;)

But for everything web related (specially gaming, remote control, VOIP and web-browsing) you'll want the lower latency from LTE:
Indeed, the round-trip-time (RTT) is much improved on LTE. For such a device, it makes a lot of sense to use LTE.

If he did do it only the first batch would be 3G. Does the EU 4G one support US voice only networks?
As per the spec sheets:
  • On 2G it's actually the other way round, the US version supports the EU bands but not he other way around. That is, the US modem should work on 2G networks worldwide, the EU modem will work everywhere except US and Canada (all other American countries should work according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_f...ing_between_GSM_900.2F1800_and_GSM_850.2F1900 )
  • On 3G nope, either the American continent or rest of the world AFAIK (EU should also work on many latin-american countries AFAIK, US on the rest; some don't overlap).
  • On 4G nope, either the American continent or rest of the world AFAIK (EU should also work on many latin-american countries AFAIK, US on the rest; some don't overlap).

OK, so the EU 4G module would be compatible with the Australian 4G mobile broadband spectrum? That's what I'm wondering about.
I seem to recall (emphasis on seem) that Australia and EU share many frequencies, but you should check with someone that is actually sure.
According to the spec sheet and a Wikipedia listing on Australian frequencies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks#Oceania) many overlap, it should be fine for all but NBN Co AFAIK (it uses a frequency not even the US one supports according to that page).

Hmm since 3G is cheap, could you put that in the base model and 4G in the upper end model, and use the combined 3G +4G chip purchase to meet your minimum chip purchase?

(this may be completely ridiculous)
That will only work if they allow him to combine different chips into the purchase to meet the minimum. They may not like that. Also, if he can do that, he could just get a mixture of US and EU 4G chips.

You know, there's also a PLS8-X and PLS8-V, are those suitable for all regions? I don't understand the difference.

AFAIK PLS8-X supports a few more frequencies (but none EU), maybe a latin American or CDMA hybrid? PLS8-V is CDMA. I think... For both...

Huh, alright. Well for my desired use case mobile data and voice/SMS is a must, so I hope this can be worked out.
If you want Voice, messages and 90s data speeds, US LTE will get you that worldwide. If you want faster speed worldwide you'll want the 3G, but I feel like such people might be a niche in a niche (?).

If fast data, voice and SMS reliably is really a must for you and/or your job, you should probably aim to get a more reliable phone that can tether to the Pyra IMHO.

EDIT: I can't spell...

My desire for mobile data and voice/SMS is that I want to ditch my phone and just have the Pyra with an earpiece.

I want to carry only one device.

Then if you travel between the US and somewhere else consistently and you have a data plan (or plans) that gives you internet on both countries, you'll be wanting 3G. I would like to know how many prospective Pyra buyers are in this position, as I'd very much like faster 3G and LTE tbh...

No I've never been to the EU, and wouldn't mind being 2G only while visiting there. So I would very much like a PLS8-US chip, but I will settle for the PHS8 if I must.

I think it would be a bit of a disappointment if the first batch is 3G and not the 4G.

This is just a "me too" for the preference for US 4G, but willingness to settle for 3G as long it will potentially be usable for voice and SMS.

I think it would be a bit of a disappointment if the first batch is 3G and not the 4G.
It may be the only way for US buyers to have any mobile at all though. If first batch is 3 and second batch is 4 that's possibly the only way to compromise. Hopefully they'll let him order a mixture of chips though.

Back