Can't get USB Joystick or iControlPad to work

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
I really feel like an idiot posting this thread but I'm at wits end here. Today while doing some spring cleaning, I found my old GP2X gear, or what's left of it, a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2. Plugging that into a Transcend RDP7 USB Hub (yes it's 2.0). The Logitech gets power to the transmitter and it reads positively when I press buttons on the controller. But for instance PanMAME doesn't find the controller.

So then I broke out the iControlPad and tried to pair that with the Pandora. I've tried several modes and have just become frustrated by all of this.

I mean, using the Logitech with a GP2X dock was a very easy thing to hook up. I've used the iControlPad in the past with an iPhone. Why in the world can I get neither to work on the Pandora?

Anyone care to help and preserve my sanity?

OK, I've got the Logitech working with PicoDrive somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit unsure here, so I'm just going to go with an obvious question in order to be sure that all bases are covered. :p

Have you tried the Logitech pad with an emulator or other program known to support external controllers properly, firstly? I know that PicoDrive definitely does, for example.

Alternatively, perhaps there's not enough power getting to the transmitter. Do you have a powered hub that you can try with?

With regard to the Bluetooth stuff, I'm afraid that I don't have any suggestions at all, as it's a technology that I don't use. Sorry about that.

I've got Picodrive working with the Logitech controller, just had to configure the buttons. So I think its getting enough of power, I'm not using a powered hub.

Maybe I should ask in the PanMAME thread for anything I might be missing setting up the Logitech there.

I like the idea of the ICP instead because that way I don't need a transmitter and USB Hub hanging out of the back of my Pandora, but I'll take whatever will let me use the TV Out and allow me to do what I envisioned the Pandora being able to do way back in 2008 when I was playing the GP2X from across the room on a monitor. Bluetooth is technology I don't use much either, and Pandora is the only device I spend any serious time gaming on.

Thanks Prom!

Just a note here, I'm trying all this on the old kernel as bluetooth isn't working on the experimental.

^ It might be that PanMAME has a bug or something that's preventing the use of external controllers, if it is meant to support them.

I'm afraid I have no further suggestions, though, but I'm glad to have been of at least a little help, here. :)

I've got the ICP to work before.. I Haven't tried it since hotfix 6 though.. But it was tricky to get the connection to work, it seemed that it didn't sync all the time.. You need to use the ICP in either Joystick or gamepad mode. I remember scanning for the device and then it prompts you to enter the pin.. it should be 1234.

^

Thanks TrashyMG, will give that 1234 a try on all the different modes. Is there a way to enter that 1234 with the ICP?

No, but it seems that is what is needed to entered on the Pandora side It should give you an option to select 1234 or type it on the bluetooth setting.

Select 1234 on the OP BEFORE pairing, or it won't work.

No, you don't have to enter anything on the iCP.

Do you have to create a node for the joystick using

mknod /dev/input/js2 c 13 2

assuming js0 and js1 are reserved for the nubs.

I'm not particularly good with Linux but it seems logical that you would have to.

I swear I had mine working in Joystick mode.. I need to play with it again.

Back