Chance Of Running Penumbra?

The physics are based on the Newton Game Dynamics which are x86 and closed source. However, I know a person who had access to other builds (and the source I think) before and he told me its quite easy to get accesss to that.
Seeing that the Mac version is also available for PPC and not only x86 could mean that its somewhat platform independent.
It should be a matter of recompiling and tweaking things for the smaller screen / slower graphics. I would be surprised if it used any specific features which are not easy to port to GLES2.
I think there is a good chance that Penumbra will be ported - good idea :)

But I didn't even think about it before because I completed the games anyway, so its kinda unnecessary for me ;)

I thought that Penumbra was another loader!!

I didn't realise it was a mad looking horror game!

Closed Source? Case Closed?

kingoddball said:
I thought that Penumbra was another loader!!

I didn't realise it was a mad looking horror game!

Closed Source? Case Closed?
The dev team is actively interested in proving Linux as a viable platform for game developers. While they probably won't release the source code for any of us to port, the odds of them doing an ARM port of their own are significantly higher than any other commercial team that I can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
JayFoxRox said:
The physics are based on the Newton Game Dynamics which are x86 and closed source.
Newton isn't just x86, it's been available for iphone for a while.

That's great news!! Looks like a great game!!

Who know's! If the Pandora takes off: We might have many big games. I HOPE DOOM3 Opens up the source this years like they said is possible!

Maybe some other higher companies will follow suit and port some other games over like Unreal 2K4 (if it will run). I would like CUBE 2 - Open Source excellence!

Vorporeal said:
The computation required to run a pixel shader scales with screen resolution. The Pandora has a much smaller screen than your average machine (especially nowadays), so less processing power would be required to run the same pixel shaders. I'm not saying that it's possible, it's just something to keep in mind.

Indeed. I remember a while back, someone compared the SGX 530 pushing 800x480 to a GeForce 6200 pushing 1280x1024.

Probably still too weak, because it's definitely weaker when it comes to raw polys - but who knows for certain? ;)

may88 said:
Not sure I want to play this game. It looks rather scary.
It relies heavily on suspense and a brilliant way of telling the back story so your brain is forced to piece it together. There were only a few times where I can genuinely say I was scared, and I played in the dark to enhance the atmosphere.

This game is best enjoyed;
A.)In the dark
B.)In a cavernous underground laboratory filled with ravenous, supernatural wolves

kojack said:
JayFoxRox said:
The physics are based on the Newton Game Dynamics which are x86 and closed source.
Newton isn't just x86, it's been available for iphone for a while.
I think this is only true for Newton 2.0 and not 1.x. Besides this its still Beta.
Not sure if you can link in the iPhone libraries (//Edit: For Pandora / Linux) neither - probably not.

Sugar_Kane said:
This game is best enjoyed;
A.)In the dark
B.)In a cavernous underground laboratory filled with ravenous, supernatural wolves

So just like most things, really.

1.5GHz CPU and 512MB RAM required. Says it's the same for Linux. However, I'm sure if it was watered down it could happen. They thought Half-Life 2 could never run on the Xbox properly. It was watered down, sure, but it was a stable and great port in the end. Unfortunately I can't see the developer cooperating.

Edit: Sorry for the huge bump. I didn't realise the thread was this old. :eek:

I love those games, they get to me way more than Doom III. I don't think there will ever be a scary game for a handheld.

Try to get these games ported to the Pandora. It sounds like these guys are always looking for more sales!

This game is far far more system intensive than Doom 3, on both the GPU and CPU. I seriously doubt any current gen handheld will be able to run the game without some huge scaling down, a direct port to Pandora would likely just result in a slideshow.

Elanzer said:
This game is far far more system intensive than Doom 3, on both the GPU and CPU.
Really? I can run the Penumbra games on an old system that can't even touch Doom III. Did you mean Quake III?

Anyway, yeah, it will never run on the Pandora. These guys might want to make a game for the Pandora though but I'd ask after the Pandora ships.

Apparently if they sell enough of the Humble Indie Pack they will release the source code of Penumbra Overture and a couple of the other games! Article here:

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-17682-Humble-Indie-Game-Pack-Cracks-500K.html

RMJ250 said:
Apparently if they sell enough of the Humble Indie Pack they will release the source code of Penumbra Overture and a couple of the other games! Article here:

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-17682-Humble-Indie-Game-Pack-Cracks-500K.html

Had to run the video a couple of times before I _read_ it. That would certainly be good. I'm no expert but I think when the Pandora finally ships and starts selling out a second batch, for indie developers especially, they may consider the work to an ARM port worthwhile in potential sales that a release might produce. I'd certainly be willing to pay for any worthwhile indie titles from the community.

Back