can't install espeak...

DAP

Tried to follow instructions near the end of this page:

http://pandorawiki.org/GPS

When I try and install espeak I get a rather uninformitive error message:

Collected errors:

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package espeak.

Does anyone know what this is intended to mean?

Try

Code:
sudo opkg update

before the install.

(of course, you have to be connected on the net)

Try

Code:
sudo opkg update

before the install.

Doing that was in the guide he linked unless he missed it.

What I'm wondering is if Espeak is in the current Pandora repository.. back when that guide was created we were still using the default angstrom repository which at times could break your firmware install.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in the current repository are only pandoraspecific things.

Maybe you have to add the angstrom repository again?

Try

Code:
sudo opkg update

before the install.

Doing that was in the guide he linked unless he missed it.
I added it... :rolleyes:

Well played.
The "sudo opkg update" was there in the wiki when I followed the instructions, and I did that command sucessfully before attempting to install espeak.

My primary complaint is that the error message gives me no clue what went wrong.

I don't know if the package is not in the repository.

I don't know if the package is incompatible.

I don't know if the package requeres some dependancey that does not exist.

I don't know if the internet connection was blocked.

I have no idea where to begin debugging this issue.

The "sudo opkg update" was there in the wiki when I followed the instructions, and I did that command sucessfully before attempting to install espeak.

My primary complaint is that the error message gives me no clue what went wrong.

I don't know if the package is not in the repository.

I don't know if the package is incompatible.

I don't know if the package requeres some dependancey that does not exist.

I don't know if the internet connection was blocked.

I have no idea where to begin debugging this issue.

opkg isn't as friendly as it could be, but you can get more information from it by changing the verbosity level (e.g. sudo opkg -V 2 install espeak). In your case, the problem is that espeak is not in the repository that the OS now uses (see here: http://www.openpandora.org/feeds/unstable/armv7a/). Previous versions of the OS used the repository provided by the Angstrom distribution, but this is now too out-of-sync with our OS to be safely used for most cases. The wiki page you were reading should really be updated to reflect this.

Generally, error messages from opkg mean that the package isn't available. It'll never be a problem of compatibility, because everything in the repo is compatible. It won't usually be a dependency problem, because opkg automatically downloads required dependencies, and informs you when it can't. As for your internet connection, if 'opkg update' works, then 'opkg install' will do too.

Anyways, if you still want espeak, do this:

Code:
sudo opkg install http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/libportaudio2_v19+svnr1387-r0.6_armv7a.ipk

sudo opkg install http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/espeak_1.37-r0.5_armv7a.ipk

I just went through the hassle of installing gpsd. This method of installation does not handle dependencies well. I had to manually install the dependencies before I could install gpsd.

Reviving this thread since my GPS has arrived and I can't get it to work.

sudo rfcomm connect 0

gives me a "syntax error line 22", but connects anyway. (fixed this. I had missed the quotes around GPS in the rfcomm.conf file).

Running the following while connected:

cat /dev/rfcomm0

streams data (I'm afraid I would not recognize if this was in the proper format).

Running either FoxtrotGPS or modRana, both behave as if the GPS does not exist.

I installed conBTGPS, but that tool says "There is no communication running on RFcomm0 Make sure your BT GPS is on.". The Bluetooth LED on the GPS does not show a connection during this.

In case it matters, the GPS is the Qstarz 818XT

The bluetooth preferences shows the device as "Qstarz 818XT", but says type is "unknown" even though when pairing it, it recognized that it was a GPS and asked if I wanted to set this as the default GS.

Well, after rebooting the Pandora a couple of times, and power cycling the GPS, it has started working.

I don't know why.

In any case it appears that the routing functionality on modRama is broken, I can't seem to set up a route.

Also I ran into a bug. If the network is not connected when trying to download a tile, it fails, and there appears to be nothing that can be done to cause it to download the failed tiles once they have failed.

Indeed, address to address online routing in Modrana is broken in this version. Point to point is working for me. Author released a new version in the meanwhile, I'll try to update PND asap.

Maybe you can try the off-line routing in the meanwhile. See the instructions here: http://wiki.maemo.org/ModRana_offline_routing_guide.

Edit: Updated version of Modrana 0.39.5 is in the repo now. Address2address routing is fixed.

Edit: Offline routing link fixed

I installed the update and online routing now works, Thanks.

BTW, somhow the period at the end of the sentance got included in your link to the offline routing gide which made it a link to nowhere.

The offline routing looks promising, but rather complicated. It is also necessary if I wish to use my pandora as intended for GPS navigation.

I'm reviving this thread because I upgraded to Super Zaxxon 1.54 (had to do a clean install since the updater screwed up), and now the 1st of the two commands required to install espeak hangs forever (I let it sit for more than an hour).

Fremon, can you update your commands, and perhaps give a clue to figuring out what the commands need to be so we don't need to pester you after every update?

Thanks.

I'm reviving this thread because I upgraded to Super Zaxxon 1.54 (had to do a clean install since the updater screwed up), and now the 1st of the two commands required to install espeak hangs forever (I let it sit for more than an hour).

Fremon, can you update your commands, and perhaps give a clue to figuring out what the commands need to be so we don't need to pester you after every update?

Thanks.

You could try the mirror-links:

Code:
sudo opkg install http://feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/libportaudio2_v19+svnr1387-r0.6_armv7a.ipk

sudo opkg install http://feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/espeak_1.37-r0.5_armv7a.ipk

This worked. Thank you.

Now I am confused. Those commands appear to be exactly the same as the ones that hung on every attempt when I tried to use them yesterday.

They worked this time, I don't know why.

Back