Cave Story ~~ Doukutsu Monogatari

Hmm...the HW accelerated version works perfectly for me at 200mhz. In fact I could probably go lower. I haven't tried that.

One thing about the controls. Generally, the bottom button, in this case X would be jump, and the left, in this case A would be shoot. Or in Super Metroid's case, the other two respective buttons, but that is something of a de facto standard.

P.S. Hope you will make next version overwritable, don't want to take that long installing again.

You only have to replace the .gpe files. You can even keep your save game.

Hmm...the HW accelerated version works perfectly for me at 200mhz. In fact I could probably go lower. I haven't tried that.

Yeh, the HW accelerated version has no speed problems at all. But I've seen some small graphical glitches. Like, a misaligned frame shows for a split second or sometimes a little flickering occours.

One thing about the controls. Generally, the bottom button, in this case X would be jump, and the left, in this case A would be shoot. Or in Super Metroid's case, the other two respective buttons, but that is something of a de facto standard.

You mean, either X=jump, A=shoot or Y=jump, B=shoot? Of course I can change the controls, but in the original one, Z is jump and X is shoot (on the keyboard). Z is left from X, so...
Any suggestions? Maybe I should throw in a little config file.

Anyway, I made some improvements with the music playback and fixed a problem with the text alignment. b2 will be out soon (maybe this week).

X=jump A=shoot or Super Metroid's B=jump Y=shoot.
I'm noticing saves don't always actually stick. It seems like it's always the one from the previous location that works. Say I save at location A, then location B, when I come back and load, it will load from when I saved at A, even if I save at B twice.

Are you using the MMUHack? If you are, you might want to try and use flush cache asm stuff right before the flip, reducing tearing, flickering, etc. Not sure if that's your problem, but might help ;)

P.S. If you want little chunks of help (I'm not too good of a coder though) I'll help in any way possible ;)

Simon Parzer said:

Yeh, the HW accelerated version has no speed problems at all. But I've seen some small graphical glitches. Like, a misaligned frame shows for a split second or sometimes a little flickering occours.
Hmm... the HW blitter is asnychronous, maybe you should wait for it to complete before the buffer flip OR it is a cache/DMA problem and a well timed cache flush might fix that problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm noticing saves don't always actually stick. It seems like it's always the one from the previous location that works. Say I save at location A, then location B, when I come back and load, it will load from when I saved at A, even if I save at B twice.

Ok, I'll change the controls.
About your savegame problem: Don't turn off the GP2X right after saving. It's the problem with the SD card and the write buffer. It usually takes a few seconds until the data really is on the SD.
If you quit the game before turning off the GP2X, I think the buffer is synced and you should have no problem.

Are you using the MMUHack? If you are, you might want to try and use flush cache asm stuff right before the flip, reducing tearing, flickering, etc. Not sure if that's your problem, but might help

No, I'm not using MMUHack, the performance is good enough without it (using HW blits). The problems probably are in paeryn's SDL code. But the glitches are really small, I played the HW version for a couple hours, and I only had two or three graphical errors. As soon as paeryn releases an improved HW accelerated SDL I'll recompile to fix the issues. From what I heard it's soon going to be in the official SDL tree, so there is hope that the problems get resolved.

After some experimenting and a few bug fixes (b1 crashes shortly before the end, but don't worry, you can use your savegames with the next version) I tried the "Advanced Optimizing", using -fprofile-flags with GCC4 as described by Notaz and it really helped the non-accelerated version. It's now playable at 200 MHz at framerates of 45-50, where 50 is full speed.

I'll put a new build up soon, definitely before this weekend.

Cave story on the GP2x??? Great work Simon.

THIS IS HUGE!!

Why didn't this make the front of the newspage????

Seriously...

:blink:

Why didn't this make the front of the newspage????

Because it's still beta. It will be on the newspage and in the archive as soon as I can guarantee that it's playable from beginning to end.
Also, it's still missing some vital things, like customizeable controls, an icon and so on.

Brilliant, have played this for a couple hours already as well. Cave Story is one of my favorite all-time games, so playing this on the gp2x is awesome. Thanks a lot. :)

Uh, a quick question. What version are you guys playing with? The HW accelereated (doukutsu-hw.gpe) or the software (doukutsu.gpe) one?

