Pandora Buying A Beagleboard While Waiting For Pandora

- it supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and 1.x etc ..
And the good thing is: I'm going to buy one to replace my iphone first generation (I don't like to call it 2G, but well..) The bad thing: it runs macosx, not linux, so apps have to be adapted to objetive-C (you can mix objective-C with C/C++, but you can't compile a C/C++ only app for the iphone) And Qt doesn't run on the iphone, so it'll be impossible to test my interface (and it has half of the resolution) Qt now belongs to Nokia, so no port, never.

Last edited by a moderator:
- it supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and 1.x etc ..
And the good thing is: I'm going to buy one to replace my iphone first generation (I don't like to call it 2G, but well..) The bad thing: it runs macosx, not linux, so apps have to be adapted to objetive-C (you can mix objective-C with C/C++, but you can't compile a C/C++ only app for the iphone) And Qt doesn't run on the iphone, so it'll be impossible to test my interface (and it has half of the resolution"] Qt now belongs to Nokia, so no port, never.[/quote]Well, in our engine we have about 80 C++ files and, I think, 5 .mm (ObjectiveC++) files. The only objective code you need to write is for bootstraping OpenGL ES and for event handling.
In fact, we do our development on Windows using Visual C++ .. the bottom line is if you plan ahead and only care about OpenGL based apps, you can easily abstract iPhone specific stuff in just a few simple classes.

files. The only objective code you need to write is for bootstraping OpenGL ES and for event handling.
In fact, we do our development on Windows using Visual C++ .. the bottom line is if you plan ahead and only care about OpenGL based apps, you can easily abstract iPhone specific stuff in just a few simple classes.
I know, I know, that's why I said you can mix objective-c with c++ :)

Qt now belongs to Nokia, so no port, never.
Well, no official port, anyway - is there any good reason why someone other than Nokia can't provide a port?
Yeah, like licensing and IP stuff? :"]
Or maybe we should find someone who's got the muscles to risk meeting Nokia in court? <joke>[/quote]Ever heard about this thing; I think it's called open source software? It's supposed to be pretty nice; you can take someones code and do whatever you want with it, even compile it for a competing product.

Ever heard about this thing; I think it's called open source software? It's supposed to be pretty nice; you can take someones code and do whatever you want with it, even compile it for a competing product.
Ever heard of something called a license? It basically tells you what you can and can't do with someones code, even if they decide to make it open-source ;)

Ever heard about this thing; I think it's called open source software? It's supposed to be pretty nice; you can take someones code and do whatever you want with it, even compile it for a competing product.
Ever heard of something called a license? It basically tells you what you can and can't do with someones code, even if they decide to make it open-source ;"]
I've heard about it and "compiling for a competing product" is something that said license must allow to comply with the open source definition.[/quote]The reason why I don't see QT for the iPhone as very likely is on the iPhone side: would apple allow it?

Where is this open source definition?

There's no need to comply with anything as far as I'm aware, as they own the rights to the code, and its there license.

Back