Got My Beagleboard For Bootstrapping ..

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
.. development for Pandora.

Anyone else using the BeagleBoard to bootstrap an app, ready for release on the Pandora when it comes? Got any clues, hints, tips, tricks I should be aware of in such an effort?

Mostly I plan to use the BeagleBoard to get my toolchain stuff ready for the Pandora when it arrives. I still have to get an LCD for it though .. anyone got suggestions in that department?

For how cheap they are now, I'd just buy a PC LCD monitor and connect it to that - it's going to be much better in the long run than use a small lcd that you have to keep staring at, and it'll be much quicker to implement.

Or perhaps you could with a usb LCD?

I've got one :p . I plan to make it into a STB but also as a pre-pandora. I brought the board + PSU (so it can be USB host + HDMI -> DVI and USB OTG cable all for about 110 quid, not too bad I think.

I've got a PS2 travel pack and will get a ultra mini keyboard & mouse so I can take my dev kit with me, no mater where I go :).

When I have some time (probably after Christmas) I'll look into trying to get Homeworld running on my Beagle (Using Mesa to start with).

I've got one too. What lacks is a linux on PC which allows me to use the PC keyboard and mouse and USB devices to be used for BB through the usb connection. If someone knows how to do, I'm interested.

hlide said:
What lacks is a linux on PC which allows me to use the PC keyboard and mouse and USB devices to be used for BB through the usb connection. If someone knows how to do, I'm interested.

Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more interested in having this system be totally complete - i.e. I don't really want to plug it into a PC monitor, because I will eventually embed it in something and therefore I would like to get an LCD for it specifically.

If anyone knows an easy way to get a good-quality LCD for the Beagleboard rigged up, please let me know. Ideally it would be similar enough to the Pandora LCD ..

torpor said:
I'm more interested in having this system be totally complete - i.e. I don't really want to plug it into a PC monitor, because I will eventually embed it in something and therefore I would like to get an LCD for it specifically.

If anyone knows an easy way to get a good-quality LCD for the Beagleboard rigged up, please let me know. Ideally it would be similar enough to the Pandora LCD ..
My personal choice would be the FPD1775W from Gateway, as it is the only 1280x720 display I know of (and I mean 1280x720, not 768 or 800 or even 1366x768).

But that is a 17" wide-screen so I am pretty sure you wouldn't want it.

Try looking on the lumenlab.com forums, they have a section with small high-resolution displays, some with DVI/HDMI. They use them to convert into a DIY projector setup, they might have something that would work for you.

torpor said:

Anyone else using the BeagleBoard to bootstrap an app, ready for release on the Pandora when it comes? Got any clues, hints, tips, tricks I should be aware of in such an effort?

Mostly I plan to use the BeagleBoard to get my toolchain stuff ready for the Pandora when it arrives. I still have to get an LCD for it though .. anyone got suggestions in that department?
Check out: this guide to get started reliably.
Expect a looooong initial compile unless you edit your bitbake settings for parallel make and have a multi-proc cpu.

I've been building images and compiling stuff for a while, and although OE is a beast to get your head around initially, once you get going its awesome. Check #beagle on freenode for help, be patient! The devs there are insanely busy! :)

cbox said:
I googled 800 x 480 lcd vga and found quite a few options out there, here's an example:

http://www.xenarc.com/product/700yv.html

might be some with touch screen as well

This will do nothing for you, you need a monitor with a DVI input. Make sure you get the HDMI->DVI cable when ordering your Beagle. Also you need a miniB usb connector and a usb host port to make an OTG cable or apparently you can buy them pre-made.

PM me if you need help.

-(e)
[edit: wrong quote]

sweetlilmre said:
torpor said:

Expect a looooong initial compile unless you edit your bitbake settings for parallel make and have a multi-proc cpu.

