Got My Beagleboard For Bootstrapping ..

jdh2550 said:
I've been looking at these but they are kind of pricey - has anyone found anything cheaper?
Do you absolutely need DVI? HDMI -> DVI -> VGA may seem a bit awkward, but there are a ton of small touchscreen LCD panels on Ebay with VGA inputs for around $150. Here's an example. It even has the same 800x480 resolution as the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
jdh2550 said:
I've been looking at these but they are kind of pricey - has anyone found anything cheaper?
Do you absolutely need DVI? HDMI -> DVI -> VGA may seem a bit awkward, but there are a ton of small touchscreen LCD panels on Ebay with VGA inputs for around $150. Here's an example. It even has the same 800x480 resolution as the Pandora.

Absolutely. Its not that we need DVI, its that the Beagle does not output an analogue signal i.e. unless you have a digital-->analogue converter box, VGA is not possible.

-(e)

torpor said:
Hey, thats what I'm using mine for - MIDI, synthesis and sampling. Its freakin' awesome! Just gotta find a screen with touchpad and I'm set!
Well so far I have LinuxSampler compiling :). Tho there are some issues (backend runs fine, QT front end does not, not sure why yet) and there is an ASM timestamp routine I had to replace with a less than optimal gettimeofday() hack.

What have you done with it?
-(e)

(Post split into a new topic.) Original post here by sweetlilmre, Today, 10:02pm GMT:

jdh2550 said:
On topic (I think): the BB has an S-Video output and there are a tonne of really cheap small monitors with just composite video input. (is that the right terminology? I mean the yellow RCA Jack) Can S-Video be interfaced to composite video? If so, would that be a worthwhile endeavor or would the results be hideously crappy?
Interesting idea and possibly enough for what I would need. Do you have a link or two?
-(e)

================================================
Original post before I hijacked it:

Chip said:
jdh2550 said:

The Beagleboard does HDMI only.

Svartalf said:
(Post split into a new topic.) Original post here by sweetlilmre, Today, 10:02pm GMT:

jdh2550 said:
On topic (I think): the BB has an S-Video output and there are a tonne of really cheap small monitors with just composite video input. (is that the right terminology? I mean the yellow RCA Jack) Can S-Video be interfaced to composite video? If so, would that be a worthwhile endeavor or would the results be hideously crappy?
Interesting idea and possibly enough for what I would need. Do you have a link or two?
-(e)

Here's link
or
two
or
three

I've no idea if they'd be any good or not.

Svartalf said:
Original post before I hijacked it:

Chip said:
jdh2550 said:

The Beagleboard does HDMI only.

huh not exactly, the connector is HDMI but the output is really DVI. Sure you can connect through HDMI to a HDTV set, but the screen is flipping/flickering. Connected to a DVI LCD, the screen is perfect.

hlide said:
huh not exactly, the connector is HDMI but the output is really DVI. Sure you can connect through HDMI to a HDTV set, but the screen is flipping/flickering. Connected to a DVI LCD, the screen is perfect.
Considering that I've hooked DVI to HDMI (My HTPC...) and not had the same issue, I'm kind of curious what might be going on there as it ought to just simply work in the large- I suspect that it's to do with the set more than what's observed. I guess I'll find out around the 1st week of Dec. :D

jdh2550 said:
Here's link
or
two
or
three

I've no idea if they'd be any good or not.

I'm of the opinion you'll do good to see NTSC SD resolutions with those units. They're sorta "okay" for an NTSC DVD player or an SD converter tuner- but as a monitor, they're going to stink on ice. The only way you're going to see good resolution is with something like Xenarc's DVI/VGA 7"- and they're not cheap... ;)

Just to clarify : Beagle output is HDMI which means it is compatible with DVI-D and not DVI-A (at least not without a non passive converter).

Svartalf said:
I'm of the opinion you'll do good to see NTSC SD resolutions with those units. They're sorta "okay" for an NTSC DVD player or an SD converter tuner- but as a monitor, they're going to stink on ice. The only way you're going to see good resolution is with something like Xenarc's DVI/VGA 7"- and they're not cheap... ;)
Oh, I know you're right. I'm toying with the idea of a digital dash with large easy to read gauges and fonts (for my electric motorcycle). So, I'm wondering if I can be cheap and get a 5" display and whether it will work for what I want...

Just got my Beagle Board as well. Too bad it's not the latest upcoming revision with an actual working USB host port ...

I'll hopefully be up and running with this, and I can start poking around at things like seeing how trivial it would be to adapt E-UAE to the ARM. But the first thing to do is port my Lisp dialect. ;)

Now, to find a IDC10 to DB9 cable in Chicago ... Microcenter doesn't have it.

Sigh. Just ordered a $1.60 part, and had it sent via $30 next day air, so I can work on my Beagle Board this weekend. Couldn't find a IDC10 to DB9 in Chicago easily. Microcenter gave me a blank stare of incomprehension. :)

wesbrown18 said:
Sigh. Just ordered a $1.60 part, and had it sent via $30 next day air, so I can work on my Beagle Board this weekend.
Maybe you should invest in a soldering iron? ;) (Mind you I say that being a complete soldering noob and I don't even know what an IDC10 connector looks like. But, hey, it might be worth a try?)

jdh2550 said:
wesbrown18 said:
Sigh. Just ordered a $1.60 part, and had it sent via $30 next day air, so I can work on my Beagle Board this weekend.
Maybe you should invest in a soldering iron? ;) (Mind you I say that being a complete soldering noob and I don't even know what an IDC10 connector looks like. But, hey, it might be worth a try?)

I can solder, but it's a pain in the ass. Cerebral palsy does that. ;) It becomes a question of which is more important: saving my sanity and nerves, or a few dozen dollars.

It liiiiiives. I have it running Angstrom, with the GIMP, Abiword, and an xterm on my screen. :)

Has anyone already gotting a development environment bootstrapped for this board, oriented towards the Pandora? It looks like I -may- be able to self-host on Angstrom, but, wow, memory is tight if you run the eye candy Enlightenment distribution and gnome.

jdh2550 said:
...snip...
Oh, I know you're right. I'm toying with the idea of a digital dash with large easy to read gauges and fonts (for my electric motorcycle). So, I'm wondering if I can be cheap and get a 5" display and whether it will work for what I want...
I brought a PS2 travel pack for 20 quid (now gone back to 25 quid) which has a 5in screen. You will need to create a cable for it is it has 2 * 3.5in audio jack connectors rather then phono connectors and if you want to run it anyware but a car you need a PSU the can deliver 7.5 at about 1A. The nice thing with this is that you even get a free back to carry around your beagle board + bits like I do. I'm sure any PS1/2 or xbox screen could be used, I just got that one as it was the cheapest :).

Back