Can't Get Dosbox Working

Thanks for your reply!
Pickle said:
First you mentioned the VK (virt keyboard), its all button driven it doesnt react to the touchscreen if thats what you were expecting to do.

Indeed that's what I was expecting. Probably I'm pre-occupied, but with "key mapper", I expect something that maps keys to buttons and with "virtual keyboard" I expect something that emulates an onscreen keyboard, be it joystick selectable (eg. like the one in vice or frodo) or touchscreen selectable. Making the full keyboard accessible in some way could greatly improve the usability of dosbox, since it's pretty hard to "type" sentences (like in text adventures) with only a limited number of keys available.

Pretty much you map a key to turn it on and start turns it off.
Getting back to the menu can be done a number of ways
First to tell dosbox to quit you can:
1. Exit the game normally and have an exit command in your autoexec section of the dosbox.conf to terminate dosbox
2. Theres a built in mapper action that can be mapped to a button that can terminate dosbox in whatever state its in,
Once dosbox has terminted there are two ways to start up gmenu2x
1. Set your icon in gmenu2x to restart itself (I use this method)
2. Put the commands yourself in the mygame.gpe script

Any more questions just fire away,

I will look into it and try to make a convenient mappper. However, a full overview of all special mappings would greatly improve the readme in my opinion. Like the good old ASCII tables :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Squirrel61 said:
Indeed that's what I was expecting. Probably I'm pre-occupied, but with "key mapper", I expect something that maps keys to buttons and with "virtual keyboard" I expect something that emulates an onscreen keyboard, be it joystick selectable (eg. like the one in vice or frodo) or touchscreen selectable. Making the full keyboard accessible in some way could greatly improve the usability of dosbox, since it's pretty hard to "type" sentences (like in text adventures) with only a limited number of keys available.

Have you used the VK? It has most of keys needed in it?

Squirrel61 said:
I will look into it and try to make a convenient mappper. However, a full overview of all special mappings would greatly improve the readme in my opinion. Like the good old ASCII tables :D

Ive given examples of every special key mapping in the readme, isnt that enough?

i'm trying to make discworld work, shouldnt be too demanding or anything, but every time i start using disc.gpe, i get a screen with a mouse cursor, then it goes back to the menu. heres the code bits.

disc.gpe
CODE
#! /bin/sh
DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/dosbox
DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/pork
cd ${DIRGAME}
${DIRROOT}/dosbox -conf ${DIRGAME}/dosbox.conf
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

autoexec portion
CODE
[autoexec]
mount C "/mnt/sd/pork"
c:
disc.bat
exit

pork is the directory im using, disc.bat is what i use to launch the program in dosbox on windows. it only echo's dwb.exe, and i've tried using that as well. i dont suppose theres anything you can do to help, im sorta at a loss. disc.gpe, dosbox.conf, mapper.txt are all in /mnt/sd/dosbox/pork

I haven't used dosbox on the gp2x yet, but doesn't DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/dosbox and DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/pork mean the game is in /mnt/sd/dosbox/pork? If so, shouldn't the command be mount C "/mnt/sd/dosbox/pork" instead of mount C "/mnt/sd/pork", correct? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. If you need me I'll be under my rock. :)

frefol said:
I haven't used dosbox on the gp2x yet, but doesn't DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/dosbox and DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/pork mean the game is in /mnt/sd/dosbox/pork? If so, shouldn't the command be mount C "/mnt/sd/dosbox/pork" instead of mount C "/mnt/sd/pork", correct? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. If you need me I'll be under my rock. :)
ah good catch, i didnt look at close enough it looks like. If nathonix does what I suggest too, he should see that mount command fail.

Back