Can a Pandora replace MY smartphone+gaming handheld?

If it did, I must say that they haven't occurred on my Pandora. I was getting the pnd_run errors frequently before installing it, but nothing else after that. Your mileage may vary, of course! :lol:

Well, as it seems now, I'm not sure if I'll get my pandora back before HF6 is released, so I might never know :p

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of issues do you mean?

Like the ones mentioned here. Seeing as a VAT rise raised the price of OP to 460E, with all those dual-cores around closing in the OP price tag (LG Optimus 2X f.e., it's also getting modding attention) and the iCP getting more developing attention. I'm starting to have dillemas again. I'd be willing to sacrifice a few more features, though (such as HDMI, camera and radio) if only I know that what I'll be using will be rock stable.

what are you gonna be using?

The device in general. If it's about programs, the selling point of dual-cores ahead of the OP is the N64 emulation due to the extra muscle (even OoT plays perfectly without choppy sound)

I actually can't find any extant issues listed there. Please can you actually state what you're concerned about?
From the post:

I found plenty of bugs in the Angstrom OS from randomly disabled lcd backlight, to controllers and touchscreen working even though the device is asleep

The backlight seems like an issue in case of watching a video or a cutscene in a game. I don't believe it will refuse to return to normal after a button press.

Thanks Nognir. :)

I actually can't find any extant issues listed there. Please can you actually state what you're concerned about?
From the post:

I found plenty of bugs in the Angstrom OS from randomly disabled lcd backlight, to controllers and touchscreen working even though the device is asleep

The backlight seems like an issue in case of watching a video or a cutscene in a game. I don't believe it will refuse to return to normal after a button press.
If it's of any help, the backlight doesn't randomly get disabled, and this has never been the case. There is an admittedly somewhat bizarre setting that was introduced in Hotfix 4, which automatically puts the display to sleep after about five minutes. This can be turned off, albeit not in the GUI (you have to edit a text file), and I've done this on my unit with no issues. I haven't kept up with recent developments, but I would guess that this will be better-addressed in Hotfix 6.

As for problems occurring when the device is asleep, that's actually impossible. The Pandora doesn't have a sleep mode implemented at this time.

I'll take that into consideration. Still, I'd still be on the lookout whether a cheaper alternative does appear or not. Or even whether the development for the OP's successor begins.

If there was still an option for the old way of preordering I'd choose that, the 7-day delivery pricetag is way too high the way the daily expenses are getting pricier.

I'll take that into consideration. Still, I'd still be on the lookout whether a cheaper alternative does appear or not. Or even whether the development for the OP's successor begins.

If there was still an option for the old way of preordering I'd choose that, the 7-day delivery pricetag is way too high the way the daily expenses are getting pricier.
I wouldn't wait for a successor, I guess there will be one, but not soon. If you can wait a few years, then the Pandoras successor might be something for you. ;-)

I wouldn't wait for a successor, I guess there will be one, but not soon. If you can wait a few years, then the Pandoras successor might be something for you. ;-)
Bluntly, besides the price tag the thing that keeps me sceptic is its outdated specs, and there's a limit to what can be achieved with optimum software on 2008 specs. It's already almost a miracle that it emulates N64, but it has been left behind by Samsung's Galaxy S and everything stronger than that, regarding emulation not requiring keyboard (Amiga f.e.). It's just that the games I want to play most from N64 (the Zeldas) play with that irritating choppy sound. I'll just wait and see.

its outdated specs, and there's a limit to what can be achieved with optimum software on 2008 specs. It's already almost a miracle that it emulates N64, but it has been left behind by Samsung's Galaxy S and everything stronger than that

It's already been addressed many times. There's no way for mobile gaming device to keep up with smartphones. I guess even Sony's NGP will be outdated when it's released. So unless you are not interested in gaming there's no use comparing pandora to phones hardware wise.

It's already been addressed many times. There's no way for mobile gaming device to keep up with smartphones. I guess even Sony's NGP will be outdated when it's released. So unless you are not interested in gaming there's no use comparing pandora to phones hardware wise.
Well, I am interested in gaming, otherwise I wouldn't know of the OP at all. The end performance of the emulators is the point of interest. And IMHO, NGP hardware-wise won't be outdated for almost a year (quad-core)

Pandora N64 is just not perfect, hopefully it will improve, but i wouldn't hold my breath
In due time it will...and I have a feeling that later this year we might see some real developments + improvements on speed and compatibility.
Hopefully. If they get OoT and Majora's Mask to play full speed with proper sound and we're set.

quad core has nothing to do with memory, even though only three of those cores will be used for gameos

To kinda update this thread, I've got myself an N900 with a cracked display. So far it's overclocked successfully to 1150MHz and dual-booted by Maemo and Android (Nitdroid project). While overclocked, I can get good playable framerates on FF VII (psx4droid) and Ocarina Of Time (mupen64plus, albeit some graphical glitches concerning textures usually). Only woes are about the ABYSMAL battery life and the controls. Looks like I'm abandoning the Pandora for a battery pack and an iControlPad when all is supported.

Ggo3C.jpg

hmm normal bbcode resizing doesn't seem to work..

Back