Calcurse not launching

moxie

The voice of reason, sense and exasperation
Staff member
Thought I'd try cube48s port of calcurse, but I can't seem to get it to launch on my Pandora? Or rather, it launches, blinks into existence, and dies again. Anybody got any similar experience, or anybody got it to run?

Latest updated OS (1.60), rebirth model, nothing weird as far as I know. I can't really see what the error is from the /tmp/pndrun... file - The most promising thing I see is an "inappropriate ioctl for device" error in plink.c, but that seems to be after it quits (it is after the line "uMount the PND"). 

Ideas?

I got it to run without problems (1 GHz, one of the latest firmwares). Hmm, how can I read /tmp/pndrun... file while calcurse is running? Ctrl-Tab doesn´t work.

Just press short on the Pandora key, the menu will popup, from there select a shell or FileManager

alternative 2: Press Start+Select+DOWN (control alt down) and get a fresh clean desktop.... *(same but UP to go back

Reboot, launch directly on bootup, still the same thing. I did try to mount the pnd manually and run the binary from inside the pnd, and it worked perfectly, but it does write to /home/moxie, then. The run script does export $HOME to the usual incantation for getting the appdata dir, but my (admittedly unskilled) experiments suggests that that does not work, and that the binary uses some other method for getting the wd, since no matter what $HOME is, the binary still writes to /home/moxie. Trying to write-protect /home/moxie and then running the binary gets a crash, and that ought to be what the pnd sees when it is run normally, so my vote is on it trying to write to the nand and failing.

There is an option (flag) for setting the wd, so it ought to be easy to modify the run script to use that instead. Those of you who has gotten it to work - Have you done it on plain vanilla setups, or do you by any chance have the OS on an SD or some other trickery?

And: Is there an easy way for me to override the run script inside the pnd for testing purposes? Is it enough to copy it to the appdata dir and modify it there?

Hmm ... weird. Launching script within PND just overrides HOME variable to 'current' directory which is in the end /media/CARD/pandora/appdata/calcurse.

You can try to mount the PND, copy all of it's content to directory of your choice and then launch 'run_calcurse.sh'. It should work in the same fashion only without PND mojo around. If this works then the problem must lie in PND mechanism.

Well, I did mount the PND manually, and even though I had changed HOME, calcurse still wrote to /home/moxie instead of /media/CARD/... and so on. So something is weird.

Back