Has anyone yet noticed any glitches with the HW build? If so, please let me know about them (short description).

I have noticed a couple of glitches actually. In the software mode that I usually use to play, for some reason the sprite of the big helicopter like flying blobs (dunno what they are called ^^) is being duplicated when I shoot them and they flash. It's sorta like the sprite is being blitted on both sides of the screen for a few frames. I noticed that and I can reproduce it but it's hard to explain.

On the hardware version, I noticed that there is white lines in between the tiles when moving the character occasionally. That's pretty much all. I am using software mode though, as I find it fully playable and I can't stand those white lines.

Simon Parzer said:

Ok, I'll change the controls.
About your savegame problem: Don't turn off the GP2X right after saving. It's the problem with the SD card and the write buffer. It usually takes a few seconds until the data really is on the SD.
If you quit the game before turning off the GP2X, I think the buffer is synced and you should have no problem.

Are you using the MMUHack? If you are, you might want to try and use flush cache asm stuff right before the flip, reducing tearing, flickering, etc. Not sure if that's your problem, but might help

No, I'm not using MMUHack, the performance is good enough without it (using HW blits). The problems probably are in paeryn's SDL code. But the glitches are really small, I played the HW version for a couple hours, and I only had two or three graphical errors. As soon as paeryn releases an improved HW accelerated SDL I'll recompile to fix the issues. From what I heard it's soon going to be in the official SDL tree, so there is hope that the problems get resolved.

After some experimenting and a few bug fixes (b1 crashes shortly before the end, but don't worry, you can use your savegames with the next version) I tried the "Advanced Optimizing", using -fprofile-flags with GCC4 as described by Notaz and it really helped the non-accelerated version. It's now playable at 200 MHz at framerates of 45-50, where 50 is full speed.

No dice, I exit via software. It doesn't seem to matter.

Simon Parzer said:
Like, Friday? Cause I'm going on a roadtrip on Saturday and this would make the ride much more pleasant. :)

I have noticed a couple of glitches actually. In the software mode that I usually use to play, for some reason the sprite of the big helicopter like flying blobs (dunno what they are called ^^) is being duplicated when I shoot them and they flash. It's sorta like the sprite is being blitted on both sides of the screen for a few frames. I noticed that and I can reproduce it but it's hard to explain.

I know this, but I noticed it only in the hardware mode.. Must be an error in the code then. Thanks for your report. At which clock do you play the software mode, and how many FPS do you get?

About the white lines, it's the missing vsync that causes them. With the currently available SDL I can't do anything about it.

Been playing non-stop for 2-3 hours now...

Awesome!!!

Ive noticed the same graphical glitch with the flying heli/blobs and a few other minor tile glitches and minor shearing but really they dont bother me at all.
Ive been using the HW version with no over clocking and so far (grassland) is perfect even in sprite heavy scenes.

I think this should be uploaded to the archive as it is, so all the lazy people who dont check the forum often (me inc') dont miss out.

Well done! Simon Parzer for porting this, being a Castlevania addict this is easily my fav' homebrew on GP2X.

Back to it then...

I think this should be uploaded to the archive as it is, so all the lazy people who dont check the forum often (me inc') dont miss out.

No! It's still beta. From what I've recently discovered you can't play it to the end because there are some inevitable crashes.
As soon as everything's sorted out it will be uploaded to the archive.

Like, Friday? Cause I'm going on a roadtrip on Saturday and this would make the ride much more pleasant.

Sorry, couldn't do it. Found a couple of new bugs on the way. Currently I can't say when it'll be done, but maybe I'll call it 'Release' by then. I already tested everything thoroughly (most of the secrets, too) and I have a clear vision of what's to fix until I can safely release the game on the archive.

Wow, I'm so happy you are porting this! I've seen old threads on the forum wistfully talking about porting it, and bang, here you are with a playable port! It's such a beautiful gem of a game - I loved it on the PC and having it on the gp2x is amazing. Good luck on the bug fixes; so far I haven't encountered any but I also haven't played past the Egg Corridor (playing the HW .gpe). Really looking forward to the release!
Maybe someone will port Tumiki Fighters one of these days also... I discovered that game around the same time as I learned about Cave Story, would love to see it on the gp2x someday.

Back