I've been building images and compiling stuff for a while, and although OE is a beast to get your head around initially, once you get going its awesome. Check #beagle on freenode for help, be patient! The devs there are insanely busy! :)

cbox said:
I googled 800 x 480 lcd vga and found quite a few options out there, here's an example:

http://www.xenarc.com/product/700yv.html

might be some with touch screen as well

This will do nothing for you, you need a monitor with a DVI input. Make sure you get the HDMI->DVI cable when ordering your Beagle. Also you need a miniB usb connector and a usb host port to make an OTG cable or apparently you can buy them pre-made.

PM me if you need help.

-(e)
[edit: wrong quote]

There are DVI to VGA adapters, pretty basic to connect that way on older LCDs.

cbox said:
There are DVI to VGA adapters, pretty basic to connect that way on older LCDs.
And they are expensive. Making the purchase of a VGA only LCD pretty pointless, wouldn't you say?

[edit: clarification] You can't just use one of those VGA->DVI adapter plugs, you need a proper analogue->digital converter which is VERY expensive.

-(e)

sweetlilmre said:
Check #beagle on freenode for help, be patient! The devs there are insanely busy! :)

That's a nice place to be, people are really helpful there, but do your homework before asking trivial questions ;)

sweetlilmre said:

Thanks for that, yeah I'm following along ..

sweetlilmre said:
I've been an OE user for a long time - first in the days of my Zaurus collie handheld, then with the OpenMoko neo1973/Freerunner (grrr...), and now with the BeagleBoard .. its okay. I've done the bitbake dance. I guess the big question for me though is whether I should focus on doing the OE thing, or something else, for the BeagleBoard .. in anticipation of using the same rig as a bootstrap for Pandora, which as far as I can tell is going to be running Ubuntu-ARM at first, then it'll run a bare-bones native system?

So I'd like to get my BeagleBoard as close to similar to the Pandora config as possible. Any Pandora devs got a comment for me on this?

sweetlilmre said:
I bought a HDMI->DVI cable yesterday, now I gotta buy a new monitor .. *or* find an LCD panel that is just plug and play. I could have sworn I saw something like this on here a few months ago, ah well .. I guess I'll just keep looking.

torpor said:
I bought a HDMI->DVI cable yesterday, now I gotta buy a new monitor .. *or* find an LCD panel that is just plug and play. I could have sworn I saw something like this on here a few months ago, ah well .. I guess I'll just keep looking.
My PC LCD monitor has a VGA and a DVI input. I have my PC on the VGA connection, and the Beagle on the DVI. I just have to press a button on the front to toggle between the two, which makes life fairly easy. Do you have a different setup?

If you do find a DVI capable panel, please let me know! :)

-(e)

sweetlilmre said:
[My PC LCD monitor has a VGA and a DVI input. I have my PC on the VGA connection, and the Beagle on the DVI. I just have to press a button on the front to toggle between the two, which makes life fairly easy. Do you have a different setup?
If you do find a DVI capable panel, please let me know! :)
-(e)

I don't have a monitor that is DVI-capable .. and I'd sort not like to buy one, although it would definitely be nice to have a 26" screen these days. The point is mostly that I want the beagleboard itself to be 'complete' - I plan on embedding it into something soon, and it wouldn't be very useful if it doesn't have a screen, so its really a matter of finding the right LCD panel .. I'll keep looking and get back to you if I find something interesting. I could have sworn I'd seen some sort of kit like this somewhere ..

torpor said:
I don't have a monitor that is DVI-capable .. and I'd sort not like to buy one, although it would definitely be nice to have a 26" screen these days. The point is mostly that I want the beagleboard itself to be 'complete' - I plan on embedding it into something soon, and it wouldn't be very useful if it doesn't have a screen, so its really a matter of finding the right LCD panel .. I'll keep looking and get back to you if I find something interesting. I could have sworn I'd seen some sort of kit like this somewhere ..
I also want a complete Beagle system, I am trying to use the Beagle as a 'hardware' sampler.
Got all the bits except for that LCD :)
-(e)

Hey, thats what I'm using mine for - MIDI, synthesis and sampling. Its freakin' awesome! Just gotta find a screen with touchpad and I'm set!

Back